An Inconvenient Electric Bill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
June 17, 2008
-By Warner Todd Huston

In the year since Al Gore took steps to make his home more energy-efficient, the former Vice President’s home energy use surged more than 10%, according to the Tennessee Center for Policy Research.

In the past year, Gore’s home burned through 213,210 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity, enough to power 232 average American households for a month.

Since taking steps to make his home more environmentally-friendly last June, Gore devours an average of 17,768 kWh per month –1,638 kWh more energy per month than before the renovations – at a cost of $16,533. By comparison, the average American household consumes 11,040 kWh in an entire year, according to the Energy Information Administration.
Tsk-tsk Albert
nono.gif

This included the energy it took to make the renovations and the increase of labor in his office.

I'm assuming this was taken into consideration, for no one would just look at the numbers point blank in order to point fingers. :|

Even if it is shown somewhere along the line that global warming isn't man's fault, continued use of fossil fuels is still short-sighted and quite stupid.

The stuff coming out of your cars and power plants still pollutes, coal and oil will run out.

Eventually renewable resources will be a far cheaper option, and will certainly make for a cleaner and healthier earth, plus no reliance on hostile countries to supply oil, which I am sure it has already been mentioned.

For those reasons alone, I think it is reasonable enough to make being 'green' a top priority.

Honestly even if we are not at fault for climate change, I am really surprised we haven't mucked up the world more, with the stuff we have been filling it with, the contribution of humans to the planet hasn exactly been great. You wouldn't treat your own house half as badly as we do to the planet.

That's always been my take on it - being nice to the environment and preserving resources is a good idea anyway, regardless of climate change.

I don't really want to sift through this whole thread. I just want to know: are people dismissing global warming as a whole because Al Gore isn't the best conservationist?

Because that would be ... uh ... sketchy logic.

This included the energy it took to make the renovations and the increase of labor in his office.

I'm assuming this was taken into consideration, for no one would just look at the numbers point blank in order to point fingers. :|

:up:

No, no one would do that. :wink:

My electric bill jumped significantly from last month and I've taken measures over the last couple of months to lower it.

Except for more money, Al Gore doesn't have any fuel alternative's other than we do. I can't make the renovations he can because I live in an apartment. If I had my own home, I would have to spend money, up front, to save in the long run. With the prospect that ultimately my investment would pay off.

Back
Top Bottom