American Idol voting is Racist...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But some people have admitted to voting several times for their favorite. You can't do that in a political election;)

Ballot box stuffing is even easier and more common in internet polls. Remember the 2001 My VH-1 U2/Bon Jovi/Dave Matthews fiasco?? (I will tell the story if you don't)

Nothing against Bono of course, but I wonder if he'd have won the TIME Europe honor if it weren't for his legion of fans? We on PLEBA stuffed the ballot box and the some girls on Zootopia bragged about voting for him over 100 times each! He won by a large margin. Too bad for those other guys and dull politicians they weren't exciting rock stars with millions of adoring fans, many who are internet fanatics:shifty:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
Ballot box stuffing is even easier and more common in internet polls. Remember the 2001 My VH-1 U2/Bon Jovi/Dave Matthews fiasco?? (I will tell the story if you don't)

No, I don't. Please tell me.

DaveC said:

No, I don't. Please tell me.

Okay! All 3 of those bands were up against each other for most categories and the voting was online. While it was supposed to cookie you and not allow multiple voting, the Bon Jovi people found a program to stop that so all their people could keep on voting over and over. We had a guy here, KevM, who could do that too. People kept going, where's KevM, he can do it! Finally he showed up and gave us something to click on that would kill the site's cookie-ing and allow us to keep voting and stuffing the ballot box. U2 immediately went waaaay up in the lead in everything. Well the Bon Jovi-ists got suspicious and came here reading our forum (which is how I believe we found out they were doing it) well, they sent a link to the thread where our members were discussing it to VH-1 and got most if not all of U2's votes nullified. This pissed me off since they did it too, and first, and somebody should have found a way to rat them out too. So anyway, it turned out DMB won everything. I don't know if the Bon Jovi votes were also disqualified, or if the DMB fans also stuffed the ballot box.

It bothered me for U2 to think that their online community didn't come through for them, or that their fans didn't care enough to vote. When I was waiting in the Baltimore GA line and trying to meet them, if I had, I was going to tell them about this so they'd know they didn't really lose everything to DMB who suck. Of course I'm sure it bothered me more than them, but still, VH-1 had given them a big boost when ATYCLB came out, promoting them, having them on the show, having Bono open the 2000 awards by walking in, and I didn't want them to think nobody cared.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
forget racism... that's just stupid.

there is a much bigger issue that american idol has brought up... an issue that is both sad and disturbing.

that issue is this... more people voted for the american idol finals than will vote for president come election day.

This pisses me off too. :mad: :censored: :censored:

I'm thrilled that Fantasia won.......I was rooting for either Jennifer or La Toya but since they were voted off I was praying really hard that Fantasia would go all the way.

She has an amazing voice that clearly blew everyone away.

Btw - I wouldn't worry about Jennifer or La Toya, I have no doubt that we'll be hearing a lot more from them in the future. They were totally AWESOME.

As for the vote being racist.....maybe that might have been the case had Diana won - she's good too but nowhere NEAR the calibre of Jennifer, La Toya and Fantasia.

Personally, I'm very happy with the outcome.

Oh for fuck's sake hasn't this whole racist card been played before. Just 'cause people who were black were at the bottom has nothing to do with race but perhaps talent. People need to stop using race as an excuse otherwise we are never going to grow as people or as a society.

isabelle_guns said:
Oh for fuck's sake hasn't this whole racist card been played before. Just 'cause people who were black were at the bottom has nothing to do with race but perhaps talent. People need to stop using race as an excuse otherwise we are never going to grow as people or as a society.

But "American Idol" voting is not based on talent. It's the closest television equivalent to mob rule. But I tend to think that it might have less to do with racism than voter complacency, to a small degree, and the fact that the black female support vote was divided.

The entire show is utter crap anyway, since it clearly isn't about "talent" as much as "social identification." It should be of little shock that 16 year-old white girls tend to vote for....the 16 year-old white girl contestant, etc., irrespective of whether that contestant is good or not. Then there's the "cute boy" contestant quotient, where looks trump talent; after all, how do you think N-Sync and the Backstreet Boys succeeded all those years? Talent? :huh:

If anything, the talented people who got voted off should feel lucky. Any good record producer who believed in them will still believe in them, and the public pressure will be off of them to succeed. The winners, if anything, have only one place to go: downhill. They'll be as discarded as any other pop phenomenon in the past.

Melon

Last edited:
melon said:

how do you think N-Sync and the Backstreet Boys succeeded all those years? Talent? :huh:

C'mon!! BACKSTREET'S BACK!
Don't knock the boys!

Confession: I loved it every time that song came on in a club. I couldn't help it...guilty pleasure!

:reject:

Back
Top Bottom