An Inconvenient Truth - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2006, 02:18 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 05:49 PM
An Inconvenient Truth

Has anyone seen Al Gore's new movie? I saw it and I really didn't know global warming is as serious a problem as is it. The movie is incredibly informative and is one of the best reviewed of the year. If anyone here has seen it, what did you think? If you haven't seen it, why? Also, a lot of people have said this is just Gore trying to get more publicity/support for a 2008 election bid. Does anyone think this is true? He has said many times that he doesn't plan to run again and I believe him, I think he really honestly cares about global warming and after watching an interview with him on yahoo movies, I think he's a changed man since 2000. Your thoughts on the movie and Gore...

Old 07-01-2006, 04:08 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:49 PM
Interested in seeing it, just haven't been able to. I think it only started playing locally about 1-2 weeks ago - don't know if it's still here or not

Old 07-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Refugee

This weekend would be a good time as it has now expanded to its highest theatre count in the US.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:12 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:49 PM
Re: An Inconvenient Truth

Quote:
Originally posted by cjboog
Has anyone seen Al Gore's new movie? I saw it and I really didn't know global warming is as serious a problem as is it. The movie is incredibly informative and is one of the best reviewed of the year. If anyone here has seen it, what did you think? If you haven't seen it, why? Also, a lot of people have said this is just Gore trying to get more publicity/support for a 2008 election bid. Does anyone think this is true? He has said many times that he doesn't plan to run again and I believe him, I think he really honestly cares about global warming and after watching an interview with him on yahoo movies, I think he's a changed man since 2000. Your thoughts on the movie and Gore...
word, I believe him too. I don't know if there is a such thing as a sincere politician, but he comes off as pretty honest to me, at least when it comes to his concerns about global warming. I don't know a lot about it but I'm sure it's a serious issue.

I'll see the movie eventually; I have yet to see it. I think the people that really need to see it are people that are convinced global warming isn't an issue at all.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:06 AM   #5
you are what you is

Local Time: 02:49 AM
Re: Re: An Inconvenient Truth

Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono
I think the people that really need to see it are people that are convinced global warming isn't an issue at all.
if by now someone is still not convinced re. the effects of global warming then he/she has his/her head so neatly tucked up the own arse that they wouldn't be able to see this (or any) movie
Old 07-02-2006, 09:15 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Everyone should see it.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:19 PM
Regardless of whether climate change is a natural occurring event or man-made or accelerated by human activity, it is definitely happening. Too bad politics is skewing the opinions of many people who are the decisionmakers.

Al Gore is definitely correct in his point that at the end of the day, the Earth will survive, we may not. For me, these past few thousand years are just our time on the planet and it will run out eventually. It's the nature of the cycle of life on Earth, certain species dominate for a time and then disappear due to a cataclysmic event beyond their control whether it be an ice age, meteor strike, volcanic eruption or rising temperatures. Some of these events are instantaneous while others may take thousands of years to occur. The history of our planet is filled with catastrophe on a global scale, some species survive, some don't.

My layman POV
Old 07-03-2006, 12:54 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Don't Believe the Hype

{quote]Al Gore is wrong. There's no "consensus" on global warming.

According to Al Gore's new film "An Inconvenient Truth," we're in for "a planetary emergency": melting ice sheets, huge increases in sea levels, more and stronger hurricanes, and invasions of tropical disease, among other cataclysms--unless we change the way we live now.

Bill Clinton has become the latest evangelist for Mr. Gore's gospel, proclaiming that current weather events show that he and Mr. Gore were right about global warming, and we are all suffering the consequences of President Bush's obtuseness on the matter. And why not? Mr. Gore assures us that "the debate in the scientific community is over."

That statement, which Mr. Gore made in an interview with George Stephanopoulos on ABC, ought to have been followed by an asterisk. What exactly is this debate that Mr. Gore is referring to? Is there really a scientific community that is debating all these issues and then somehow agreeing in unison? Far from such a thing being over, it has never been clear to me what this "debate" actually is in the first place.

The media rarely help, of course. When Newsweek featured global warming in a 1988 issue, it was claimed that all scientists agreed. Periodically thereafter it was revealed that although there had been lingering doubts beforehand, now all scientists did indeed agree. Even Mr. Gore qualified his statement on ABC only a few minutes after he made it, clarifying things in an important way. When Mr. Stephanopoulos confronted Mr. Gore with the fact that the best estimates of rising sea levels are far less dire than he suggests in his movie, Mr. Gore defended his claims by noting that scientists "don't have any models that give them a high level of confidence" one way or the other and went on to claim--in his defense--that scientists "don't know. . . . They just don't know."[/quote]
Old 07-03-2006, 01:08 AM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 01:49 AM
"It's DIFFICULT to get a man to understand something when his SALARY depends upon his NOT UNDERSTANDING IT."

~ Upton Sinclair

This quote is at the front of climatecrisis.net and fits perfectly into the current political climate on global warming.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
[B]When Mr. Stephanopoulos confronted Mr. Gore with the fact that the best estimates of rising sea levels are far less dire than he suggests in his movie, Mr. Gore defended his claims by noting that scientists "don't have any models that give them a high level of confidence" one way or the other and went on to claim--in his defense--that scientists "don't know. . . . They just don't know.
Have you seen the movie? Have you read other books from nonpolitical people on the subject? The fact that our glaciers are disappearing is compelling evidence. Would it matter if Gore and scientists are off by, say, a century? Do you honestly think there is insufficient evidence that we need to change our lifestyles now for the survival of future generations? What would qualify as sufficient evidence for you? How many scientists need to agree? We can't really afford to wait for everyone to agree. If the scientists who agree that the threat of global warming is real and imminent are correct, the risks of ignoring them are great and potentially devastating. If we heed the warnings and implement new energy sources and change our lifestyle only to discover the threat of global warming was overstated, what harm has been done?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:49 PM
Quote:
Don't Believe the Hype

{quote]Al Gore is wrong. There's no "consensus" on global warming.

