An interesting fact about the Sulzberger Sewerpipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macfistowannabe

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
They haven't endorsed a Republican Presidential Candidate since 1956 - Dwight Eisenhower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Times#Accusations_of_liberal_bias

The editorial page of The Times last endorsed a Republican Party presidential candidate in 1956 when it backed Dwight D. Eisenhower. Nonetheless, the paper has endorsed Republicans in statewide or local races, such as current New York Governor George Pataki and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Re: Re: An interesting fact about the Sulzberger Sewerpipe

AEON said:

I would rather newspapers did not endorse any candidates. It just seems like a conflict of interest to me.
I see your point - and I disagree.

If they want to unmask their true selves, I have no problem with them doing so.

are you talking about editorials? because editorials should probably have the right to express their views, whether they support a certain cause or not, for that matter.

i fear this thread will only propagate more moaning about how media oppresses the republicans and its full of communists et cetera...

Re: Re: An interesting fact about the Sulzberger Sewerpipe

AEON said:

I would rather newspapers did not endorse any candidates. It just seems like a conflict of interest to me.
I think they should wear their bias on their sleeves, claiming to be unbiased is a lie.

all_i_want said:
are you talking about editorials? because editorials should probably have the right to express their views, whether they support a certain cause or not, for that matter.

i fear this thread will only propagate more moaning about how media oppresses the republicans and its full of communists et cetera...
They have every right to their biases as I do to mine. But I don't claim to be unbiased. I claim to be a rather solid conservative. In light of Sulzberger's advocation of illegal immigration, abortion rights, anti-war politics, and other issues, it's laughable to believe that the Times does not lean left. In case you missed it, he also believes that Bush is a totalitarian.

Re: Re: Re: An interesting fact about the Sulzberger Sewerpipe

A_Wanderer said:
I think they should wear their bias on their sleeves, claiming to be unbiased is a lie.
I completely agree, although it would hurt the credibility they would otherwise have.

Last edited:
martha said:
I don't even know what the hell this thread is about. What's the "Sulzberger Sewerpipe"?
The Sulzberger Sewerpipe is the fair and balanced, bias-free, center of center paper we know as The New York Times.

:wink:

Ah yes, the NY Times. Not a fan of that. Not an expert, either, infact far from it. I am only speaking of one instance of moronic bungling.

I think newspapers should endorse candidates. Why? They should inform their readers about why they support particular candidates to help the readers figure out who to vote for. I generally know how I'm going to vote in political elections, but it doesn't hurt for the newspapers to include these editorials.

Angela Harlem said:
And hey, Macfisto, was it you or someone else who created the word Leninomical? Did Leninist not suffice?
I invented the wretched dirty word. :wink:

verte76 said:
I think newspapers should endorse candidates. Why? They should inform their readers about why they support particular candidates to help the readers figure out who to vote for. I generally know how I'm going to vote in political elections, but it doesn't hurt for the newspapers to include these editorials.
About time we agree on something, eh? :)

Back
Top Bottom