American travelling in Europe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike P

Acrobat
In light of recent world events, I have a question for all of you from Europe, or have recently been there:

I'm an American student, 22, and I'm planning a trip to Europe this june. Ireland, France, Netherlands, Germany, and Switzerland are on the agenda. I consider myself fairly worldly, and I speak very good French & a little German. What are my chances of being greeted lovingly/ignored/ harassed/ beaten/ firebombed/etc.?

To be honest, I'm not worried. I think Europe may be safer in upcoming months than the U.S. is, but that's a different story...My mother, however, is completely paranoid about me going, and I'd like to reassure her.

Thanks in advance,

-Mike

I would think the vast majority of people would be nice.

If you really want to be on the safe side, put a Canadian flag on your backpack, lol.

Mike P:

your mother shouldn't worry, most European people disslike the American government, not american people - they know to seperate that.

and well there are some radical fools everywhere - but they were there a few years ago too, radical idots like them are also in the US and in Canada, so don't be afraid. Chances of being killed by crossing the road are much higher than meeting one of this guys.

Klaus

p.s. you should add Athens on your trip - imho it's the startingpoint of European culture :)

i'm not sure about that Klaus.... I think most Europeans associate the American government with the people... Put a Canadian flag on Mike, you'll have a better trip and you will be better received... Canadians are loved in Europe and are known as culturally astute and open-minded.

Being European, I can assure you that most Europeans know the difference between policies of their governments and a tourist.

Your mother shouldn?t worry about that. A Canadian flag will not make any difference. Europe is not a continent of racists.

I?d worry about going to the Near East, but not to Europe.

I think you will be greeted lovingly or ignored, just like every tourist. The people who are interested in meeting nice people, will greet you, the dumb ones will ignore you.

You should add Vienna, Austria to your trip - you?re welcome.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Being European, I can assure you that most Europeans know the difference between policies of their governments and a tourist.

Your mother shouldn?t worry about that. A Canadian flag will not make any difference. Europe is not a continent of racists.

I?d worry about going to the Near East, but not to Europe.

:yes:

It's just like when French tourists come here. Most Americans will be friendly and nice, but you'll have your obnoxious few who will be rude.

meegannie said:

:yes:

It's just like when French tourists come here. Most Americans will be friendly and nice, but you'll have your obnoxious few who will be rude.

Exactly. I always liked the friendly, opened american way. And they are so caring! When I visited America in my childhood, they?d fetch us from the airport and everything, they always made us feel welcome. Americans have big hearts.

you should visit hiphop in Vienna. he cooks a DAMN good meal. :up:

btw, I am an American abroad in Europe at the moment and have found Europeans to be intelligent and open-minded. Just don't be loud and obnoxious, stay friendly, and I don't think you'll have any problems whatsoever. I'm going to Paris in a few weeks and am not worried in the least. Speaking some French also helps. ;)

canadian vs. american

well, i've heard of at least one instance where it helped to be canadian:

my friend and his family are from montreal, and were seeking accomadation in Spain... Madrid, I think. Anyway, upon going to the clerk at the Hotel, they were told there were no available rooms. However, as they turned to leave, the manager saw the Canadian flag on my friend's backpack, and exclaimed: "oh, you're canadian! come back, we have some rooms available. I thought you were American."

I'm not sure exactly when this occurred, but it happened within the last three years.

an another note: i'm an american student studying abroad in australia; i've heard stories where certain other american students were told by their universities to claim they were Canadian.

just my two cents...

Claiming to be Canadian can be a good thing, but as far as I know from my numerous Canadian friends, it pisses them off. lol. They don't want obnoxious Americans to go around posing as them and ruin their good reputation.

