American stereotype of Italian men may be wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2bonogirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Back on the blue crack after a long break
The Associated Press
Updated: 10:28 p.m. ET June 23, 2005

ST. LOUIS - Forget that image of the swaggering, macho Italian. A new study suggests that American stereotypes about domineering Italian men don’t hold up.

Researchers at the University of Missouri-Columbia found that Italian male university students seemed to have less traditional attitudes than American men when it came to views of masculinity.

“As predicted, the findings of this study cast doubt on the accuracy of prevalent American stereotypes of Italian males as patriarchal, macho, violent and domineering, the type of Mafioso image presented in ’The Sopranos’ and ’The Godfather,”’ the researchers reported. They had compared surveys of Americans to Italians and did not specifically study Italian-American men.
Story continues below ↓ advertisement

A group of 152 male students at public universities in Rome and Palermo, Italy, were asked to respond to statements developed in the United States to study traditional versus nontraditional attitudes about masculinity. The Italian group’s responses were less traditional on nine of 11 masculine norms.

The statements involved such areas as risk-taking and emotional control and included phrases such as, “Violence is almost never justified,” and “It is best to keep your emotions hidden.” Those surveyed chose answers that ranged from “strongly agree” to “strongly disagree.”

Missouri graduate student David Tager collected the data on central and southern Italians while living in Rome in 2003. The findings were compared to a survey by others that looked at 752 American men.

The findings by Tager and Missouri associate professor of health and psychology Glenn Good will appear in the October issue of the Psychology of Men and Masculinity Journal.

Flirtatious, emotional
College men in Italy reported being less threatened by homosexuality and didn’t define their masculinity as much as the Americans surveyed in terms of having power over women, the researchers said.

Good and Tager speculated that the Italians may have reported being less threatened by homosexuals because the gay community is not as publicly visible as in the United States. And they wrote that Italian men “may not perceive themselves as having power over women because of the traditional power of women within the Italian family structure.”

The study did, however, provide some support to the playboy stereotype, “that of the flirtatious and emotional Italian male vying for the attention of a woman.”

Sociology professor emeritus Jerome Krase with City University’s Brooklyn College trained as a social psychologist and served as the former president of the American Italian Historical Association, a group that studies the Italian experience in the United States.

Krase noted the study wasn’t truly designed to prove or disprove stereotypes, but he liked the fact that the researchers had addressed their existence, and that they suggested more study of the topic would be useful.

He said many Americans don’t understand the complexities of Italy, such as a strong tradition of feminism and the nation’s current low birth rate, factors that could have an effect on Italian ideas about society, family and ultimately masculinity.

“It’s a good psychological study. Where I would fault it is if someone tried to present it as a very powerful study of Italian society,” he said.

Lets try and stay away from the gay community thing for at least 5 posts shall we :p
I think this is interesting....maybe some of you might too

i still love the Sopranos.

and Goodfellas.

and the Godfathers 1 and 2.

and pizza.

and tiramisu.

and Naples, Florence, Rome, Capri, Venice, the Amalfi Coast, Milan, Positano, Sorrento ...

i also think that all stereotypes are incorrect, yet rooted in certain truths.

my goodness, if i had a Euro for every single time people made assumptions about my likes and dislikes and attitudes when i was living in Europe ... i'd have hundreds of dollars (especially with the current exchange rate).

i could write pages and pages on this.

i found a few things to be universal: bad taste, and stereotypes.

we all do it.

I feel like saying, "Well, yeah..." to this study. I've always been fully aware that not all Italian men act the way they've been portrayed. Some take on the persona that's been depicted before, others don't-that's the way it is with all groups that have been portrayed a certain way by the media.

I do agree with Irvine, though, in many a stereotype, there's always a kernel of truth.

Angela

I had an Italian boyfriend for many years and spent a good deal of time in Italy. I found the stereotype of Italian women having most of the power to be incredibly true. Italian women are very impressive. And oh, my weakness for Italian men is pathetic--probably because I like the fact that they aren't shy about making their attraction known. American men just don't approach me as freely as European men, and Italian men in particular, do and I have to say I really like it. I have never had so many charming and persistent gentlemen pursuing me as I did in Italy, although the Italian I ended up with I met in Peru, lol. Lately I think I will have to leave the country to get a date. :huh:

One thing my Italian ex used to say was that Americans have this really romanticized view of Italians. He was shocked by things like pasta sauce commercials that portrayed happy Italian families having big dinners outside in the gorgeous countryside when in fact, he'd say, "Italy is full of single men sitting in front of the TV eating Nutella out of the jar for dinner." :laugh:

joyfulgirl said:
Lately I think I will have to leave the country to get a date. :huh:

LOL, I think I may have to do that, too. Nothing against American men at all, as I've met a few charming ones in my lifetime and all that good stuff, but seriously, there's just something about a guy from another part of the world with a whole new view on things and an entirely different way of talking...to a small-town American girl, that's sexy :shrug:.

