An Inconvenient Truth - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2007, 05:19 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:25 PM
I always find it silly when people say things like "OMG it was so hot here today! Global warming must be true!!!".

For every day someone points out how abnormally hot it was I can point out a day where it was friggin cold where I live.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:43 AM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:25 AM
The arguments that take day to day weather as evidence are flawed; since either hot or cold is taken as evidence of global climate change in action when these usually have much closer causes. Now given long enough data sets trends of warming and cooling can be discerned.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #48
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
As we endure the one of the warmest Decembers on record in the Northeast I can't help but feel like global warming is a real serious occurence. I literally want to punch any newscaster that gives us a smug "isn't this weather great?" comment. Believe it or not some of us out there actually like winter.

I didn't realize how much I liked it until we went through an entire December here in Michigan with only one day of snow, and no more in sight for the near future.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:34 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm going to see Gore speak in an otherwise waste-of-my-money-and-time conference in March I hope I get to meet him and speak with him about this movie.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

I didn't realize how much I liked it until we went through an entire December here in Michigan with only one day of snow, and no more in sight for the near future.

...whereas we here in the desert of New Mexico are getting the kind of snow you normally get in Michigan (nearly 3 feet last week--my car hasn't moved in 5 days), and we had so much rain over the summer that mold has become the latest desert problem. This is not right.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

...whereas we here in the desert of New Mexico are getting the kind of snow you normally get in Michigan (nearly 3 feet last week--my car hasn't moved in 5 days), and we had so much rain over the summer that mold has become the latest desert problem. This is not right.
Give us in Alabama some of that snow!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm shocked that Exxon would do such a thing. They really are trying to become the most evil organization on the planet.

http://www.boston.com/business/artic...islead_public/

Group: ExxonMobil paid to mislead public

January 3, 2007

WASHINGTON --ExxonMobil Corp. gave $16 million to 43 ideological groups between 1998 and 2005 in a coordinated effort to mislead the public by discrediting the science behind global warming, the Union of Concerned Scientists asserted Wednesday.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

It really is quite pathetic.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

I STILL haven't seen that movie, I really need to rent it

I love El Nino global warming, not so much...

LONDON (AP) - A resurgent El Nino and persistently high levels of greenhouse gases are likely to make 2007 the world's hottest year ever recorded, British climate scientists said Thursday.

Britain's Meteorological Office said there was a 60 percent probability that 2007 would break the record set by 1998, which was 1.20 degrees over the long-term average.

"This new information represents another warning that climate change is happening around the world," the office said.

The reason for the forecast is mostly due to El Nino, a cyclical warming trend now under way in the Pacific Ocean. The event occurs irregularly - the last one happened in 2002 - and typically leads to increased temperatures worldwide.

While this year's El Nino is not as strong as it was in 1997 and 1998, its combination with the steady increase of temperatures due to global warming from human activity may be enough to break the Earth's temperature record, said Phil Jones, the director of the Climatic Research unit at the University of East Anglia.

"Because of the warming due to greenhouse gases, even a moderate warming event is enough to push the global temperatures over the top," he said.

"El Nino is an independent variable," he said. "But the underlying trends in the warming of the Earth is almost certainly due to the release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere."

El Nino can sometimes lead to milder weather, such as in the in the northeastern United States or the Atlantic Ocean, which is likely to see fewer hurricanes this year. However, it can also increase the severity of weather-related disasters, such as typhoons in the Philippines or drought in southern Africa and Australia, a country that is already suffering through its longest dry spell on record.

Environmental groups said the report added weight to the movement to control greenhouse gases.

"The evidence that we're doing something very dangerous with the climate is now amassing," said Campaign against Climate Change coordinator Philip Thornhill.

"We need to put the energy and priority (into climate change) that is being put into a war effort. It's a political struggle to get action done - and these reports help," Thornhill said.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:55 PM   #55
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

I just saw the movie, actually. All I got to say is, "Learn to swim."
Old 01-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

It could reach 68 in NYC tomorrow

Of course it'll probably be 15 and snowing next week..

They're already saying 07 could be the warmest year on record
Old 01-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:25 PM
Still snowing here in the desert and down in the teens.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:25 PM
Give me back my fucking January snow, goddamit.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yup, 70 degrees in the Northeast is entirely normal.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

I kinda wish it would snow because everything is dead and gray anyway. The snow tends to brighten things up a bit, since we get those TWO days with sun in December and January Everyone at work is thinking we're still going to get slammed. I'm not sure if the east side is different, but over here it's very common to get blizzard and ice storms through March and April, so we still have four months of bitter winter left and plenty of opportunity for some massive dumps.

With no clean, white snow, this is what west Michigan will look like until May - gray clouds, dead trees, and mud (don't let the grass fool you, it's not alive it's frozen with the ground so it's like walking on bricks or in mud).