Klaus, I wish I'd known you lived near Heidelburg. I went through there last August. Lovely place. :up:

I think it's really sad to generalize about nationalities. I'm an American, but most of the time, I'm not loud,or obnoxious.(every human has his/her bad days :D) There are stereotypes about people from different European countries, but I judge people as individuals. Surely there must be SOME obnoxious people in Canada? :sexywink:

And if I were travelling in Europe right now, I would refuse to deny that I am an American. If people would deny me service, accomodations, or whatever because of that-well, that's their problem. If you're going to be that narrow minded to judge all Americans by their govt..sorry, I do feel that is narrow minded. If I thought I'd have to deny that I'm American in order to insure my safety somewhere, I wouldn't go.

And I would just take my normal safety precautions that I always do when travelling. If you need to take any special precautions, the US embassy in each country could maybe help you out-not sure about that.. Have a SAFE and wonderful trip! :)

sulawesigirl4: to make things worse i was in switzerland 2 weeks ago - we might have seen each other on the Airport without notifying :)

MrsSpringsteen:
right - i completely agree with your statement.
I know that Rumsfeld said that Munich is dangerous for Americans, but sorry that's just *** .. not true. I can't look into the future but i can't believe that this will change the next years.

Klaus

MrsSpringsteen said:
Surely there must be SOME obnoxious people in Canada? :sexywink:

Of course there are. I know many! :sexywink:

I think genrally Canadians get a better reputation as we're generally not in the news as much, not in the war, etc. We're more 'low profile' than the States, which has both its advantages and disadvantages.

I can honestly say that Americans DO get a bad rep though, most of the time. I know so many Americans who are wonderful, educated people--definietly NOT deserving of the stigma placed on them. Unfortunately, many people often DO judge based on the country that someone is from, as opposed to the indivdual. I guess, when you meet a tourist for the first time, and won't be spending much time with them, all you really have to go on to form an opinion is your previously based conception of what they might be like, based on the people they associate with (the people in their counrty).

I'm British, and I personally doubt you'll face any problems as an American visiting Europe. As has already been said, the vast majority of Europeans, while they may disagree with the war, will recognise that it's a policy of the US government and not necessarily something supported by the people of the US.

And while everyone's advising you on where to visit, I want to put in a plug for Wales: it's beautiful, peaceful and friendly here so add it to your schedule now. :happy:

Ramu said:
well, i've heard of at least one instance where it helped to be canadian:
I'm ashamed to say I'm not surprised by this
there is a rather umpleasant change in mentality in Europe lately

I hope things will turn back to normal once this war is over
the sense of moral supriority is getting a bit too much

Hi,

I must begin by thanking everyone who has responded. I'm almost positive that I won't have any problems (aside from my broken German :ohmy:) but it's good to hear that from people who know better than I do.

MrsSpringsteen said:

And if I were travelling in Europe right now, I would refuse to deny that I am an American. If people would deny me service, accomodations, or whatever because of that-well, that's their problem. If you're going to be that narrow minded to judge all Americans by their govt..sorry, I do feel that is narrow minded. If I thought I'd have to deny that I'm American in order to insure my safety somewhere, I wouldn't go.

Normally, I would agree completely with this statement. In the last few months, however, I'm finding it increasingly hard to reconcile my pride as an American with the conduct I have seen from both my government and my fellow Americans. I'm not proud of my government right now, not at all. I'm also not proud of people who brush off foreign opinions, and who re-name french fries. It's petty shit like that that gives Americans a bad name.

In addition, judging people just by their government is what most Americans are doing right now. I've heard countless cheers of "France sucks" and "Fuck the French." I guess that's what passes for American diplomacy these days...

In short, I'd usually wear the stars & stripes with pride. But with all the bridges we've burned in the last year, it's not worth it to be that forward anymore. I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut, and keep a story ready. If someone seems friendly, then I'm an American. If they don't, then I'm from a little town on P.E.I., eh.

Mike :

almost every german can speak english too but if you try to speak German i'm sure the vast majority will be happy to help you.
Imho there's no need to hide. but we could talk about that again shortly before you arive in europe again :)

Klaus
p.s. if you want to hide i guess a "peace" t-shirt is more effective than the canadian flag :lol:

Back
Top Bottom