An olive branch - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2004, 01:25 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 12:05 PM
An olive branch

The discussions have been getting pretty heated around here lately. Seems most of us have strong thoughts one way or the other about the upcoming election. That's ok, free thought and free speech are two of the things that make our country great.

However, I'm afraid that some of us might be suffering from political burnout and maybe becoming a little sensitive when it comes to ourselves and perhaps a bit insensitive when it comes to others.

I wanted to start this thread to tell everybody that it's ok, that everybody has the right to their point of view and that they are wonderful and intelligent people for taking the time to try to discuss what they feel and why. That sort of thing takes guts and smarts and I applaud and thank all of the people posting here!

Personally I would like to speak to nbcrusader and BluberryPoptart. The two of you have most directly challenged my own views on the world. I have often disagreed with both of you but I have to say that I value the opportunity to communicate with both of you. All political views aside, I think you are both wonderfully intelligent people who take the time and the effort to care about and make the world you live in a better place. Thank you both

Lets please all remember to be kind to each other even when we are hashing out subjects that we feel differently about. It's ok to disagree, it's what makes living interesting!

Old 08-06-2004, 01:36 PM   #2
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 05:05 PM
LoveTown

I think it's more important to treat your political enemy with respect than to win a debate

Old 08-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:05 AM
I'll agree to that-and I'll particularly agree with the comments you made toward nbcrusader and BluberryPoptart as well, as those are two people I've had a debate or two with in the past myself. .

Everyone should hold out their hands and call a truce or something . Or have a group hug. Whichever. .

Good idea for a thread, LoveTown. .

Angela
Old 08-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #4
Refugee

I couldn't agree more Klaus!
Old 08-06-2004, 01:40 PM   #5
Refugee

Thanks Angela,

I like your idea for a group hug!
Old 08-06-2004, 01:47 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 08:05 AM
Aww, FYM fuzzies.

Sorry to anyone I've pissed off.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:51 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
Thanks Angela,
You're welcome. .

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
I like your idea for a group hug!
Thanks !

*Starts going around ging everyone in FYM*

I feel a certain Beatles song coming on...

Angela
Old 08-06-2004, 01:55 PM   #8
Refugee

Old 08-06-2004, 02:03 PM   #9
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 05:05 PM
Great idea! Let's forget our political rifts for a moment

A biiiiiig for all of you FYM'ers
"Let's come together, Right now, Oh yeah, In sweet harmony " *sing*
Old 08-06-2004, 02:19 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:05 AM
LoveTown

I appreciate all who share their views

PM me if you ever think I cross the line between challenging views and personal attacks
Old 08-06-2004, 02:41 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:05 PM
I'll delurk for this, since it has something to do with my own mini-political burnout. I couldn't agree more with LoveTown, Klaus, and Angela. I hate incivility in politics big time! Honestly, I'd rather know a nice conservative than a rude liberal! Two liberals right here in Birmingham made holes out of themselves, having a power struggle and throwing stupid accusations against each other. They were even threatening to sue each other. Fortunately they settled the dispute out of court. Personally I've been around too many "my way or no way" people on both sides of the political fence, and I'm tired of it. Some people around here think all Kerry supporters are evil, and some people around here think all Bush supporters are evil. I say they're all wrong. Meanwhile my therapist actually told me not to watch the news because of my burn-out. I agree with her. I mean, hell, all I can do is vote.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:44 PM   #12
War Child

I was interested to find out recently where the term 'olive branch' comes from. In ancient times in the middle east, when there were wars, the olive trees were usually trampled in battle or broken off on purpose to hurt the livelihood of the enemy. So they never got to grow very big. When there was time between wars for the trees to grow long branches, it became a way to measure peace. So an olive branch became a symbol of peace
Old 08-06-2004, 02:48 PM   #13
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
PM me if you ever think I cross the line between challenging views and personal attacks
Same goes for me. If you ever want to call me on something I said please feel free to PM me anytime

verte, you are totally right. At the end of the day all any of us can do is to make our mark on a ballot. Honestly, I don't think either one of them (Kerry and Bush) are out to hurt the country. They simply want to do what they think is best. The people here at FYM are the same way. We all just want what we think is best. When it comes down to it we are all just human beings trying to have good lives and to give back to the world in our own special ways. Therefore I say that we all ROCK!! hehe
Old 08-06-2004, 02:51 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Leeloo
So an olive branch became a symbol of peace
Exactly Leeloo! I think we could all use a little bit of peace around here

Oh and thanks for telling us the meaning behind the olive branch. I always kind of wondered where it came from.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:09 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I agree LoveTown. I don't think either Bush or Kerry mean to hurt the country. They are both honestly trying to do what they think is right. No one in FYM wants to hurt the country. We all want what's best for the country. We just don't agree on what's good and what's not good for it all of the time. That's OK. I once made a terrible mistake in an election. I voted for someone in a local election because he was a Democrat. After the election, which he lost, I found out that he had been involved in political dirty tricks against his Republican opponent. I was horrified and really angry with myself for voting for the hole. Needless to say I didn't give a that he'd lost. I'll never do this again.