American Taliban soldier - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2001, 10:21 PM   #1
Banned

Local Time: 11:29 PM
American Taliban soldier

What do you all think of this?

Kid trying to find his way going terrible astray?

Traitor who should be thrown before American Court for treason?

Kill him?

Personally, I waver toward the first notion...a kid gone terrible astray. Bring him home and get him some help.

------------------
Kennedy

Old 12-05-2001, 10:31 PM   #2
War Child

Get him some help? This is a kid who was toting an AK-47 and using it against American servicemen and women.

The constutition is very clear about this one. Something to the effect of if you bare arms against your country in a time of war, you are committing treason.

Try him in court or don't let him back into the country. I have no mercy for someone who chose to fight against Americans in this war.

Old 12-05-2001, 10:42 PM   #3
Banned

Do you think he knew he was fighting against America?

------------------
Kennedy
Old 12-05-2001, 11:57 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheU2:
Do you think he knew he was fighting against America?

Yes, didn't his Dad say he went to Afghanistan after 9/11?
Old 12-06-2001, 01:33 AM   #5
War Child

Do you think he knew he was fighting against America? Huh?! Hell yes he knew.

Shortly after the bombing of the USS Cole, where 19 lives were taken, this piece of trash told his dad that he was happy it happened. He also said he supported the 9-11 attacks.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:13 AM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Yes, didn't his Dad say he went to Afghanistan after 9/11?
No.

He went there 6 months ago.

Quote:
Get him some help? This is a kid who was toting an AK-47 and using it against American servicemen and women.
Prove it.

Prove that he engaged in combat against U.S soliders.

Quote:
The constutition is very clear about this one. Something to the effect of if you bare arms against your country in a time of war, you are committing treason.
It says that treason requires 2 witnesses or a confession.

So far, I'll I've heard is that he joined the Taliban 6 months ago and was sent to fight in Kashmir. Nothing about fighting the U.S

Quote:
Try him in court or don't let him back into the country. I have no mercy for someone who chose to fight against Americans in this war.
The interesting thing is, there was no war when he joined up. He did not choose to fight in this war.

There is no proof that he even fought U.S personell.

I'm not defending him by any means, just clarifying some points.

One could even argue that he was no longer a citizen by the time he was captured, if it was determined that he had voluntarily expatriated himself, it would negate any treason charges.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:22 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Dr. Gonzo,

While it's likely he never engaged in combat with US forces, he must have known after 2.5 months of fighting that the US was backing the Northern Alliance.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:46 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer:
Dr. Gonzo,

While it's likely he never engaged in combat with US forces, he must have known after 2.5 months of fighting that the US was backing the Northern Alliance.
Do you think this kid had access to any credible media? When was the last time he saw a TV or read a newspaper? The only thing this kid was fed was propaganda lies. For all he knew, he probably thought that it was Russia who was dropping bombs on his head.

CK
Old 12-06-2001, 09:59 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
No.

He went there 6 months ago.
Thanks for clarifying that, DoctorGonzo. I read about it when the story first broke, and his Dad said that until recently, he had not eve known that his son had even gone to Afghanistan.

Keep in mind that I did not indicate one way or the other what I think should be done with him.

~U2Alabama

Old 12-06-2001, 10:00 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by TheU2:
Do you think this kid had access to any credible media? When was the last time he saw a TV or read a newspaper? The only thing this kid was fed was propaganda lies. For all he knew, he probably thought that it was Russia who was dropping bombs on his head.
CK
How could that be the case, with his superior officers yelling "Death to the great Satan America!" every 3 minutes?
Do you really think the Taliban soldiers don't know who they're fighting? No way. They consider it an honor to die if they can kill a few westerners while doing so.
Besides, in Newseek, he was quoted as saying he supported the 9/11 attacks.

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 12-06-2001).]
Old 12-06-2001, 10:53 AM   #11
War Child

You know what? I was wrong about this guy. I'm sure he's a decent fellow. He was just a bit mislead. Poor guy. Actually, he's the one who is the victim here, not the American troops whom he was fighting. This guy didn't mean any harm to America when he joined the biggest anti-American group in the world. This guy didn't mean America any harm when he rejoyced after the Cole bombing where 19 sailors, mothers and fathers, were killed. Like some of you have said, he just didn't know any better. Poor kid, victim of circumstance. Don't know why he was one of the last to surrender at the prison. Also don't know how people can say he had no idea that he was fighting America when he saw the two CIA men in the prison. Heck, he even witnessed the murder of one of them. But how was he supposed to know that they were American? Poor kid. Let's clean him up, bring him home in time to celebrate Christmas and get him started on some kind of social program right away. God bless America.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:04 AM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfwill23:
You know what? I was wrong about this guy. I'm sure he's a decent fellow. He was just a bit mislead. Poor guy. Actually, he's the one who is the victim here, not the American troops whom he was fighting. This guy didn't mean any harm to America when he joined the biggest anti-American group in the world. This guy didn't mean America any harm when he rejoyced after the Cole bombing where 19 sailors, mothers and fathers, were killed. Like some of you have said, he just didn't know any better. Poor kid, victim of circumstance. Don't know why he was one of the last to surrender at the prison. Also don't know how people can say he had no idea that he was fighting America when he saw the two CIA men in the prison. Heck, he even witnessed the murder of one of them. But how was he supposed to know that they were American? Poor kid. Let's clean him up, bring him home in time to celebrate Christmas and get him started on some kind of social program right away. God bless America.