Originally posted by joyfulgirl
One thing my Italian ex used to say was that Americans have this really romanticized view of Italians. He was shocked by things like pasta sauce commercials that portrayed happy Italian families having big dinners outside in the gorgeous countryside when in fact, he'd say, "Italy is full of single men sitting in front of the TV eating Nutella out of the jar for dinner." :laugh:

:laugh:. That's interesting. Yeah, that image has certainly been projected many a time here, there's no doubt about that.

Hehe, now every time I see one of those kinds of commercials, I'm gonna think about what your ex said :p.

Angela

joyfulgirl said:
he'd say, "Italy is full of single men sitting in front of the TV eating Nutella out of the jar for dinner." :laugh:

hey, when i lived in Brussels i did that.

this was usually after a trip to Amsterdam.

:shifty:

I don't believe in stereotypes, but many Italian men are chauvinists. Neanderthalism however is an equal opportunity trait.

It is nice just to be treated w/ kindness, decency, and respect-is that too much to ask for? Seems so

The only Italian man I know in depth is my 85 year old uncle, from Sicily.
He's a roar. Still goes clubbing at his age, drives an Escalade and stays out till 1am.
He DOES use the explicit language and often is male chauvinistic in some ways...but he's pretty cool in my book.

najeena said:
u2bonogirl, what were your European friends stereotype of Americans? I'm curious.

thanks

Just a few things...
We're rude
and pushy
That we believe we are superior in some ways
And that we're uncultured
But they also did say that it was an unfair stereotype. But still out there

joyfulgirl said:
sitting in front of the TV eating Nutella out of the jar for dinner."

Yikes! I think I might be an Italian man. :ohmy:

Irvine511 said:

hey, when i lived in Brussels i did that.

this was usually after a trip to Amsterdam.

Did you live in Brussels, Irvine? How did you like it here?

Ah, Amsterdam...the good ol' munchies :wink:

My family background is Italian and I've travelled there 3 times. The whole Italian Sopranos, Godfather is so much bullshit - I've never seen anything like that anywhere (but then, they are American inventions :wink: ). Italians (and especially Northern Italians) are cultured, funny, elegant and proud, and they know all about feminism.

Well of course the godfather stuff was an American invention - they were dealing with Sicilian families who had established little crime empires in the US. Stands to reason that doesn't represent Italians or anything else for that matter.

hee hee. The fun thing about that is, some Italian girls like Northern Europeans better - not only for their blonde hair but also because Italian boys

live with their parents and grandparents up to 30 y.o. or longer
no.1 is a hot car, not a hot woman

However, I have met some nice, gentle Italian men.

Generally it is true that women have a lot of power in relationships.. I remember when I came home from work 20 minutes late, my Italian ex-girlfriend opened the window when I was entering the house, crying down "And where have you been staying for so long". It was very funny, she acted like a housewive from Naples who´d just hung the clothes out over the street to dry :D I laughed my ass off, went up there, took her in my arms, and ate the Minestrone she had prepared for me.. lol.

the soul waits said:

Did you live in Brussels, Irvine? How did you like it here?

Ah, Amsterdam...the good ol' munchies :wink:

i did live in Brussels for a little over a year in 2000-2001. i lived a ways from the center in Boitsford, which is a lovely little village with the best Farmer's Market i have ever seen in my entire life on Sundays.

i enjoyed Brussels, though there was an adjustment period and quite a bit of loneliness. i had just graduated from college as well, and adjusting to life as an adult. i found the weather dreary, but the food excellent, as well as the cultural opportunities, huge international population, delicious beer, and the ease of travel to London, Paris, and Amsterdam. it took a little while to meet people, but i wound up with a nice group of very international friends made up of equal parts Belgians, Germans, Irish, Swedes, English, and Americans.

i spent a lot of time at Le Bizon, Booze and Blues, and in and around Place St. Germaine ... though i'm starting to forget the names of some of the bars i used to frequent ...

I dont know that specific town you speak off, you sure about the spelling?

I'm glad you had a good time here.
It's such a small country allthough that has the advantage that you can cross the borders quickly as well :) and find yourself "abroad" within the hour.

the soul waits said:
I dont know that specific town you speak off, you sure about the spelling?

I'm glad you had a good time here.
It's such a small country allthough that has the advantage that you can cross the borders quickly as well :) and find yourself "abroad" within the hour.

just checked -- i think it's spelled Boitsfort. it was directly south of the center, right on the outskirts, but still within the Ring.

i was an intern at the International School of Brussels, which was a 5 minute walk from my apartment.

oh, the stories i have ... it was a great year, very hard at times (as anyone who's ever been an expat will tell you), but it was all worth it.

i'm now an expert on international beers, with Belgian being a special area of interest.

Ah, you mean Bekkevoort? Lol, I probably didn't recognize the name since we don't speak english here in daily life.

Beers, yes!
Also, did you taste our specialty : french fries? There's nothingh french about them, we invented them and are experts at them, :)

I can imagine it was hard here at times, I personally hated every second of my university years - the student life clashed with my personality, and that's putting it mildly.

Also, Belgians are pretty reserved people and it can get hard to get acquainted with someone, beyond the daily "hi, how are you"-greetings.

Back
Top Bottom