American soldiers throw living puppy off cliff - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by gherman
How about I post a video of a line of U.S. soldiers being executed by a bullet to the head and then the bodies being drug through the streets. Guess how the video got out? One soldier was left alive to make sure it got into the hands of the U.S. media. Then you people will still talk about how cruel it was for puppy?
Cruelty is cruelty.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I think this is a horrible leap of logic on your part.

yes, yes and yes.. I agree.. One broad stroke of the brush there.. I mean really.. IMO, that is so far off the mark in what people think and feel about the deaths of the soldiers putting their lives on the lines for us.. Your statement does not represent really what americans think.

The problem with that is the media has stopped making the goings ons of the war top news most days.. So, just cuz this is not page 1 does not mean Americans feel the same way..

I am well aware of what the military goes thru in this with my hubby being active duty.. We are apart of that community..

Old 03-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #78
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:15 AM
Members of the army are supposed to protect and defend our country.
What threat to them was that puppy? They certainly didn't protect nor were they defending it. They could have just let be and leave it where it was. Thats basically the bottom line of the whole topic, not which is more cruel.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

This is very well said, and I don't mean to say that these guys ought to get a pass. Obviously they're pretty messed up, and they need help. I'm just slightly disappointed that people are calling for them to be thrown into jail or court martialed, what have you. These are soldiers and they've obviously been affected to this point by the extreme situation they're in. They're young men, probably younger than I am (21), and they're coping with a situation none of us have been in and none of us can even fathom.

Everyone can do abhorrent things they would never imagine they could do if placed in a war zone. Let's take a step back and offer help before we condemn and treat them like murderers.
Well I agree with you I just don't think it's fair for some people here to take other people's words out of context and accuse them of not caring about US soldiers in general.

IMO, if this war is really screwing with their heads so much they think doing things like this is OK, then yes they need to be discharged for their own mental safety. I won't start demanding certain punishments b/c honestly I don't know how our military works. I've read that if this video is real, then they will be dealt with and that's satisfactory to me. I do not AT ALL think it is appropriate that people's families are receiving death threats over this and there's all these sites cropping up just to belittle the guys involved, but I don't think what they did is OK b/c they were in Iraq for a while.

Like I said before, I just think it belittles those in our military who serve under the same conditions or worse and come home with the same compassion and conscience they always had. I mean, I know a guy who went to Iraq and his truck got bombed, his arm got really messed up and lord knows what happened to the others involved. Yet he wanted to get back as soon as possible b/c his dream in life is to be a chaplain for the marines. For every person that gets so fucked up they start torturing animals and worse, there's probably 100 people that don't.

I also think it's worthless for people to keep saying "well yeah he killed a puppy but what about this video...?" Hello, they are not mutually exclusive. Like someone else said, cruelty is cruelty. Just because this makes people irate doesn't mean they don't care about anything else having to do with this war. Actually, I've watched Bagdad ER three times and never watched the puppy video we're talking about. Who cares? What's next people will accuse me of not caring about kids because I volunteer at an animal shelter and not a tutoring program?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
They're young men, probably younger than I am (21), and they're coping with a situation none of us have been in and none of us can even fathom.

Everyone can do abhorrent things they would never imagine they could do if placed in a war zone. Let's take a step back and offer help before we condemn and treat them like murderers.
I was in that position, but from the other side (as a refugee). There were two types of soldiers, that I learned very early on. The kind who managed to retain their humanity, and the ones that did not. And yes, I condemn those, because you always have the ability to make the right choice, even when that is the difficult one.

War is terrible and it does terrible things to people. But some people are terrible people who happen to go to war, and that only amplifies the fact they were worthless packs of cells to begin with.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:49 PM   #81
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

But some people are terrible people who happen to go to war, and that only amplifies the fact they were worthless packs of cells to begin with.
That was my thought as I was reading this. I'd be willing to bet that these individuals were damaged before they even went to war.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:56 AM   #82
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk

That was my thought as I was reading this. I'd be willing to bet that these individuals were damaged before they even went to war.

we have a surge to maintain.

you take what you can (heterosexually) get.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:22 AM   #83
Refugee

Local Time: 04:15 PM
Notwithstanding this horrible act of cruely, what I STILL don't understand is why the marine allowed this to be videotaped? Even though he was supposedly alone in the desert didn't he know that in this day and age nothing is kept secret and if someone passes wind in Australia it will be smelled in Greenland?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:51 AM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBono
Notwithstanding this horrible act of cruely, what I STILL don't understand is why the marine allowed this to be videotaped? Even though he was supposedly alone in the desert didn't he know that in this day and age nothing is kept secret and if someone passes wind in Australia it will be smelled in Greenland?
The same brain that decided to throw a puppy decided to video tape it. Seems these two are lacking sense in general.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #85
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico

you have absolutely no idea how some of us are personally affected by this war. you have no idea who you are talking to and i think you shouldn't jump to such ridiculous and false generalizations. a simple breeze through the archive will show how many in this forum are upset about the accumulating loss of lives over there. the loss of lives of our friends and relatives comes up quite frequently when in iraq war threads.
You have no idea who you are talking to. Unless you have lost a family member like me to the war don't say another thing to me. ever.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by gherman

You have no idea who you are talking to. Unless you have lost a family member like me to the war don't say another thing to me. ever.
no i have not lost any of my friends/family who are/were there. i've been lucky so far. look i'm sorry for your loss, but your generalizations are absurd and out of line. to say we don't care about what our soldiers are going through was completely pulled out of your colon and came out of nowhere. noone ever said anything like that and it is downright offensive of you to make such an accusation.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #87
Forum Moderator

I think maybe we'd best drop the issue of whether and how this is an acceptable thread topic to have an emotional response to, guys. Otherwise there's really no point in leaving it open.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #88
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
I think maybe we'd best drop the issue of whether and how this is an acceptable thread topic to have an emotional response to, guys. Otherwise there's really no point in leaving it open.
I'm going to stop. Sorry about that Yolland. I lost one brother last year and my other baby brother is over there right now. I get a little heated up. I didn't mean to say nobody cares, my fingers type a little out of conrol when I'm mad. It just bothers me to see all of this attention on a national level for something like this when my brother got a little local attention when he died for nothing in my opinion but he chose to go and we supported him. My complaint is that if the guy threw a chicken of the cliff and died would people be saying the same stuff? Its has a life to. Sorry.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #89
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:15 AM
gherman-

God Bless your brother, you and your brother currently serving .

Stay safe

diamond
Old 03-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #90
New Yorker

Thank You Diamond. If its ok I don't want to talk about it anymore. Posting here, going to work and studying helps me to forget about it as much as possible because if I don't keep busy I just can't function. I am a little too quick tempered and it has only been getting worse these past few years. Sorry guys.