Amnesty for Amina Lawal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

notiti

Refugee
The Nigerian Supreme Court has upheld the death sentence for Amina Lawal, condemned for the crime of adultery on August 19th 2002, to be buried up to her neck and stoned to death. Her death was postponed so that she could continue to nurse her baby. Execution is now set for June 3rd. If you haven't been following this case, you might like to know that Amina's baby is regarded as 'evidence' of her adultery and that the sentance is traditional under Nigeria's Sharia Law. The father has not been condemned in any way, and now denies the affair all together.

To find out more about Sharia Law, see http://www.guardian.co.uk/theissues/article/0,6512,777972.00html

So anyway I find this to be terribly distressing, not only as a woman but as a member of the human race. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the nation of Islam but fundamentalism simply takes it all a bit to far I am afraid. (As is the case with most religions.)

BUT if you want to try to help, maybe you can. Amina's case is being handled by the Spanish branch of Amnesty International, which is attempting to put together enough signatures to make the Nigerian Government rescind the death sentence. A similar campaign saved another Nigerian women, Safiya, condemned in similar circumstances. By March 4th the petition has amassed over 2,600,000 signatures. It will only take you a few seconds to sign Amnesty's online petition. Go to web page http://www.amnistiaporsafiya.org/
Enter your first name in the space marked "nombre", last name in "apellidos". "Provincia" is for your state and then pick your country off the scroll down list. If you are an Aussie you have to put Australia as your provincia and then choose the UK as your country. (The list isn't that comprehensive....) Then click on "Seguir" and go to second page. There you have the option of entering your email address if you wish to receive followup information. In any case, be sure to click on "aceptar" to have your name added to the petition list.
Yeah I know, actual involvment sucks, and the effectivity of online petitions, etc. is always in doubt, but being as it is Amnesty International I tend to trust it a little more. It's worth the five seconds at any rate.
...Bono would want you to do it...

foray,
I don't know that there's an English version of the petition, but if you have a look at the sites I posted they have some information in English.

Also maybe try AltaVista's translation pages - world.altavista.com - you can translate any webpage with that. :)

I signed the petition at Oprah Winfrey's website a couple months ago. It may still be there if others are looking to sign it.

Back
Top Bottom