An olive branch - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2004, 07:43 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
I've been coming here a lot lately, where I haven't so much in the past, but I've found myself getting a little burnt out from coming here/watching the news channels and reading the papers. That said, I have really enjoyed reading the posts, though I might not agree with all of them, and consider myself better informed than I was just a few weeks ago.

FYM = Group hugs =
Welcome to the club. I've been feeling *very* burned out on politics lately. I blame a fg eight month long campaign. It's ridiculous. I'm thinking of writing some letters to the newspapers saying I think campaign season is too damned long and what do people think? It's getting really bad when your therapist tells you to ignore the news, but mine did! Fizz, how long does a campaign in the U.K. last? Six weeks? That's more like it. Ideally a presidential campaign starts after the conventions and lasts until Election Day. The way it is it's fd up big time and needs to be changed.

Old 08-06-2004, 09:27 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

Ideally a presidential campaign starts after the conventions and lasts until Election Day. The way it is it's fd up big time and needs to be changed.
i dont believe britain has set election dates so the length of a campaign is dependant on how far in advance it is called. this is the situation in canada and the most a formal campaign would last would be 5 weeks.

this is untenable in the u.s. however. the rise of election campaign 'glamor', if you will, is correlated to the innovation of the 24 hour news network and their insatiable desire for content.

--

BP, if you came away from a recent exchange between us with the impression that i considered you unintelligent, i feel you should know i intended no such thing. if this is the case, i apologize. i literally just meant that you have a varied vision of political spectral boundaries than others.

Old 08-06-2004, 09:44 PM   #33
War Child

... 'see the bird with the leaf in her mouth, after the flood all the colors came out'
Old 08-06-2004, 11:10 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:57 PM
Verte, that's pretty cool, that agreement-that's a good idea. And the rest of your post was very interesting, too, the fact that you kinda have views from both sides in you and everything. I'm kinda the same way-for the most part, my views lean to the left, but there's a couple issues here and there where I can totally side with the conservatives, too.

Also, BluberryPoptart, you're very welcome . I totally agree that people shouldn't be afraid to speak their mind, even if they know that their views won't be very popular with people. But I can completely understand wanting to take a break, too. God, this is my first year I'll be voting in a presidential election, and I'm already feeling a slight burn out like a lot of you. I remember February of this year in particular was a frustrating month for me-so much stuff was going on that month in the news that was getting me all riled up...and then I realized that I still had to sit through about eight more months of that kind of thing before November. Definitely not a fun thing to realize.

I personally still intend on debating this stuff, though, just 'cause I think it's in my blood to be all opinionated and stuff . But if somebody else here feels it's better for them to take a break and deal with less stressful stuff, that's totally understandable-I'd much rather that be their reason for leaving this area of the boards than their reason being that they didn't feel welcome here or something. Nobody should ever feel that way.

I think this is an excellent idea:

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
I ask all FYMers to do just ONE thing. If you come across a post and it makes you mad and you are tempted to say something mean spirited please take a deep breath, count to 10 and think about the situation a bit BEFORE you post.
Yes. Add to that that perhaps it'd be best to read the post again carefully and see if you possibly thought it was mean-spirited when it really wasn't. I know that can be kinda hard to tell on the Internet at times, but there are ways to figure it out, so...

Anywho, yeah, that idea works for me .

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
And yep, I have to remember to do this myself!!
So will I. I've been known to lose my cool on occasion in debates with people before, too, so yeah, I'll definitely have to keep this in mind.

This is good, people, this is nice. .

Angela
Old 08-07-2004, 01:59 AM   #35
Refugee

thanks for your support Angela
Old 08-07-2004, 03:31 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:57 PM
This is a lovely thread, LoveTown. Thank you for starting it!

It's obvious that people feel passionately about the outcome of this election. That's good! It's good to take an interest in the future of the U.S. The bad side of this passion is when you begin judging people based solely on their passion for the candidate you oppose.

I, personally, have been spending most of my online time these days at two political forums that share my pro-Kerry views. I'd rather post what I feel about this election there instead of Interference. This site is so important to me as an outlet for my admiration of U2, that I don't want to have bad feelings about it based on what takes place at FYM.

Anyway, big to everyone here!
Old 08-07-2004, 09:27 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Well, my shrink made some adjustments in my antidepressant, so I'm feeling much better now. I'm still not exactly planning to tune into Judy Woodruff anytime soon.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:48 AM   #38
you are what you is

Local Time: 12:57 AM
even though I appreciate threads like these
I do want to point out that it's hardly ever anything to do with someone's opinion, but the way he/she choses to express this opinion that makes threads like these sort of necessary every month or so

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-07-2004, 11:13 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi

i dont believe britain has set election dates so the length of a campaign is dependant on how far in advance it is called. this is the situation in canada and the most a formal campaign would last would be 5 weeks.

this is untenable in the u.s. however. the rise of election campaign 'glamor', if you will, is correlated to the innovation of the 24 hour news network and their insatiable desire for content.
You're right. Perhaps the real problem is the stupid press. They've got to put some sort of spin on every damn thing, including trivia. I'm a trivia buff but I hate this kind of trivia. And I knew that Britain didn't have set election dates, the prime minister calls elections. Their campaign seasons are much shorter, that's for damn sure.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:58 AM   #40
Refugee

I have tears in my eyes while reading this thread. I have been feeling so emotional over the policital threads and I thought it was just me. It feels so good to know that we all have been feeling this way and all of us want to work towards getting along.
We don't have to have the same views, we just need to respect each other.

Thanks for starting this thread, Love Town.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:26 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:57 PM
Glad you're feeling better, verte .

Quote:
Originally posted by Diane L
It's obvious that people feel passionately about the outcome of this election. That's good! It's good to take an interest in the future of the U.S.
Very true. It's definitely good to know that there are people out there who still do care about this stuff. .

Also, you're welcome, LoveTown .

Angela
Old 08-07-2004, 03:56 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
I've been coming here a lot lately, where I haven't so much in the past, but I've found myself getting a little burnt out from coming here/watching the news channels and reading the papers. That said, I have really enjoyed reading the posts, though I might not agree with all of them, and consider myself better informed than I was just a few weeks ago.

FYM = Group hugs =
All I know is that I am a much happier person since I stopped watching or reading election coverage.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:06 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by u2granny

All I know is that I am a much happier person since I stopped watching or reading election coverage.
Me too.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:07 PM   #44
Refugee

I'm so happy that people have gotten something from this thread. If we all in hang in there and look out for one another we will all make it through this election just fine!
Old 08-08-2004, 06:17 PM   #45
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
even though I appreciate threads like these
I do want to point out that it's hardly ever anything to do with someone's opinion, but the way he/she choses to express this opinion that makes threads like these sort of necessary every month or so

to all FYMers. I love NBC caustics but wonderful oneliners to pro-liberal threads and even STING2's resolution 1441 can have it's charm. I love how Dread can't be pigeonholed into a ideology (often just to stir up shit). and Klaus' calm world view.
Fizz is a woman after my own heart as is our most diplomatic poster Verte. MA is a mega informed youngster (only in relation to me hehe). I care for and respect all of you and wish the world could only be like us.