An Interesting Twist In The Whole "Gun Control" Issue - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2002, 08:19 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dream wanderer
Canada has as many guns as we do...but not the gun violence.
I'm sorry, but I can't believe this.

We have 1/10 of the population. There is no way the numbers stack up.

Old 10-25-2002, 09:07 PM   #47
War Child

Local Time: 04:41 PM
Funny how we tend to look over the reasons behind gun use and crime. Funny how as societies we dont like to tackle the root problems of drugs, mental health, social disfunction or poverty that lead robbers to carry out these deads in the first place.

Old 10-25-2002, 10:08 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:41 PM

U2girl:

We do not know the chronology of when the villain dropped his gun behind the counter; please remember that the villain was "thrashing around" after taking the first few shots; it is a small convenience store; I have been in it before. My mom's co-worker's brother was shot and killed there several years ago beacuse he stopped to use the pay phone.

I agree with everything that dream wanderer had to say. I do not own a gun myself and probably never will, but simply "banning" guns will do very little, in this country, to cure the problems of violent crime.

~U2Alabama
Old 11-05-2002, 10:22 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:41 PM
It Happened Again

From THE BIRMINGHAM NEWS:

Man shot during East Lake holdup try

Convenience store owner wounds suspect

11/05/02

CAROL ROBINSON
News staff writer

The owner of an East Lake convenience store said he shot a man who aimed a gun at him during an early morning holdup attempt Monday.

Ty Van Nguyen, 44, said he was outside his Texaco gas station and convenience store on Oporto-Madrid Boulevard working on a gas pump when a gunman came toward him, his weapon drawn.

"He put a gun right on my chest," Nguyen said. "He would have shot me."

Nguyen shot him instead, striking him at least once in the face. The man, whose name police wouldn't release, was taken to University Hospital. Efforts to obtain his condition were unsuccessful.

Birmingham police spokesman Lt. Henry Irby said the man was arrested, but formal charges had not been filed.

Nguyen said he and his wife were alone at the store about 12:30 a.m. when he went outside to work on the gas pump. While he was taking a part from the pump to his car, the gunman approached him and forced him to crouch down.

"He pointed the gun and said, `Don't do nothing. Put your hands up,'" Nguyen said. "He said that three times. He was calm."

Nguyen put up his right hand but used his other to reach for the gun he tucks in the waistband on his left side.

"I always carry a gun," he said.

Nguyen fired six shots at the robber, one of them striking the man in the chin.

"The first one hurt him bad," he said. "I feel like God was helping me."

It was the third robbery at the store in Nguyen's 14 years there. Nguyen, a husband and father of three with a fourth child on the way, said he no longer feels safe.

"I think it's very dangerous," he said. "I know I've got to find a way" to get out of the business.

Monday's shooting was at least the third time in the past month that a would-be robber was shot during a holdup.

In early October, two teens were shot by the owner of Mai's Convenience Store in western Birmingham.

A week later, a newspaper deliveryman shot and killed a man wielding a shotgun at the Chevron on First Avenue North.

"We do not advocate citizens taking the law into their own hands," Irby said. "One, we would prefer them to be a good witness and two, we want them to survive the encounter versus the situation perhaps taking a tragic turn and them becoming seriously injured."

"Sometimes," Irby said, "you have no choice but to defend yourself."
Old 11-06-2002, 02:34 AM   #50
Refugee

Local Time: 10:41 PM
Did you know that in Canada per capita we have as many weapons as the states but have a far far far far far less death rate by guns?

Like someone else said it the states homicidal nature. People like to kill there.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:41 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
Like someone else said it the states homicidal nature. People like to kill there.
So is that an argument for or against gun-control?
Old 11-06-2002, 10:17 AM   #52
Refugee

Local Time: 10:41 PM
I dont know really. What do you think.

Should people learn not to kill.

Or should we take all the guns away from them so its not so convientent to kill?
Old 11-07-2002, 02:06 AM   #53
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:41 PM
ZoomerangII its interesting when you look at crime stats in Australia after the buy back. The actual amnesty itself was a huge success, but then you look at figures for violent crime in general and you have to question what is happening in Australian society after 1996 to now.
http://www.geoffmetcalf.com/guncontrol_20010302.html
Compared to the US and others, we are kidding ourselves that this is a 'lucky country' and that we are safe.
Another interesting read:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=15322
I know this may be biased as they are both from the desk of Jon Doherty, but the point is a decrease in firearms ownership actually increases or seems to increase violent crime rather.

I dunno. People say it isn't the legal registered owners of guns that are the problem, but why are such a large percentage of the illegal guns those that are stolen from these registered owners? Yeah the problems are societal, and we need to look at all the other issues but the guns that criminals obtain are coming from registered owners. Legal ownership IS part of the problem, is it not?