America appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I should re-phrase this so as to not antagonize my good American friends.
smile.gif

I don't HATE the American government...I'm just not very fond of the current administration, that's all.

Sorry, I should have made that clear earlier - it's not to say I hate the government as such....I was just well pissed off with Powell's remarks this morning, that's all.

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:
Moot point, I'm afraid.

Don't forget it was the "people" who brought about those democratic changes...whether France, United States, etc...

It's your own Moot Point I'm afraid.. Thank you for clearing yourself up, I'm not going to get into it all.. But I just wanted to make sure you didn't want to live under some other system of government.

L.Unplugged

Well, can I love the country, the people but hate the government???
That is EXACTLY what i am saying. And i DO indeed hate the government(generally speaking) though there are some exceptions, of course.
Also i dont know if i'd go so far as to say i love *most* of the people here. Just a great many of them.
smile.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 03-29-2002).]

Originally posted by Arun V:
I'm a product of the american educational system and even i know that

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 03-29-2002).]

Uh oh. I could do a so much with that remark...But all i'll just say is that that explains a lot!
tongue.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 03-29-2002).]

Oh yeah, me too (don't tell anyone!) but not being American, I can't get away with that comment!
tongue.gif

Agree.
smile.gif

America is indeed a great country. But as some others have said there are other countries that has just as much freedom, if not more, advancement in all the subject Diamond mentioned, technology, medicine and humanity, as America.

I can just see to my own country, Sweden that is, and say that we have alot of things that you can't get in America and it's also the other way around. It doesn't make it a greater country though, because there are no 'greatest' country. To get that we have to take pieces out of several different countries and mix and in the real life that's not possible.

But to speak about freedom as something unique for America kind of annoys me. As mentioned, some times I think I have more freedom here in Sweden then I can get in America. An example that came to mind when I went home from work last night, I can walk across the city alone as a girl in the middle of the night without fear. That's one kind of freedom for me. Another example of freedom is the access to the nature, which definatly is unique for the scandinavian countries.
Ok, that was something extra for you who wanted to know some stuff about Sweden.
smile.gif

So, yes I do think America is great and I have had marvelous times when I have been there and I am looking forward to my next visit, hopefully in August.
smile.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

Just for the record...we can keep our doors unlocked here at night where I live...and walk about freely at night without fear ...don't believe everything you see in the movies and on the news...not all of America is a hotbed of violence and fear. In fact I would say most of it isn't.

And I live practically next door to a beautiful wild national park...there are wilderness areas all over this country. Not all of us are urban prisoners.

But the idea that we somehow are the only country to have 'freedom' bothers me as well. Canadians are not 'free'? The British and the French are not 'free?" Sweden is not 'free'? If they are not 'free'...shouldn't we do something about it to make sure they are...like get rid of whoever it is that is oppressing them
biggrin.gif

The fact is..they are not under any kind of oppression...they have freedom...maybe not the same kind or in the same way we do...but they are free...
smile.gif

And that is a good thing.

dream wanderer

America rules! LONG LIVE AMERICA!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
!!

------------------
' I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name. . .'
.:. U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

Love is...cold steel/Fingers too numb to feel/Squeeze the handle/Blow out the candle
Love is blindness.../A little death/Without mourning/No call/And no warning...

[Thanks Coach P]

Yes.. God Bless America.

In an America Appreciation Thread, in the Spirit of our Country, I feel that our country is the protector of 'Freedom' for the rest of the world.. So if something were to happen to our country, our government, That would be the end of Freedom as many Blessed Countries Know it.

God Bless America
L.Unplugged

Originally posted by Lemonite:

In an America Appreciation Thread, in the Spirit of our Country, I feel that our country is the protector of 'Freedom' for the rest of the world.. So if something were to happen to our country, our government, That would be the end of Freedom as many Blessed Countries Know it.

God Bless America
L.Unplugged

Haha, gotta give Americans credit - they've got a great sense of humour!!!
smile.gif

Haha, gotta give Americans credit - they've got a great sense of humour!!!
smile.gif

(Insert Smiley face Here).. Ah Yes.. Well, Let's all Hope We don't have to find out.

God Bless America,
L.Unplugged

Of course it's not like that everywhere but I was talking about downtown a medium large city here, not my own neighbourhood.
smile.gif
I'm not just believing what I see on TV. I have been in America a few times and I know what people, americans, have been telling me about going out alone at night, and experienced myself. Shouldn't I at least believe and trust what they are telling me?

And when I'm talking about access to nature, you have to come here to know what I mean. I'm not talking about areas, nationalparks, where you can walk freely on paths or put up a tent at a camp and light a fire at required(word?) fireplaces.

In Sweden you are allowed to do it wherever you want as long as you are not intruding someones privacy. You are allowed to put up a tent on private land, go swimming wherever you want, private water, light a fire as long as it's not dangerous, hiking, riding, cycling, boating wherever you want.
It's called, with a roughly translation, public access with responsbility. So it pretty much means that you have free access everywhere as long as you don't intrude privacy which means the closest area around the house and as long as you don't destroy the land or crops.
This access is something unique, you can just go to Germany and you no longer can't do all the tings above. If interested go and read here.
redface.gif
) http://www.internat.environ.se/index.php3?main=/documents/nature/engalle/allemeng.htm

And I don't think our freedom is any different from yours. As mentioned, in some ways I think we have even more freedom, just like americans, in some ways have more freedom then we. Everything has to do what the government some time during the years have found important.
smile.gif

Ok, some more info about Sweden. Sorry for that, in this america thread. Just for the record, I still think America is great, but not the greatest.... neither is Sweden.
smile.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

Originally posted by MissZooropa:
Of course it's not like that everywhere but I was talking about downtown a medium large city here, not my own neighbourhood.
smile.gif
I'm not just believing what I see on TV. I have been in America a few times and I know what people, americans, have been telling me about going out alone at night, and experienced myself. Shouldn't I at least believe and trust what they are telling me?

