An athiestic President? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2002, 05:19 AM   #1
Acrobat
 
Zooropa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 421
Local Time: 08:50 AM
An athiestic President?

I find it sad that as an acknowledged atheist, I, or any other atheist, could never be elected President of the US. Regardless of my ideas, it just would never happen. Anyone agree??
__________________

__________________
Zooropa is offline  
Old 06-27-2002, 09:32 AM   #2
Refugee
 
Klodomir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,198
Local Time: 02:50 PM
I agree that it would be impossible for an atheist to become president of the United States. To qualify you have to believe in certain things, for instance I also don't think it would be possible to be elected president if one were planning to abolish the death penalty. That's just the way it is and always has been in the US, and I don't see it changing any time soon.
__________________

__________________
Klodomir is offline  
Old 06-27-2002, 09:49 AM   #3
Refugee
 
Achtung Bubba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: One Nation. Under God.
Posts: 1,513
Local Time: 08:50 AM
It's similarly unlikely that the U.S. would elect a Jew, Greek Orthodox, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu...

So your point is what, exactly?

Does it take a person who fits a certain demographic profile to represent that demographic? Would it take a blind president to represent the blind? Or a former second-grade teacher to represent teachers? Or a black man to represent blacks?

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you are right: at the moment, the U.S. would never elect an atheist to the White House. I see three alternatives for those who find this unacceptable:

- Do nothing, and continuing bemoaning the state of things until the day you pass away.

- Push for some way to circumvent the deomcratic process (because, after all, its the people's fault that they wouldn't elect an atheist).

- Or start working to change people's minds - not by telling them that they need to elect an atheist because he's an atheist, but by demonstrating that it's a non-issue.

After all, Colin Powell didn't become the Secretary of State by bemoaning the fact that a black was unlikely to serve such a high office: he worked to show that he was among the VERY best qualified for the position. And in the end, very few have questioned that Bush (a Republican!) chose him on the basis of the content of his character, not the color of his skin.
__________________
DISCLAIMER: The author of the preceding is known
for engaing in very long discussions.
Achtung Bubba is offline  
Old 07-01-2002, 10:46 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life
 
adamswildhoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Somewhere in NorCal
Posts: 10,333
Local Time: 05:50 AM
I dont think that it should matter what religion a president is, but I do realise where other people are coming from. Kind of a different topic but I wonder when there will ever be a woman or an African-American pres. I dont think that will ever happen.
__________________
adamswildhoney is offline  
Old 07-02-2002, 03:40 AM   #5
Acrobat
 
Zooropa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 421
Local Time: 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
It's similarly unlikely that the U.S. would elect a Jew, Greek Orthodox, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu...

So your point is what, exactly?

Does it take a person who fits a certain demographic profile to represent that demographic? Would it take a blind president to represent the blind? Or a former second-grade teacher to represent teachers? Or a black man to represent blacks?

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you are right: at the moment, the U.S. would never elect an atheist to the White House. I see three alternatives for those who find this unacceptable:

- Do nothing, and continuing bemoaning the state of things until the day you pass away.

- Push for some way to circumvent the deomcratic process (because, after all, its the people's fault that they wouldn't elect an atheist).

- Or start working to change people's minds - not by telling them that they need to elect an atheist because he's an atheist, but by demonstrating that it's a non-issue.

After all, Colin Powell didn't become the Secretary of State by bemoaning the fact that a black was unlikely to serve such a high office: he worked to show that he was among the VERY best qualified for the position. And in the end, very few have questioned that Bush (a Republican!) chose him on the basis of the content of his character, not the color of his skin.
Well we almost elected A Jew as Vice-President, so it may not be out of the question that we may one day elect a Jewish President. I was not looking for a solution, more a consensus of opinion, I'm well aware of the situations you brough forth as possible solutions. Gimme a little credit, I'm not a moron. I agree that if it were to happen, it would need to be a non-issue. However, your comparison to Powell is off base and an entirely different set of circumstances.
__________________
Zooropa is offline  
Old 07-02-2002, 09:56 AM   #6
Refugee
 
Achtung Bubba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: One Nation. Under God.
Posts: 1,513
Local Time: 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zooropa
Well we almost elected A Jew as Vice-President, so it may not be out of the question that we may one day elect a Jewish President. I was not looking for a solution, more a consensus of opinion, I'm well aware of the situations you brough forth as possible solutions. Gimme a little credit, I'm not a moron. I agree that if it were to happen, it would need to be a non-issue. However, your comparison to Powell is off base and an entirely different set of circumstances.
I didn't intend my comments to be insulting; I was just disagreeing. Let us review what you said:

I find it sad that as an acknowledged atheist, I, or any other atheist, could never be elected President of the US. Regardless of my ideas, it just would never happen. Anyone agree??

First, I disagree that an acknowledged atheist could never be elected president. And second, even if it's true, I don't see how it's "sad," per se.

Would it be an indication that a predominantly theistic nation thinks the belief in the divine important enough to influence who they vote for? (Or, more specifically, that Christians believe faith in Christ is important enough to influence who they vote for?) Sure, but that's not a reason to start bemoaning how narrow-minded America is, or whatever it is that makes the fact "sad."

