American/Canadian Amity Eroding - But values are almost identical!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ medicare is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

i had emergency life-saving surgery when i was 19. i received excellent care and one thing my family did not have to worry about is how we were going to pay for the hefty medical bill.

how the us, the richest country in the world, gets away without providing free basic medical services to its citizens astounds me.

i found celluci's comments surprising given the general trending, according to these numbers, of american opinion away from stereotypically american perspectives and toward stereotypically canadian values, and not so much vice versa (i compare relative to stereotypes because the survey data did not provide a past study as a baseline).

and does this passage not disagree with much of the canadian rhetoric regarding our supposed 'mosaic' society and its acceptance of diverse cultures and peoples relative to the perceived american 'melting pot' organization in which conformity to a single national identity is quasi-obligatory?
i was surprised, at the very least, that the article did not recognize this.

People of different racial and cultural backgrounds would be better of if they became more like the majority.
_____________Agree Disagree
CANADA _______44% __52%
UNITED STATES __37%_ 59%

Sixty per cent of Americans now say that Britain is the United States' best friend, up from 56 per cent in 2002.
In spite of their flirtations with the EU, Britain has been a faithful ally that has never asked for anything in return.

Macfistowannabe said:
In spite of their flirtations with the EU, Britain has been a faithful ally that has never asked for anything in return.

nor has Britain gotten much from the current administration ...

dandy said:
how the us, the richest country in the world, gets away without providing free basic medical services to its citizens astounds me.

I agree. One reason my younger sister got married was because she didn't have health insurance and her boyfriend did. When they got married she got on his health insurance. Gosh, is my mother ever relieved. My sister had a real hassle with an ovarian cyst a few years ago, paying for have it removed was a pain.

Back
Top Bottom