Amazing! A baby survives being born at 22 weeks. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 12:52 AM
Amazing! A baby survives being born at 22 weeks.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/02/20/D8NDJ0O00.html
Quote:
MIAMI (AP) -- A premature baby who doctors said spent less time in the womb than any other surviving infant will remain in a hospital a few extra days as a precaution, officials said Tuesday.
Amillia Sonja Taylor, born Oct. 24 after just under 22 weeks in the womb, had been expected to be sent home Tuesday.



Barbara Moore, spokeswoman for Baptist Children's Hospital, said she did not have details on why doctors changed their minds about releasing the infant.

Doctors say Amillia is the first baby known to have survived after a gestation of fewer than 23 weeks. She was just 9 1/2 inches long and weighed less than 10 ounces when she was delivered by Caesarean section. Full-term births come after 37 to 40 weeks.

Amillia, the first child for Eddie and Sonja Taylor of Homestead, now weighs 4 1/2 pounds.

She has suffered respiratory and digestive problems, as well as a mild brain hemorrhage, but doctors believe the health concerns will not have major long-term effects.

"Her prognosis is excellent," said Dr. Paul Fassbach, who has cared for Amillia since her second day.

Amillia was conceived in vitro and has been in an incubator since birth. She will continue to receive a small amount of supplemental oxygen even after she goes home.
__________________

__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 02:52 AM
Wow! My mom's friend had twins smaller than this, but they did not survive Best of luck to her.
__________________

__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 12:52 AM
Well, I'm guessing the baby deserves "human" status now that it was born. Weird, a few minutes before someone could have have sucked it right out the womb limb for limb and it would've been perfectly fine according to many people here.

...Unless of course, the mother can still walk over and smother the baby with her pillow because the baby still can't survive alone.

What strange times we live in.
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 02:52 AM
^ i saw this coming and that's why i'm glad you're posting again, AEON. the threads are going to be more fun.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
^ i saw this coming and that's why i'm glad you're posting again, AEON. the threads are going to be more fun.
Thanks. I did notice it was a bit quiet.

I didn't want you crazy liberals running around claiming victory
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
Well, I'm guessing the baby deserves "human" status now that it was born. Weird, a few minutes before someone could have have sucked it right out the womb limb for limb and it would've been perfectly fine according to many people here.

Was that really neccessary?

I think this is an amazing story, and must be brilliant for the parents who must have thought when the baby was born so young that it didn't have a change of survival.
__________________
pgv is offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by partygirlvox


Was that really neccessary?

I think this is an amazing story, and must be brilliant for the parents who must have thought when the baby was born so young that it didn't have a change of survival.
God works in Mysterious Ways.
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 02:52 AM
AEON's on to something though, whether he phrased it correctly or not. This certainly raises questions.

I'm happy for the parents.
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by partygirlvox


Was that really neccessary?

I think this is an amazing story, and must be brilliant for the parents who must have thought when the baby was born so young that it didn't have a change of survival.
I agree, it is an amazing, beautiful story. I wish there were more of them.
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #10
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
AEON's on to something though, whether he phrased it correctly or not. This certainly raises questions.

I'm happy for the parents.
But could that baby have survived at 22 weeks without being heavily aided by doctors and living off machines for months?
The answer is no, and it's lucky that is has survived at all, so I don't think it puts whether abortion is right or not into question at all.
__________________
pgv is offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 03:29 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by partygirlvox


But could that baby have survived at 21 weeks without being heavily aided by doctors and living off machines for months?
The answer is no, and it's lucky that is has survived at all, so I don't think it puts whether abortion is right or not into question at all.
It's not the fact that it's "lucky" that determines whether abortion is right or wrong, it's the fact that a baby can survive at 22 weeks. It's something worth considering in the debate, don't you think?
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #12
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen


It's not the fact that it's "lucky" that determines whether abortion is right or wrong, it's the fact that a baby can survive at 22 weeks. It's something worth considering in the debate, don't you think?
The point I'm trying to make is it is mainly down to luck that this baby survived at 22 weeks, and there haven't been any other cases of such a thing happening.
Yes I think its open to debate.. I just think alot of people are going to take this story as an example why abortion should not be allowed, when really its such a rare event.
__________________
pgv is offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 02:52 AM
I see what you're saying, but because it's the first time does that mean it should be treated as a rare event? Or should it now be seen as a real possibility that is only going to have greater odds as medicine advances? Certainly that's how this was able to happen in the first place.

Also, if the doctors did all they could to save it, then there must've been something worth saving. It sounds harsh maybe, but I guess I don't see the equality in this baby being saved at 22 weeks and another being aborted at 22 weeks just because it wasn't the right time for it or it caused stress in someone's life. That doesn't seem fair or just to me. There's a real poverty there. It saddens me.
That's just me though.
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 04:32 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
I see what you're saying, but because it's the first time does that mean it should be treated as a rare event? Or should it now be seen as a real possibility that is only going to have greater odds as medicine advances? Certainly that's how this was able to happen in the first place.

Also, if the doctors did all they could to save it, then there must've been something worth saving. It sounds harsh maybe, but I guess I don't see the equality in this baby being saved at 22 weeks and another being aborted at 22 weeks just because it wasn't the right time for it or it caused stress in someone's life. That doesn't seem fair or just to me. There's a real poverty there. It saddens me.
That's just me though.
No, it's not just you.
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by partygirlvox


The point I'm trying to make is it is mainly down to luck that this baby survived at 22 weeks, and there haven't been any other cases of such a thing happening.
There are other cases, but often times the babies do die eventually. But it doesn't mean the only worthwhile cases are the ones that survive. Take for example my mom's friend. As I said earlier, her twins never developed and were born severely premature, earlier and smaller than this baby. They lived a few days. Then, she got pregnant again and found out again that this baby had defects. Her doctors insisted she abort but she refused. The baby was born anacephalic, meaning it did not have a brain. Again the doctors recommended she not see it and insisted it would die immediately. Again she said no and took her baby. Amazingly, she took her home and the baby lived for over a month without a developed brain. Yes, she died in the end, but she was still their child for that short time and they would not have had it any other way. They do not regret not aborting the baby.

They don't have to survive to adulthood to be loved and adored.

And I'm not using this to make a case one way or the other for abortion, I'm just saying there are plenty of "lucky" babies out there and families who feel lucky to have had them, even for a short while.
__________________

__________________
Liesje is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com