American Idol voting is Racist...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the fact that the three lowest vote totals were the three more talented african american singers

[Q]
Wednesday April 28, 04:18 AM

NEW YORK (Reuters) - British Rock star Elton John, a guest judge this month on the U.S. talent hunt TV series "American Idol," said on Tuesday that he found the voting by the national viewing audience "incredibly racist."

John, who heard the wannabe pop stars perform his songs during an appearance on the FOX TV show, added his voice to a chorus of dissent that followed last week's shock exit of black vocalist Jennifer Hudson, considered one of the top talents among those vying for a recording contract.

"The three people I was really impressed with, and they just happened to be black, young female singers, and they all seem to be landing in the bottom three," said John, commenting on the tally in which the lowest vote-getter is eliminated.[/Q]

http://au.news.yahoo.com/040427/11/oqwi.html

Well, I have no idea why that kid John, a talentless hack extraordinaire is still there. It baffles the mind.

But I don't think there is racism involved. I just think that the three girls were splitting the votes - that is, the demographic which enjoys the singing style (belting diva) probably could find something to like in all of them, and therefore they'd either split votes or assume they are safe since they are the best the show's got.

I admit it was an upset, but there are a lot of factors that go into this. What else was on TV that night, what's the demographic watching, do they split the vote, how many hometown supporters does everyone have...let's face it, it's not solely based on talent.

What pisses me off that the only one representing the pale white red headed population of this world(which I happen to fall into) sucks.

Last edited:
I love Elton John too....saqw Billy Joel and Elton two years ago with my bride.....

What does that have to do with anything?

Anitram....awesome take on it.

Dreadsox said:

michael moore? george bush?

I wouldn't trust either of them.

Moore would make a lousy president.

Bush would make a lousy film maker.

I am sure the are both lousy singers and would never win American Idol.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

What pisses me off that the only one representing the pale white red headed population of this world(which I happen to fall into) sucks.

:yikes:

iacrobat said:

I wouldn't trust either of them.

Moore would make a lousy president.

Bush would make a lousy film maker.

I am sure the are both lousy singers and would never win American Idol.

I was tempted for a split second to think it might have been race related but Jennifer Hudson herself believes it could have been due to the fact that people just assumed the 3 divas already had enough votes and didn't bother voting for them :shrug:

There was also a big power outage in Chicago (Jennifer's home town) on vote night...the show says it wouldn't have mattered but who knows.

I think John is a no talent joke who knows himself that he shouldn't be there but with him, you have the teenage girl vote...probably JPL lovers who have transfered their votes to John.

I do not think racism was involved, either. The big problem is in the way the voting's set up-it should be one vote per person. This whole thing of people being able to vote for two contestants, or one person being able to vote hundreds of times for their favorite, or things along that line, is ridiculous, because then it's not a fair representation of the vote. A person will stick around, not necessarily because they're good, but because one person voted over and over and over and over, and another person who was much better will leave because their fans only voted once...that's seriously messed up and unfair to the contestants.

And then of course there's other factors, too. I just talked to a girl at another board who said that the reason she was voting for John Stevens was because JPL left (she's also voting for Diana tonight, too). That's a really dumb reason to vote for someone, just like voting for someone simply because they're cute, or because they remind you of a person from the previous year's show, or whatever other reasons people use to vote aside from talent, is dumb.

Angela

Bono's American Wife said:

I think John is a no talent joke who knows himself that he shouldn't be there but with him, you have the teenage girl vote...probably JPL lovers who have transfered their votes to John.

I don't think he has the teenage girl vote at all. I think he has the 70+ grandma vote.

Jennifer's attitude sucked--I couldn't stand her. She should have been booted a long time ago. It's about a lot more than who has the most powerful voice, it's the whole package (I can't believe I said 'package' in relation to humans but that's how the corporate music machine operates :huh: )

I really think racism has nothing to do w/ it. I like Elton, but to throw accusations like that around is irresponsible in a certain way.
I think it's all about things like looks and personality over actual talent. Certainly all teenage girls and/or boys don't think like that, but if that's the majority of people voting, and they vote on things like that...God forbid the BEST SINGER should win :sigh: I would vote for the "ugliest" biggest jerk there :wink: if I thought they were the best singer . I happen to love "pale red heads", but John Stevens definitely doesn't have what it takes.

I don't think the talent this year can hold a candle to people like Ruben and Clay. If I had to pick the best singer this year, I might have to pick LaToya. I think George has a nice voice that w/ work could be even better-same for Jasmine.

I think that show is an interesting commentary on the music business..

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
God forbid the BEST SINGER should win :sigh: I would vote for the "ugliest" biggest jerk there :wink: if I thought they were the best singer .

Not me. I'd vote for the best performer and a lot goes into that other than a great voice. People vote for who they want to see more of and it's usually a blend of voice, personality, style, the whole thing and I don't see anything wrong with that. Most of my favorite performers are not necessarily the best singers although they can sing.

This topic is more of a comment on our society than about American Idol. Someone with name recognition uses the word "racist" and it becomes headline news.

I didn't say there was anything "wrong" w/ that joyfulgirl..I know what you're saying :) I was just trying to say that to vote solely on other things, if that's what is happening on that show, is wrong.

For me the blend starts w/ the voice, that's all :) Everyone has his/her own opinion on it, and that's great

Well I heard on the radio this morning this theory that perhaps John Stevens will go on to win it all so that enough people will complain and American Idol won't go on anymore and they won't invest all that money :shrug:

I don't think it's racism either.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

that issue is this... more people voted for the american idol finals than will vote for president come election day.

More people voted for Pop Idol (the British version of American Idol) than voted in our last general election too. :|

Back
Top Bottom