[q]Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth" Movie: Fact or Hype?
Stefan Lovgren
for National Geographic News

Updated May 25, 2006
The message in An Inconvenient Truth, the new movie starring former U.S. Vice President Al Gore, is clear: Humans are causing global warming, and the effects are devastating.

Most scientists agree that the Earth is heating up, due primarily to an atmospheric increase in carbon dioxide caused mainly by the burning of fossil fuels such as coal and petroleum.

But how accurate are some of the scientific claims made in the documentary?

In an attemp to clear the air, National Geographic News checked in with Eric Steig, an earth scientist at the University of Washington in Seattle, who saw An Inconvenient Truth at a preview screening.

He says the documentary handles the science well.

"I was looking for errors," he said.

"But nothing much struck me as overblown or wrong."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...l-warming.html

[/q]

[q]Exx-Cons
by the Editors
Post date 05.25.06 | Issue date 06.12.06

Al Gore seems to have touched a nerve. An Inconvenient Truth, his new documentary about global warming--a simultaneously frightening and inspiring film--hadn't yet arrived in theaters last week when a guerrilla movement to discredit the movie had already begun. A network of oil-funded think tankers and conservative media outlets have joined arms to launch the most massive offensive against a PowerPoint presentation ever recorded by man. But there is one salutary effect of this new campaign. The Swift-Boating of An Inconvenient Truth has brought into public view yet another shining star in the right's anti-science constellation. While the fundamentalist theo-conservatives sowed doubts about evolution during the debate over "intelligent design," the Exxon conservatives are storming into battle against global warming....

https://ssl.tnr.com/p/docsub.mhtml?i...ditorial061206

[/q]

[q]Case Closed: The Debate about Global Warming is Over

Issues in Governance Studies, June 2006

Gregg Easterbrook, Visiting Fellow, Governance Studies, Economic Studies
Executive Summary

Here's the short version of everything you need to know about global warming. First, the consensus of the scientific community has shifted from skepticism to near-unanimous acceptance of the evidence of an artificial greenhouse effect. Second, while artificial climate change may have some beneficial effects, the odds are we're not going to like it. Third, reducing emissions of greenhouse gases may turn out to be much more practical and affordable than currently assumed.

This brief will address the three points above and, in an appendix, offer non-jargon explanations of the most important recent findings of greenhouse science. But the pressing point of this briefing is not so much scientific as it is practical—that action against artificial global warming may not prove nearly as expensive or daunting as commonly believed. Greenhouse gases are an air pollution problem, and all air pollution problems of the past have cost significantly less to fix than projected, while declining faster than expected. This gives cause to hope that artificial greenhouse gases can be controlled reasonably cheaply and without wrenching sacrifices to the global economy. And if there is a chance of an economical approach to greenhouse-gas reduction, then what are we waiting for? Let's start now.

http://brookings.edu/views/papers/ea...k/20060517.htm

[/q]

but keep trying -- one day you'll find someone who isn't published in a right wing, anti-environmental/pro-business newspaper, magazine, or journal (like the WSJ) who denies global warming.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:37 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I guess the truth of global warming is that junk science replaces understanding and conclusionary statements replace honest discussion (stepping beyond the tiresome claims that facts not supporting global warming are just propaganda from right-wing, big business supporting conservatives).

Relying of visual images can be very persuasive, but also very misleading (like statistics, it sound dramatic one way, but given perspective means something else). Visuals of the shrinking Antarctica miss the fact that snow packs are increasing on the continent and that calving of icebergs can be attributed to the excessive weight due to the snow pack buildups.

The political groups selling global warming are very savvy. Carefully selected facts help complete an existing picture in one’s mind the same way random occurrences during the day verify the truth of a daily horoscope.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:52 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Can't this not be a political issue for once?

<why do I enter FYM :runsout:
Old 07-04-2006, 12:07 AM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 01:49 AM
Quote:
[B]The political groups selling global warming are very savvy.[B]
They've been screaming for decades to a population who hasn't been listening and generally doesn't give a shit beyond separating recyclable garbage so they really aren't that savvy now are they?

Now that the tsunamis and Katrinas have captured people's attention they can FINALLY flex some political muscle and grab their huge rightful piece of government spending on research grants and tree-planting programs...YEAH. That must be it.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:05 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Have you seen the movie? Have you read other books from nonpolitical people on the subject? The fact that our glaciers are disappearing is compelling evidence. Would it matter if Gore and scientists are off by, say, a century? Do you honestly think there is insufficient evidence that we need to change our lifestyles now for the survival of future generations? What would qualify as sufficient evidence for you? How many scientists need to agree? We can't really afford to wait for everyone to agree. If the scientists who agree that the threat of global warming is real and imminent are correct, the risks of ignoring them are great and potentially devastating. If we heed the warnings and implement new energy sources and change our lifestyle only to discover the threat of global warming was overstated, what harm has been done?
there is never going to be an issue that EVERY scientist agrees 100% on, but it seems most are in agreement on this one, and when it's such a big deal I don't see how ignoring it is gonna help, even if the threat is overstated. We're going to need alternate energy sources soon enough anyway, regardless of global warming - if the scientists don't convince you, maybe the price of gas will changing our lifestyles to make the planet healthier would not be a bad thing, I agree.