You can trust me if you ever visit here
smile.gif

I like the idea of being able to camp anywhere as long as you are responsible. It used to be like that here...

dream wanderer

Thanks!
smile.gif
I'll keep it in mind if I'll be around.

And I promise to take you out camping if you happen to pass Sweden.
smile.gif

I think it's interesting that in an american appreciation thread, people feel the need to criticize us for loving our country. Near as I can tell, the title of this thread isn't "Do you love america?" So all I can say is that if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it. Why would you bother posting in this thread if you didn't have something nice to say? Jealous? Insecure? You love your country? Great!! Why not start a Canada appreciation thread, or Australia, or whatever country you are from. That would be the appropriate thing to do.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

Originally posted by zooropa16:
I think it's interesting that in an american appreciation thread, people feel the need to criticize us for loving our country. Near as I can tell, the title of this thread isn't "Do you love america?" So all I can say is that if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it. Why would you bother posting in this thread if you didn't have something nice to say? Jealous? Insecure? You love your country? Great!! Why not start a Canada appreciation thread, or Australia, or whatever country you are from. That would be the appropriate thing to do.

well said

and ladywiththespinninghead..touche..nice zing lol

Originally posted by Lemonite:
I posted up a 'Bubba Appreciation' Thread, and it was torn down to the sewers

oh, don't you remember? you made it clear that an appreciation thread for a person isn't allowed on interference forums. i seem to remember a time when i made such a thread and you negatively mentioned it about ten, twelve years later...

------------------
in august moon's surrender to a dust cloud on the rise...
ME! all day, every day!
"...a poptart in pants..." -- elizabeth

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
oh, don't you remember? you made it clear that an appreciation thread for a person isn't allowed on interference forums. i seem to remember a time when i made such a thread and you negatively mentioned it about ten, twelve years later...

Of course... You must not have read my disclaimer, or 'Purpose' of starting such a thread.. Anyways.. It cleared up any such words above.. However it is now gone, as the humor and genius (Hahaha.) of the Thread was not fully realized.. such Wasted Potential... Hahah, Ah Well..

God Bless America,
L.Unplugged

Thank you America;

For your fast-food joints, MacDonald's especially.

Thank you for some of the best poets and literary geniuses the World entire has ever known; thank you for Edgar Allan Poe, Tennessee Williams, Arthur Miller and thank you for Woody Allen.
smile.gif
Thank you for HOLLYWOOD, and the countless geniuses, cinematic and other artistic phenomenoms derived thereof; thank you for Scorcese, Altman, Lumet, Ephron, Eastwood, Wells, Wilder,Redford, Coppola, Lucas, Spielberg, Burton, Riener, Demme, Taymor, Kubrick, Brooks, Goldman, Nicholson, De Niro, Washington, Poitier, Brando, Pacino (Oh God... THANK YOU for the Godfather movies), Streep, Close, Hunt, Foster and countless of other talented actresses and actors; thank you for the entire plethora of talent.

Thank you for Marilyn Monroe.

Thank you for Star Trek, for Gene Roddenberry and the culture behind that. Thanks for Star Wars, Citizen Kane and most of the best movies and artistic experiences ever created. Thank you for Pollock and Andy Warhol.. thank you for some of the world's largest voices against oprression; Martin Luther King in particular.

Thank you for Thanksgivings Day, and Independence Day. Thank you for your shows; The Simpsons, Happy Days and the entourage of timeless sitcoms associated with America. Thanks for the idea of the 'sitcom'! Thank you for your beautiful landscapes; mountain ranges, lakes, volcanoes, forests and deserts.. thank you for Las Vegas. Thank you for Westerns; cowboys and Indians, thank you for the dynamism of the American President.

Thank you for being the country and Nation that you are.

Ant.

Originally posted by Salome:
Originally posted by zooropa16:
Near as I can tell, the title of this thread isn't "Do you love america?"
near as I can tell this forum was meant for discussion

Meaning what? I assume you missed the point of the rest of my post. Maybe you were to busy shaking it.
tongue.gif

------------------

Zooropa FTP

[This message has been edited by zooropa16 (edited 04-01-2002).]

hehe, sorry
I just deleted my own post when you posted yours because I felt I was somewhat out of line (at least since I am a mod in here)

and my shaking is top priority

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
hehe, sorry
I just deleted my own post when you posted yours because I felt I was somewhat out of line (at least since I am a mod in here)

and my shaking is top priority

Shake it, shake it, shake it!!!!!!

------------------

Zooropa FTP

Originally posted by zonelistener:
I am so proud to be American, I am off to shop at the
Mall of America

zoney, I'm afraid I may have to disown you. No good Minnesotan actually SHOPS there!!!
wink.gif
tongue.gif

It's a beautiful day here outside.. I'm just checking the leaderboard at the Masters and Norman is playing well.. I'm getting ready to Go Play Basketball to get Ready for the Bookstore Tournament.. I've got Rush on the Radio.. and I've got plans tonight for a BBQ Dinner, and Some Clubbing as only one can do at college... Mmm... $1.00 Drinks...

I Love America.

L.Unplugged

Back
Top Bottom