An Inconvenient Electric Bill - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #271
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:10 PM
Oh, the number is increasing.

Well, then let's go on destroying their surrounidngs.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #272
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/03/09/wpolar09.xml

it amazes me when people post things about burgeoning animal populations or say things like, "remember the acid rain that was supposed to kill us all and it didn't? hype! all of it! hype!"

this is great evidence that environmental regulations work.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #273
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I just hope we don't get hit with a Bear Tax now.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:57 AM   #274
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:10 AM
From Drudge of coarse.

Quote:
Scientists threatened for 'climate denial'
By Tom Harper, Sunday Telegraph
11/03/2007

Scientists who questioned mankind's impact on climate change have received death threats and claim to have been shunned by the scientific community.

They say the debate on global warming has been "hijacked" by a powerful alliance of politicians, scientists and environmentalists who have stifled all questioning about the true environmental impact of carbon dioxide emissions.

Timothy Ball, a former climatology professor at the University of Winnipeg in Canada, has received five deaths threats by email since raising concerns about the degree to which man was affecting climate change.

One of the emails warned that, if he continued to speak out, he would not live to see further global warming.

"Western governments have pumped billions of dollars into careers and institutes and they feel threatened," said the professor.

"I can tolerate being called a sceptic because all scientists should be sceptics, but then they started calling us deniers, with all the connotations of the Holocaust. That is an obscenity. It has got really nasty and personal."

Last week, Professor Ball appeared in The Great Global Warming Swindle, a Channel 4 documentary in which several scientists claimed the theory of man-made global warming had become a "religion", forcing alternative explanations to be ignored.

Richard Lindzen, the professor of Atmospheric Science at Massachusetts Institute of Technology - who also appeared on the documentary - recently claimed: "Scientists who dissent from the alarmism have seen their funds disappear, their work derided, and themselves labelled as industry stooges.

"Consequently, lies about climate change gain credence even when they fly in the face of the science."

Dr Myles Allen, from Oxford University, agreed. He said: "The Green movement has hijacked the issue of climate change. It is ludicrous to suggest the only way to deal with the problem is to start micro managing everyone, which is what environmentalists seem to want to do."

Nigel Calder, a former editor of New Scientist, said: "Governments are trying to achieve unanimity by stifling any scientist who disagrees. Einstein could not have got funding under the present system."
By chance, did anyone in the U.K. catch this show? It's not likely to be show here in the states.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #275
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

The Green Mob strikes again.

It's not just for the peace loving hippies anymore.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #276
Blue Crack Supplier

What kills me about this whole "other factors" argument is that there is no clear-cut answer...

It's all about "cycles" and "natural warming trends" and all this crap about how there was a warming period in 1756 or whatever.

So, if the theory is that this is just some kind of "natural cycle" we are in, just how long are we expected to wait?
Old 03-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #277
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:10 PM
30 years, if it's solar we will trough out into a solar low, if it's atmospheric CO2 then we will keep warming.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:45 PM   #278
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:10 AM
Quote:
Al Gore's green home improvements

Story Highlights
• Gore got approval to install 33 solar panels on the roof of his Tennessee home
• Gore also upgrading the furnace, windows, light switches, and heating system
• Bought in 2002, Gore's home is more than 70 years old

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- Former Vice President Al Gore's upscale neighborhood granted the environmental activist approval Tuesday to install 33 solar panels on the roof of his mansion.

The city of Belle Meade, Tennessee, had blocked his application until new rules were approved unanimously late Tuesday, said Gore spokesman Chris Song. The city, located within metropolitan Nashville, said the panels must be placed in areas where they can't be seen by neighbors.

Gore, who starred in the documentary film "An Inconvenient Truth" about global warming, already buys enough energy from renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and methane gas to balance 100 percent of his electricity costs.

He is also upgrading the furnace, windows, and light switches, as well as installing new floor radiant heat and solar vents, to improve the home's energy standards, said Kalee Kreider, a Gore spokeswoman.

The home, bought by Gore in 2002, is more than 70 years old and illustrates the challenges of renovating an older home to conserve more energy, Kreider said.

"It's obviously easier to build a green home from the get-go," she said. "When you purchase an older home, these retrofits take a lot longer."
Old 04-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #279
War Child

Local Time: 05:10 AM
Al Gore is an American politician. Al Gore is a wealthy man. Al Gore has a big house. Al Gore has a big footprint. Al Gore has taken major steps to reduce his footprint.

But why do we expect more than that?

I get so sick of people who call activists like Bono and Gore hypocrites for trivial bullshit without taking into account the enormous amount of good that they do in the world.

At least they're trying. What are you doing?
Old 04-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #280
New Yorker

Location: mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it were reality
holy cow.....

I nearly had a stroke when I saw those bills. And I freak out over a $50 electricity bill and a $75 gas bill!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-19-2007, 05:04 PM   #281
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LPU2
Al Gore is an American politician. Al Gore is a wealthy man. Al Gore has a big house. Al Gore has a big footprint. Al Gore has taken major steps to reduce his footprint.

But why do we expect more than that?

I get so sick of people who call activists like Bono and Gore hypocrites for trivial bullshit without taking into account the enormous amount of good that they do in the world.

At least they're trying. What are you doing?
Well it's just easier for humans to do that than it is to think about and admit what they aren't doing themselves. I say clean your own house before you talk about how dirty someone else's is.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:50 PM   #282
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:40 AM
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/0...venient-truth/

Okkkkkkkkaaaaaayyyyy Frosty, I think I prefer your opinion.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #283
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

I say clean your own house before you talk about how dirty someone else's is.
Isn't that exactly what people are saying to Gore?
Old 04-21-2007, 01:44 PM   #284
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

Isn't that exactly what people are saying to Gore?
And guess what, he is...
Old 04-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #285
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

it amazes me when people post things about burgeoning animal populations or say things like, "remember the acid rain that was supposed to kill us all and it didn't? hype! all of it! hype!"

this is great evidence that environmental regulations work.
Not until the cause is established.