Finally, I wonder how my comparison to Powell is off-base. Sure, that brings up the issue of race (something that OUGHT to be less important than it really is) and it's a matter of an appointment rather than an election. But most people either DO approve of the guy or disagree with him on strictly the issues; race really doesn't matter with the guy. AND, polls back in the early 90's (when Powell was supposedly considering a presidential bid) showed he had WIDE support, despite/due to the fact that nobody knew his position on ANYTHING.

It seems to me your first post is pointing at the assumption that this nation is essentially narrow-minded. Sure, Powell is a different matter than an atheist running for president, but it at least indicates that this nation may not be as narrow-minded as the comment suggests.
__________________
DISCLAIMER: The author of the preceding is known
for engaing in very long discussions.
Achtung Bubba is offline  
Old 07-02-2002, 10:31 AM   #7
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,760
Local Time: 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
It's similarly unlikely that the U.S. would elect a Hindu...



so your saying my hopes of being president....aren't going to happen???
__________________
V Nura is offline  
Old 07-02-2002, 05:39 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life
 
JessicaAnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Posts: 11,743
Local Time: 08:50 AM
Food for thought ... (an interesting table comparing the religious affiliation of the Presidents to the general US Population; further down on the page there are links to similar info for Vice Presidents, Congress, Governors and Supreme Court).

http://www.adherents.com/adh_presidents.html

I am Catholic, and

On the other end of the scale, the most under-represented religious group is Catholicism, which has had only one U.S. president (John F. Kennedy), despite making up 26% of the current U.S. population.

Religious affiliation (or lack thereof) is not all that important to me ... where tehy stand on the issues is what matters (if their stance is motivated by religion, great, if not, that's fine too).
__________________
JessicaAnn is offline  
Old 07-02-2002, 06:59 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 08:50 AM
I find it improbable that the U.S. will ever elect anyone who isn't a white Protestant male nowadays. We have to deal with the bigot vote bloc you know...

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 07-02-2002, 07:03 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: back and to the left
Posts: 8,523
Local Time: 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by adamswildhoney
I wonder when there will ever be a woman or an African-American pres. I dont think that will ever happen.
did you even read bubba's first post?

look at alan keyes. i think he has come as close as any black male to becoming president as any others who have run. i mean this in the sense that we know his name, which means he is leaps and bounds ahead of many others. but i think that if colin powel ran for the presidency, he would give his opponent a run for (pardon this pun) money. he hasn't gone through his political career pointing out the fact that he is african american. and look where he is now, that is amazing.

as for women. are you familiar with condolezza rice? not only is she female AND african american, but she is basically the most high-powered woman in the united states.
__________________
Lilly is offline  
Old 07-02-2002, 10:41 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I find it improbable that the U.S. will ever elect anyone who isn't a white Protestant male nowadays. We have to deal with the bigot vote bloc you know...

Melon
Um...

I grew up in Michigan as well.
I'm Korean.
The only bigots I ever met were kids.
Kids don't vote.
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 07-03-2002, 01:44 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: back and to the left
Posts: 8,523
Local Time: 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
The only bigots I ever met were kids.
Kids don't vote.
yeah, because 18 year old males are SO mature....it's ok though, because we can ship them off to war, so we might as well make 18 year olds feel like they can do something by giving them the right to vote for people who don't do anything for them but take away from their social security and then raise tuition and don't even bother representing us...but hey, get out there and vote kids!
__________________
Lilly is offline  
Old 07-03-2002, 10:26 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
U2Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Gulf Coast State of Mine
Posts: 3,405
Local Time: 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
I grew up in Michigan as well.
I'm Korean.
The only bigots I ever met were kids.
Kids don't vote.
But you post conservative opinions. Therefore your experiences are irrelevant.
__________________
U2Bama is offline  
Old 07-04-2002, 07:59 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly


yeah, because 18 year old males are SO mature....it's ok though, because we can ship them off to war, so we might as well make 18 year olds feel like they can do something by giving them the right to vote for people who don't do anything for them but take away from their social security and then raise tuition and don't even bother representing us...but hey, get out there and vote kids!
Um...you might want to loosen your headphones and turn down the volume a bit. Rage Against The Machine isn't good for you if you're injecting it that deep into your ear canal.
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 07-04-2002, 12:37 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: back and to the left
Posts: 8,523
Local Time: 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer


Um...you might want to loosen your headphones and turn down the volume a bit. Rage Against The Machine isn't good for you if you're injecting it that deep into your ear canal.
sorry about the rage (emotion, not the band) induced post i made. i had been called three times that day by candidates looking for money. they were, of course, looking for my parents, and when i said i was of legal age, they didn't really care anymore. but i hit them with questions, issues i'm looking at securing (i.e. "hey! where's my social security!!") and they got confused and of course didn't give me a straight answer. one representative even went so far as to say the the subject was "too complicated" for such a "young mind." that's why i was mad.
__________________

__________________
Lilly is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com