American pilot drops 500 pound bomb, Kills 4 Canadians. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2002, 11:02 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 04:47 PM
American pilot drops 500 pound bomb, Kills 4 Canadians.

Canada launches inquiry into Afghanistan bombing deaths

OTTAWA - Canada is launching a board of inquiry to find out how a training mission in Afghanistan turned into a tragedy that took the lives of four Canadian soldiers.

The four soldiers died when a U.S. National Guard F-16 fighter jet dropped either one or two 250-kilogram (500 pound) laser-guided bombs during an overnight training exercise. Dead are Sgt. Marc Leger, Cpl. Ainsworth Dyer, Pte. Richard Green, and Pte. Nathan Smith.

Eight other soldiers were wounded. Six of them arrived for medical treatment at an American military hospital in Germany Thursday. Governor General Adrienne Clarkson was there to meet them. Two of the soldiers are in very serious condition. The other four could be on their way home by Saturday.

The wounds of the two others are minor and they've been treated in Afghanistan. The bodies of the four soldiers who were killed are expected to arrive in Germany Friday, before being flown back to Canada.

According to an American report, two U.S. fighters spotted the live fire and asked a command centre for permission to strafe the area. Permission was denied. But the report says the jets thought they were being attacked and one of them bombed the area.

Canadian flag at half-mast in Kandahar
The U.S. jet was reportedly not involved in the training exercise on the ground.

Marley Leger, the wife of Sgt. Leger, told CBC News that her husband was 29 and had been a soldier for eight or nine years. She said family members were on their way to her home in Edmonton.

The victims were all members of the Third Battalion of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, based in Edmonton.

The Defence Department said the deaths were the first loss of Canadian lives in an offensive operation since the Korean War in the 1950s.

-------------------------------------------

This has outraged me. How could something in this day and age happen like this.

I heard this early this morning and have'nt even seen it on any American news channels. How could a country ask for our help and be so careless as to bomb us. If this would have been a Canadian bomb droped on four Americans there would be a uproar. This is something that should not happen and i would hope to see this pilot, who was told not to drop a bomb, be prosecuted or at least kicked out of the army!!

This hits close to home as these men live about three blocks from where i am currently residing.

What are some of your thoughts. What should be the punnishment. Should Canada even bother sending help if something like this could happen?

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Old 04-19-2002, 12:16 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:47 PM
was it not about 1/3 of american casualties were a result of friendly fire in the gulf storm operations?

american coverage is as expected: poor.

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 04-18-2002).]

Old 04-19-2002, 12:17 AM   #3
Kid A

Local Time: 06:47 PM
I understand you are angry and you want answers, you want justice, but this was an accident, it seems that the pilots panicked, this article and others indicate the pilot thought they were under attack. I don't know what else to say, it's incredibly sad and tragic, but every indication is that this was not some reckless cowboy dropping bombs for the hell of it. It was an accident.

And to say that Canada shouldn't send help if something like this could happen... could it happen? Well yeah, there is always the risk that something tragic could happen, by accident or through conflict with an enemy.

Again, my deepest sympathies to the families of these men. I'm sorry that something like this happened, it's sad when anyone dies senselessly.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:28 AM   #4
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi:
was it not about 1/3 of american casualties were a result of friendly fire in the gulf storm operations?

american coverage is as expected: poor.

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 04-18-2002).]
I saw the first special report about this last night (in the US) and there has been coverage all day.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:45 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 04:47 PM
I have watched Cnn from 10 am till 8pm...sick isnt it. I seen it once. mentioned only.

Wanderer, the pilot radiod base and asked to drop a bomb and they said NO. He took another trip around and seen more guns going off, not at him, and dropped a 500 pound bomb. I was allways under the impression that if you are told NO by your supervisors then you dont do it.

This friendly fire shit is killing people. I dont know how many people have been killed in friendly fire on this WAR on Terror, but i have definitley seen it a few times before.

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono
Old 04-19-2002, 02:45 AM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 11:47 PM
umm, not to sound insensitive here, but this is all part of the ugly face of war. IT IS NOT JUSTIFIED BY WAR, but unfortunately when you are dealing with weapons, explosives etc, unfortunate results can happen.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

[This message has been edited by zooropa16 (edited 04-18-2002).]
Old 04-19-2002, 07:16 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:
I saw the first special report about this last night (in the US) and there has been coverage all day.
not denying there isn't coverage. what there is, as with most everything else, is of poor quality.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:06 AM   #8
Acrobat

What is poor quality about it? What more should it say?

