An olive branch - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2004, 08:36 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
I'm so happy that people have gotten something from this thread. If we all in hang in there and look out for one another we will all make it through this election just fine!
I agree. This is a crazy, manic election to me. It's not like any other I've ever been through. The polarization is just unbelievable. It's scary that there is this much of a divide in our political life. So far, the toughest election campaign I've ever been through was 1988, Bush vs. Dukakis. I hope I don't step on any toes here, but I thought that campaign was awful. It was way too negative, there wasn't much vision from either candidate, quite frankly, and it was the most depressing campaign season ever. It was a low point for civility in politics. I'm afraid this season will be worse. God help us if it is.
I love the civility of FYM. I have very strong feelings about civility in politics. I won't vote for rude liberals, and I'll listen to nice conservatives. Too often, IMO, there is a lack of civility in our body politic, on both sides. If I can do my little purple tuppence's worth about this then I'll be happy. Ultimately I agree with Barack Obama that there's not a liberal America or a conservative America, we are the United States of America. It's *our* country.

Old 08-09-2004, 12:49 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:11 AM
I thought BP signed this truce -

ooops, she pulled a "pre-emptive strike" and just went on the offensive in another thread in this forum!

And then people criticize me for being righteous.

At least I don't agree to something one day and then break it the next.

THIS IS THE TIME TO FINISH WHAT YOU'VE STARTED. THIS IS NO TIME TO DREAM.

Old 08-09-2004, 01:17 AM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine

I love how Dread can't be pigeonholed into a ideology (often just to stir up shit).
I can't be pingeonholed into signing a freaking truce either

So all you FYM huggers just save it and stick it where the sun don't shine because I want no part of this love fest!!!!!!!

Think of your children! and Your Childrens Children!

Oh...and by the way....You all rock!
Old 08-09-2004, 02:20 AM   #49
The Fly

Local Time: 06:41 PM
Heh heh, look at all this love. It's a good idea too, while it's important to take politics seriously (representative government works both ways), you don't want it to harm your health!

I do find it really interesting how into politics you guys get. Australians just don't do that as a rule. I don't know what the difference is, but although we care about the government and we will kick up a fuss if we think something is being done wrong, we don't get as involved as Americans seem to. I'm not saying one is better than the other - I'm just curious as to why there is such a difference.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:27 AM   #50
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
I thought BP signed this truce -

ooops, she pulled a "pre-emptive strike" and just went on the offensive in another thread in this forum!

And then people criticize me for being righteous.

At least I don't agree to something one day and then break it the next.

THIS IS THE TIME TO FINISH WHAT YOU'VE STARTED. THIS IS NO TIME TO DREAM.
Why thank you for your special brand of sugar coated saracasm! Yes, you ARE self rigteous, holier than thou, and very annoying Jamila!

PEACE AND LOVE AND HAPPINESS JAMILA!!!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:44 AM   #51
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:11 AM
All right, let's please keep this thread NICE.

Take your individual problems off the forum.

Thank you.

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:47 AM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:11 PM
Luthien Black, depends what you mean by 'involved' I guess. I do most definitely think you have a point (I'm Australian too), but remember less than 50% of US citizens vote. That's a scary figure.

Blueberrypoptart: Ok, I'll bite, I can't help myself. You (in your online persona) appear to be one of the most hateful, bitter, relentlessly partisan people I have ever seen on this forum. And you want people to be nice to you? Amazingly, quite a few people seem to be trying to do just that.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:47 AM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Patience People, BP has a point - being condacending and ganging up on an individual is turning this entire thread to a bitterfest.

Jamilia also has a point - hypocracy is bad.

Stop this Crazyness! I dont want to see this thread disintegrate into a hatefest and then have the animosity infect other threads. Agree to Disagree, whatever Just Nobody fire any more shots at eachother!!! Things have been said but get over it and move on, please.

As another Australian, maybe its because we have to vote, it certainly makes for a lot of apathy about government.

Election 2007 - Vote Abbott and Costello
Old 08-09-2004, 08:57 AM   #54
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:11 PM
Seriously, Pax wasn't kidding when she said put a damn sock in it.

Hows this for apathy?
"By 1990, no Australian child be will living in poverty"

/irreverance
Old 08-09-2004, 09:12 AM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Luthien Black
Heh heh, look at all this love. It's a good idea too, while it's important to take politics seriously (representative government works both ways), you don't want it to harm your health!

I do find it really interesting how into politics you guys get. Australians just don't do that as a rule. I don't know what the difference is, but although we care about the government and we will kick up a fuss if we think something is being done wrong, we don't get as involved as Americans seem to. I'm not saying one is better than the other - I'm just curious as to why there is such a difference.
Oh, politics is definitely not worth your health! Actually Americans are not usually quite as passionate about elections as we are this year. I don't know why. Sure alot of people don't like Bush, but heck, alot of people didn't like Clinton either and this kind of polarization didn't happen. At this point in 2000, most people hadn't decided who they were voting for. This year the polls at least claim that 90% of the electorate has already decided who they're voting for. We've already had hundreds of millions spent in advertising. They usually don't do this this early. That's why I'm currently not following the election. I'm tired!
Old 08-09-2004, 09:34 AM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

On the US election I think that the FYM forum should run a single thread as the results come in, I will proudly indulge in a *vodka down here when the best man wins, whose with me?

Theres no honour left in arguments today, its all been swept away by politics and frankly it sickens me. I want to see a real civil debate here where there is enough mutual respect or at least self restraint to accept and debate peoples political persuasions without resorting to childish name calling. The entire purpose is the argument, but its structured argument and its best done with finesse, something that I am still working to perfect no matter what position is being argued.

*uh doesnt have to be Vodka, I dont know the rules in regards to referencing raising a toast of some type, if you are <18 or 21 then dont drink yeah, you know what I mean.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:08 AM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

A_Wanderer, I have to leave for a trip the day after the election so I might be packing. I think it's a little ironic that I'm going to Washington D.C.!! We went ahead and booked the hotel rooms because we're afraid the whole place is going to be manic due to the election. I know I'll be relieved that the damn pundits and pollsters will have to figure out a different way to sell the media. And oh, yes, I'm legal to drink but I detest vodka.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:49 AM   #58
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
Thanks Leeloo, that was an interesting story, i didn't know that!

Let's all enjoy the shade of our FYM-Olive Tree, and celebrate the things that unite us.
And in our next dispute on FYM let us all remember not to brake off an olive branch on purpose
Thank you, I've never seen a picture of one!

Thank you Sarit for the Noah story!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:13 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:11 AM
Only in FYM can we get into arguments in a "FYM Peace" thread.....

Old 08-09-2004, 11:17 AM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Only in FYM can we get into arguments in a "FYM Peace" thread.....

I was thinking the same thing.