Give me a break.

CK
Old 12-06-2001, 01:27 PM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Yes, but I doubt he had accurate information regarding the situation, and I highly doubt he had any choice in the matter. He couldn't just pack up and say goodbye.

And the involvement of U.S forces has been very minimal. They are barely even there. Even if he wanted to, he wouldn't have had many chances to engage Americans. Most Taliban fighters have never come in contact with any. (Remember, it's largely a proxy war) Furthermore, there has been no evidence to suggest that he ever had any oppertunity to engage Americans. So, until some hard evidence is produced, he cannot be held accountable for fighting Americans.

Quote:
Shortly after the bombing of the USS Cole, where 19 lives were taken, this piece of trash told his dad that he was happy it happened. He also said he supported the 9-11 attacks.
Emotional support does not equal participation. He had very little to do with Al-Queda in the sense of being an operative or offering support. His relationship with Al-Queda seems to be similar to that the one between a National Gaurdsmen in Vermont and the paramillitary wing of the CIA.

In fact, his background would make him someone to be distrusted by the Al-Queda hirearchy. It's actually quite amazing that he made it into the Taliban. With legions of Arab supporters in the region, the #1 target for CIA inflitration is not exactly eager to bring in some American. They don't really need fighters that badly, and the damage he could do were he an operative, would be immense.

Which is probably why they sent him to the one place on Earth where he could do virtually no damage.

Kashmir.

The conflict there is something that the CIA studies but does not participate in, and has little interest in inflitrating. Even if they did, they have no agenda to persue. They are not particularly in favor of any one side in the conflict and even if Walker was an operative, he would not have any relevent information to report in the first place.

So, it is abundantly clear to me that he was diliberatley kept out of the loop, so to speak. Sent to where he couldn't do any damage while still proving useful to the Taliban.

I believe there is zero evidence to suggest he had any part in any terrorist operation and there is quite a bit to suggest he was not trusted enough to be given access to any information regarding such acts.

Quote:
You know what? I was wrong about this guy. I'm sure he's a decent fellow. He was just a bit mislead. Poor guy. Actually, he's the one who is the victim here, not the American troops whom he was fighting. This guy didn't mean any harm to America when he joined the biggest anti-American group in the world. This guy didn't mean America any harm when he rejoyced after the Cole bombing where 19 sailors, mothers and fathers, were killed. Like some of you have said, he just didn't know any better.
As I said above, his emotional support of the attack does not indicate any involvement.

Quote:
Don't know why he was one of the last to surrender at the prison
Probably because he was in the basement after having walked 100 miles on foot through the desert. He couldn't even get up onto his feet, much less run out waving a white flag.

Quote:
Also don't know how people can say he had no idea that he was fighting America when he saw the two CIA men in the prison
Given his conditon, I'm surprised he even realized they were Americans. He was immobile, severly ill and semi-lucid at best.

Quote:
Heck, he even witnessed the murder of one of them.
I doubt that. He was in the basement, unable to move. The fact he was at the prison when the CIA agent was killed does not indicate he had any involvement, or even saw it happen. It would have been impossible for him to participate in it anyway.

Quote:
But how was he supposed to know that they were American?
He could barely remember his own name, at the time.

Quote:
Poor kid. Let's clean him up, bring him home in time to celebrate Christmas and get him started on some kind of social program right away.

Quote:
God bless America.
God Bless Humanity
Old 12-06-2001, 01:33 PM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 04:29 PM
This is not all that complicated. We know the following about John Walker:

1.) Walker is a self-motivated young man who converted from Catholicism to Islam at the age of 16 and who visited Yemen at the age of 18 to learn Arabic. He was not captured and "brainwashed."

2.) After visiting Yemen he became radicalized and indicated to his father that he supported the terrorist bombing of the U.S.S. Cole that resulted in the murder of 19 Americans. His father admits that he was appalled by his sons viewpoint and that he tried to argue with him but that his son was unwavering. He thought the attack was a good thing.

3.) The young man in question then lied to his father about visiting Pakistan and instead joined Al-Qaida forces in Afghanistan. Reports indicate that he was involved in terrorist attacks in Kashmir. Al-Quaida has repeatedly made known their goal to kill Westerners, particularly Americans. Walker himself has admitted that he saw Osama Bin-Laden several times.

4.) Walker admitted to Newsweek that he supported the September 11 attacks on the WTC and the Pentagon.

So, to summarize: Walker is a radical Islamic terrorist at war with the United States. Did he actually fire his AK-47 at an American soldier? I have no idea but it's irrelevant. He's a member of an avowed terrorist group dedicated to the murder of Americans and other Westerners and I wouldn't allow him back in our country. If he insisted upon coming back I would try him for treason.

MAP
Old 12-06-2001, 07:21 PM   #15
Refugee

I think people like that are just pathetic excuses of a human being, and should be thrown into court for treason, for that is exactly what it is.

In Britain we have LOADS of these incidents where ridiculous, malevolent and UNGRATEFUL pieces of excrement voluntarily go and fight against the country who's limited resources THEY consumed, who's welfare state THEY used, who's economy THEY drained, all so they can go and betray it. As much as I despise the members of Al-Qaeda who are from the Middle East, I absolutely abhor those who were born here in Europe and still have the audacity and humanity (or lack of) to go and help to destroy the very world they lived in and used.

Traitors, and they should be treated as such. Put them all in jail and leave them there to rot.

Ant.