America IS Safer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Birmingham has a very high murder rate, one of the highest of any U.S. city. It would be ridiculous to blame this on GWB, but conversely it'd be equally ludicrous to give him credit for a low crime rate. I don't think it has a damn thing to do with the occupant of the White House. It's a social thing.

Crime rate was on the rise when I was in the U.S.

I got robbed. I don´t give a flying fuck for 3% of reduction if they rob ME.

btw America is not safe at all with all those damn weapons around. I guess I should say thanks because you people didn´t smoke me or something.

But I am not allowed to hold one when I go to the U.S. by plane. I´m not allowed to buy one in the U.S. cause I´m not a citizen of the U.S. The police doesn´t protect tourists - at least they didn´t protect me.

Where´s my right to defend myself? I really liked Woody Allen´s approach in "Anything Goes". If I had moved around with a pumpgun, they wouldn´t have robbed me, right?

Yeah. That´s what the ghetto says. Get a gun and we don´t need ´em lawyers no more.

"All across our country, law-abiding Americans are enjoying unprecedented safety," Ashcroft said.

Murder was the only violent crime that increased in 2003, with the 16,503 slayings reported by police to the FBI representing a 1.7 percent hike from the year before.

_Nearly 71 percent of the 2003 murders involved use of a firearm,

Bush allows assalt weapons ban to expire

NRA endorses Bush

reasonable people request reprise appearance by Dick Cheney.
dick_cheney4_rnc_day3.jpg

"go f*** yourself"

Aside from yet another swipe at the current adminstration, what does your comment show?

With an assault weapons ban in place (2003), people were still committing murders with guns. This suggests that the root problem is not the assault weapon, but the motivations of the people who commit crimes.

Focus on the assault weapons all you want, you will continue to miss the core problems behind the crimes.

nbcrusader said:
This suggests that the root problem is not the assault weapon, but the motivations of the people who commit crimes.

Focus on the assault weapons all you want, you will continue to miss the core problems behind the crimes.

The root problem is that people who commit crimes can only do so because they got weapons in the first place.

Let´s face it, most of them are not intelligent enough to let their faith or their moral code guide their actions. Rather, they let the actions around them guide their motivations. That´s just a fact.

So while I agree that the motivation of criminals is a main cause, I don´t see any other way to reduce murder than to forbid the use of all weapons.

With all the people killed, it would be witty to have hunting sites for the hunters where they can lend a weapon for an afternoon, in a guarded environment, if they really need their cruel sport that much.

In reality, this is about something else. People just don´t want to let go of their weaponry because they feel cool and think its necessary.

The arms businesses will do their best to increase profit, so they will be happy about violent videos and computer games, lobby the senate, etc.

Ultimately, the more weapons there are, the more crimes are committed. It´s really that simple. Men is far too stupid to keep his gun in his pocket.

Back
Top Bottom