America, your belly is too big - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:33 AM
mcdonalds isn't the problem. YOU are looking the problem straight in the face right this very moment. you're sitting down staring at a screen talking to people, where as 20-30 years ago you would've had to actually get up and WALK somewhere in order to talk to new people. why should kids go to the park and pretend to be michael jordan when they can throw in a disc and BE michael jordan...

video games have gotten so insane that people actually sit in front of their computer simulating a person sitting in front of a computer...

Old 06-10-2004, 05:48 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 06:33 AM
There was a time when being plump was a sign of affluence, now the opposite is true.

Old 06-10-2004, 06:34 PM   #18
New Yorker

http://www.motherjones.com/news/outf...05/04_400.html

The Congress already outlawed "frivolous" lawsuit about companies marketing unhealthy foods (thanks majority party).

Eating Away at Science

The Bush administration took an extraordinary step early this year to defend the interests of U.S. sugar producers and the packaged-food industry, both of which count top executives among the president's biggest fundraisers.

In January, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) sent a letter to the World Health Organization with dozens of objections to the scientific findings that underlie the WHO's effort to issue anti-obesity guidelines. Only eight months earlier, U.S. sugar manufacturers and other food industry groups had called for "the personal intervention" of HHS Secretary Tommy Thompson and urged him to challenge the WHO's scientific findings about obesityómost notably a dietary recommendation to limit consumption of sugar.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:57 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Why is it only the fat people who are deemed unworthy of health care because of lifestyle?
Not that I've seen this anywhere on the board, but I would say that smokers, alcoholics, drug users are all looked at a lot more harshly than obese people, who at this time are dying in greater numbers than smokers.

In "Supersize Me" there was a professor, I think, who was asking how is it socially acceptable to call a smoker disgusting and tell them they are killing themselves, but it's not socially acceptable to tell an overweight person that they are fat and to stay the hell away from dessert.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:24 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
There was a time when being plump was a sign of affluence, now the opposite is true.
Plumps okay, tis obese thats the problem.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:30 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Why is it only the fat people who are deemed unworthy of health care because of lifestyle?
Tisnt. My drivel that I wrote in the middle of the night (and I apologise for the way it was written) refers to smokers. I think obese people get off rather lightly on this matter.

Maybe if we had some kind of user pays health system that still permitted people who have genetic illnesses and accidental illnesses to receive health care but the people who drink, smoke, and eat themselves to death paid higher premiums, then watching obese people shovel a fist full of MacDonalds fries into their mouth may not be so revolting.

I dont like my taxes paying for these people. I would rather my money go to genetic and accidental illnesses.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:54 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:33 PM
Headache is on to something, but I think it goes further than that. Obesity in America isn't just about eating too much and exercising too little. It's about why are we eating too much and exercising too little. So many reasons, all working in a complex way that makes this problem hard to solve.

I think one of the main reasons (and there are others) is that Americans are overextended. Everyone's got too much to do and not enough time to do it. I know very few people who actually cook a healthy meal from scratch even once a week, let alone three times a day. Cooking a healthy meal from scratch, from buying all the groceries you need to washing dishes afterward, is a lot more time-consuming than just putting something in the microwave. And being overextended means you're too damn tired to exercise when you're done working overtime and taking your kids to five million activities and doing all the other things we feel obligated or pressured to do. All this leads to stress, which makes a lot of people turn to food for comfort. Or they become depressed, making them less likely to exercise and care about their health. One thing leads to another, and I see it all as being very complicated.

Other reasons include our consumer culture, our obsession with technology-based fun (i.e., sitting in front of the blue crack all day), the fact that so many of us sit at desks for 8 hours a day instead of doing physical labor...the list goes on and on.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:10 AM   #23
you are what you is

Local Time: 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
So many reasons, all working in a complex way that makes this problem hard to solve.
I agree, but I tend to thhink that the more difficult the problem the more important it becomes to start at least doing the things you actually can do

and taxing fattening food just like + for the same reasons as you tax cigarettes and alcohol would be something that can be done fairly simply (when you look past the fundraising bit)

food companies will react to this and increase their efforts to get us to eat more healthy when they feel the economic pressure to do so
‚ÄúSome scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.‚ÄĚ
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-11-2004, 07:26 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

I agree with Salome.

I also think the average Joe can still do a bit him/herself. There are less hours in the day to do things like shopping and cooking but people can still choose what they put in their mouths when purchasing takeaway meals.

eg

Coke vs juice
MacDonalds vs a purchased sandwich
Fries vs a side salad
Pizza Hut vs a local 'proper' pizza
Chocolate vs an apple

The exercise bit is more difficult. Incidental excercise is relatively easy to fit into your life
eg taking the stairs instead of the elevator, turning off the tv manually rather than via a remote control etc.

But if the excercise is still not enough to shift the weight than a change in diet is required. ie eat less.

One of the problems I see is that junk food is cheaper than healthier take away. A MacDonald meal set thingie with a burger, fries and a coke is cheaper than the cost of a Subway alone. And then you still need a water/juice.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:31 AM   #25
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:33 PM
i dont agree that junk food is cheaper. $20 will get you a dominos delivered with a pepsi and garlic bread, but you can cook a 3 course meal at home for that. if you know how to shop properly.
mcdonalds costs...i dont know how much for a burger + coke + fries, but a sandwhich is only about 3-4 bucks. mcdonalds cant be cheaper than that. or maybe it can.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:34 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I meant MacDonalds is cheaper as a takeaway.

Cooking your own meals is the cheapest but if people are purchasing takeaways then the crappy ones are the cheapest. You can get a whole lot of crap for $2.95 at MacDonalds.

Sorry if that didnt make sense the first time around, or in fact this time.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:04 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:33 AM
I think junk food/fast food is cheaper and easier than healthy food when you're single. I love salads, but never eat them because vegetables always go bad before I can eat all of them and the pre-packaged salads are expensive and also end up wilted before I've been able to finish them. Also, I can't cook to save my life, so I live on Pot Noodles, crisps, and chocolate.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:06 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:33 PM
I agree that there are lots of things individuals can do to take care of their own health, and there are most likely things the government can do to reverse the obesity trend. I know I said the problem is complex, but I didn't mean to imply that it is unsolvable. Personal responsibility in regard to this problem is an important factor.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:10 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:33 PM
Human beings are victims of choice.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:08 AM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 02:33 AM
I have to add to this thread by saying that a friend of mine was recently told that he is grossly obese by his doctor. He is over 6 feet tall and he weighs 200 pounds. I wouldn't call that grossly obese...yeah he has a bit of a belly but heck he still looks great. I think some people have gone bonkers with what they consider obese...but as a person that struggles with weight, yeah bad eating is definately a problem in the states. I think a lot of it has to do with the lifestyles most of us lead. I know that when I am working 80 hours per week and I only have 20 mins between going to clients' houses sometimes I only have time enough to grab a candy bar or some other such junk before I pass out from hunger.