American Law/Legal System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dreadsox said:
Ben Franklin was a deist. He was not a Christian. Having him call for a prayer, does not necessarily mean that he was calling for a Christian prayer.

So he was allowing religion to factor in just not Judeo-Christian belief?

Dreadsox said:
The death penalty existed in Rome......long before Christianity.

How does that make it a Judeo-Christian Concept?

This is the same discussion I am having with BVS. The fact the the people in this country when putting capital punishment in their state constitutions did so because of Biblical principles. That is what makes it Judeo-Christian.

Didn't Rome exist before Christianity? If so, then it has more to do with the death penalty than any Christian belief.

Dreadsox said:
Didn't Rome exist before Christianity? If so, then it has more to do with the death penalty than any Christian belief.

Ok so you are saying outright that the reason the death penalty is in individual state constitutions has more to do with Rome, and nothing to do with Biblical principles. Or are you saying that in the bible an eye for an eye is not Biblical because it existed prior to Moses recording it into law?

Another thing, eye for an eye is really kindy a dodgy thing to be arguing over. I think in truth the death penalty has more to do with this....

Gen. 9:5,6 :5 And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal. And from each man, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of his fellow man.
6 "Whoever sheds the blood of man,

by man shall his blood be shed;

for in the image of God

has God made man.

I would go a step further....

There are tablets that pre-exist Genesis with the the Eye for an Eye concept.

It is hardly a concept that historically is attributed only to the jewish tradition.

Dreadsox said:
I would go a step further....

There are tablets that pre-exist Genesis with the the Eye for an Eye concept.

It is hardly a concept that historically is attributed only to the jewish tradition.

I will go a step back... to the question I asked.

What went into considering the death penalty as a means of punishment when it was introduced into our legal system? On what did the original states in their original constitutions base it?

Dread and BVS,

Are either of you two tired of going back and forth on this?

If so one of you start a new thread so we can argue I mean discuss something else, hehe. Just kidding actually.

I say this only because I read over a lot of the things we have posted from the past few days.I have come to the conclusion that is just impossible for me to have debates with people on an internet fourm (it's just I can't stoppppp ugh!!). Mostly because when I read over what I say and I think to myself, how does this sound to people? No one can possibly know the tone of my voice when they read the things I say.

Now on this thread I think we have been relatively level-headed. And no one has you know been insulting or anything of the like. But I dunno, I have just been thinking how I have come off in the past with you two and other people on different threads. I look at how annoyed I have gotten over things, and annoyed doesnt even cut it actually, I see how out and out angry I have gotten and then even worse reacted as such. I think to myself, "Geesh Carrie, you are an asshole."

Anyhoo, maybe I will give debating on internet forums a rest for a while. I was thinking about it a few days ago, but I just couldn't stay away. I truthfully don't see either side making any headway in this particular debate by the by. I will check back later today of course so as not to make you think I am slaggin you off. If there is something new on the thread I will reply. Otherwise, my towel is in the ring.

Take care,

Carrie

Back
Top Bottom