Amazing! A baby survives being born at 22 weeks. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:04 PM
That's a great post, Liesje. Great point. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:01 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

I wasn't aware of the fact that women were routinely aborting at 22 weeks. I believe you'll find most people in the pro-choice crowd are not in favour of abortion past the first trimester save for medical situations, so a lot of AEON's rhetoric is just that - rhetoric using an extreme example.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I personally don't know the stats, but I'm sure there are still many who do at that point in the pregnancy and even later. Don't you?
Old 02-20-2007, 06:42 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

I am loathe to quote Fox News, but the first thing that popped up was:

Quote:
Of the 1.6 million abortions performed in the U.S. each year, 91 percent are performed during the first trimester (12 or fewer weeks' gestation); 9 percent are performed in the second trimester (24 or fewer weeks' gestation); and only about 100 are performed in the third trimester (more than 24 weeks' gestation), approximately .01 percent of all abortions performed.
So we're talking about 9% of all abortions between 12-24 weeks. Given that only 0.1% occur over 24 weeks, the logical conclusion is that the # between 22-24 is similarly low. And of that very low number, what proportion is performed for purely medical reasons (whether health of the mother or things like anencephaly of the fetus)?
Old 02-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I see that your making a point that there are fewer abortions taking place later in the pregnancy, but I guess I don't understand why you're making this point. There are still abortions taking place at 22 weeks and even later, and to me, that's sad. I'm glad the number is lower later in pregnancies, but there's still a number. I guess that's what I'm saying. The number can go lower.

The number of abortions during the first trimester is just as sad to me, too.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

I think she's also making the point that many of the later abortions are for medical reasons, not birth control. You can't test or see certain defects early on. For example, the person I was talking about earlier was told to have an abortion b/c her baby was not growing a brain. She said no, but others say yes.

I don't like abortion either, but I think there are differences between birth control/not wanting a baby for whatever reason and intentionally getting pregnant but being told the baby cannot survive and going full term only puts the mother at risk.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:04 PM
But let me ask this. If there is complications for the baby, but no risk to the mother. Are we now chosing the perfect baby?
Old 02-20-2007, 07:12 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I am loathe to quote Fox News, but the first thing that popped up was:

So we're talking about 9% of all abortions between 12-24 weeks. Given that only 0.1% occur over 24 weeks, the logical conclusion is that the # between 22-24 is similarly low. And of that very low number, what proportion is performed for purely medical reasons (whether health of the mother or things like anencephaly of the fetus)?
According to these numbers, the baby that was born 22 weeks old would fit into the 9% range. So we are talking about 100,000 babies of similar age being sucked piece by piece out of the wombs every year in America alone.

Even if the number were only a thousand, or a hundred, is this still a matter of a right to privacy?

And if medicine advances to the point where they can save an 8 week old baby, should it not have the right to live?
Old 02-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
But let me ask this. If there is complications for the baby, but no risk to the mother. Are we now chosing the perfect baby?
Justin, childbirth is very invasive and is *always* risky for the mother. If you are told that your baby will not survive (pending technology for a total brain transplant), continuing on with the pregnancy IS an unnecessary risk for the mother.

I'm not saying I would chose to abort, even given the risk, but many do because the risk is always there.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I know there are risks but I am saying if there was no risk but the child was born with defects but it is found early, Do we now get to chose, kind of like playing god?
Old 02-20-2007, 07:22 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

There is never no risk, and it's not playing God because the child is already brain dead and will die within days. God has already made his choice. Playing God would be aborting a child with Downs Syndrome - something that many people can have and still get an education, live apart from parents, and hold jobs.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

i was born at 24 weeks gestation. i spent one month in an incubator after my mom gave birth. she fought like hell to keep me alive. im grateful to her for that. i believe all babies should have a right to live.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:51 PM   #28
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
If there are complications for the baby, then aren't we deciding whether it is humane or not whether to give life to a human being which will only suffer for the possibly short time it exists?

I also don't refer to it as a baby under about 22 weeks, as it isn't at an age where it can survive outside its mothers womb and therefore not a human being yet in my opinion.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #29
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:04 AM
edit: double post
Old 02-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:04 PM
...and in the not too distant future it will be 21 weeks, and then 20, and then...