I saw it on CNN...MSNBC...ABC...and NBC.

Four Canadians were killed by friendly fire. The pilot did not know about their training manuevers...thought it was hostile action and without orders from his supervisors dropped the bomb.

Terrible.

I was an Army wife for a while. Those on active duty accept the fact that they might be killed in action...and they also accept the fact they could easily be killed in training or by their allies. Doesn't make it any easier on their family and friedsn though..
During WWII and Viet Nam friendly fire incidents happened much more frequently...it just seems so awful now because we are having fewer casualties of war...the press coverage is quicker etc etc. and when it does happen...it stands out more. Gets more coverage..

And there would be no uproar here if it was the other way around. We may not be the best people in the world...but I think we are better people than you give us credit for being...and so are you. We would know it was an accident...still to investigate it completely is the right thing to do.

Now our media might have taken it and run with it and tried to make it more than it was...but the common people..no...we would know it was a terrible accident.

dream wanderer

Old 04-19-2002, 08:46 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by dream wanderer:
What is poor quality about it? What more should it say?

I saw it on CNN...MSNBC...ABC...and NBC.
well i don't know why this is about the media now but american coverage of anything is, in general poor quality. i stated such in passing response to someone else's reference to the media. i am aware that they did show it. in the end i would hazard a guess that american news viewers will see little of the 'outcome' of this story, hear little of the canadian inquiry that has been launched. views are slanted, part truths are told for no qualified reason. maybe it's nationalistic, maybe it's the networks responding to their viewers or maybe they suck. but this thread isn't about that

you are right, what happened was a tragic accident. anyone found to be at fault should be reprimanded. unfortunately 'war' has claimed more victims.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:20 AM   #10
Ghost of Love

Too bad they most likely won't learn their lesson from this and PACK UP and come home?!? OBL isn't even in the country any more, and is there any real hope of ever catching him? From what I've heard they've pretty much evened the score body count wise, so isn't it time to call the whole thing off?

Gabriel

"War, what is it good for...absolutely nothin, say it again!"
Old 04-19-2002, 09:27 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by gabrielvox:
Too bad they most likely won't learn their lesson from this and PACK UP and come home?!? OBL isn't even in the country any more, and is there any real hope of ever catching him? From what I've heard they've pretty much evened the score body count wise, so isn't it time to call the whole thing off?
Gabriel
"War, what is it good for...absolutely nothin, say it again!"
If it was all about catching Bin Laden, you'd have a point, or if it were about how many people get killed, you'd have a point. But teh object was never either of these. Part of the objective was to totally destroy the Al Qaeda network. That hasn't been done yet.

Old 04-19-2002, 12:38 PM   #12
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
not denying there isn't coverage. what there is, as with most everything else, is of poor quality.
point taken
Old 04-19-2002, 02:15 PM   #13
Acrobat

Quote:
[B] i am aware that they did show it. in the end i would hazard a guess that american news viewers will see little of the 'outcome' of this story, hear little of the canadian inquiry that has been launched. views are slanted, part truths are told for no qualified reason. maybe it's nationalistic, maybe it's the networks responding to their viewers or maybe they suck. but this thread isn't about that

B]
You are right if Americans want to know any more about the outcome and the investigation they will have to search for it themselves online or watch Candaian news or the BBC...our news might at the end of the investigation give the findings... if we are lucky...but that will be about all.

dream wanderer

Old 04-19-2002, 04:06 PM   #14
Babyface

Local Time: 05:47 PM
gabeski, please note my interest in the topic as well.
(the topic is Alternate Ways to Skin Cats, right? Or was it Liturgical Prayers That Keep People From Finding Out The Origin Of Electronic Mail? Either way, please note my interest.)
Old 04-19-2002, 04:40 PM   #15
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by gabrielvox:
You know what else Ive noticed? Since you and I squared off over religion I have recieved no less than 20 virus emails, previously I have never EVER had even one. If you pray daily you'd better pray I don't find out they originated from you. And I will find out where they came from, believe me.
Hey gabriel thats a pretty strong accusation.
I think we all need to tone it down a bit here.

------------------
Sooth me mother..

My Lair