Am I the only one who can't stand hardcore feminists? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2004, 02:11 PM   #46
War Child

Local Time: 11:04 AM
The first thing I thought of at the men-more-level-headed comment was Bono and all the PM women...

Old 10-23-2004, 02:20 PM   #47
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
I guess, after looking over this thread, shart, the short answer to your question is

yes, you are the only one

neutral @ interference.com
Old 10-23-2004, 09:32 PM   #48
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Ja.

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:49 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:04 AM
Shart...

I appreciate another person holding a door for me, as opposed to letting it slam in my face, whether they be a man or a woman. Likewise, I will hold a door for whoever is behind me, man or woman. It's common courtesy.

I agree that some feminists go overboard, take offense too easily, etc...Can't this be said for any group or movement?

But I do take some offense when you imply that women are simply better at cooking, child-rearing, and "serving," while men are more "level-headed." It's culture and society that have bound women to such roles...not that there is any problem with a woman who decides to work part-time, or be a stay-at-home mom if they can afford it. My mom worked full-time when I was a kid, as did my dad, but I know they BOTH would have loved to spend more time with us, and they BOTH did an excellent job raising us.

As far as the "level-headed" comment, I know you've already taken some shit for that, BUT:

I believe there has actually been research done to suggest women have a better grasp of their emotions than men, in general. Anger, at least.

But then you get into the whole Nature vs. Nuture thing. Where I grew up, most of the girls did fit your typical girly-girl, cry a lot, not so smart stereotype. IT'S HOW THEY WERE RAISED. Their mothers taught them to be that way; their fathers taught them to be that way. The problem we face now is that, while society (theoretically) allows women to hold the same positions as men, our ingrained culture doesn't encourage it, in some cases, or provide the base for it. If you put a city slicker man and a guy raised on the farm in Wyoming or wherever in the middle of the wilderness, chances are the city slicker will have a harder time making it, and will be more likely to "break down" or cry. Now, say a child of two of your typical "city slickers" and a child of two farmers were switched at the hospital. Do you think the kid born to city slickers but raised "tough" in the country will be more adapted to the situation, despite his genes? Most likely.

I'm really sorry for the confusing metaphor, but it's the best thing I could think of to relate nature vs. nuture...The point remains that a woman raised to be "inferior" will act accordingly. A girl raised by parents who respect her and never try to force any roles or responsibilities on her because she is female will typically not fit those stereotypes.

Yeah, men are physically stronger than women. But we're past the Industrial Age and into the Information Age. Physical strength is increasingly less important, and will continue to decrease in relevance. If there are any women who are upset or in denial over this simple fact, that men have testosterone while women have estrogen, they are delusional and need to get a grip on reality.

I agree with whoever it was that wondered when "feminism" became a dirty word. I'm an independant woman, I'm an intelligent person, I would love to find a soulmate, but I'm currently single, and have no insecurity problems over it. I play guitar, I'm interested in politics, I love kids and can't wait to be a mother, I was a competitive and dedicated athlete as a teenager and continue to work out, I earned some of the highest grades in my school, and I like to cook. Not very good at it, but I have some fun with a from-scratch recipe every once and a while...even though I mostly resort to Break and Bake! As a kid, both my parents could and did cook, whenever the other one was busy (same with the groceries and laundry), but my dad was the big chef...he made the best chile!

If this makes me a "feminist," well, so be it.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:51 PM   #50
She's the One

Local Time: 08:04 AM
Why does shart's profile say "girl"?
Old 10-24-2004, 09:27 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Why does shart's profile say "girl"?
PMS envy?
Old 10-24-2004, 11:20 PM   #52
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

PMS envy?
Is that possible?!
Old 10-25-2004, 06:06 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

PMS envy?
That's masochism if I ever heard it. Ugh, I can't imagine wanting this .
Old 10-25-2004, 07:29 AM   #54
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:04 AM
Hi Everyone,

I think Shart, what you need to decide is why are these "hardcore feminists" making you feel so uncomfortable? If you feel that in your relationship it is equal and so does your partner, then who cares what anyone else thinks? It is really important that both men and women are allowed to be who they want to be, not who they think they have to be as a result of a lot of sterotyping that goes on in this world.

Personally, I have been brought up to believe that men and women can do whatever they want - but that doesn't mean that you have to act like an idiot or not take into consideration other peoples feelings and it doesn't mean that people should be treated like door mats.

I also work in a very male dominated area. I am only one of two people in Western Australia who do my job. Most of the people I work with are men and most of them would do as you do re opening doors, carrying things etc. I know they don't do it because I'm the "little woman". I definitely appreciate what they do, and sometimes their manner can determine which project I will complete. Who wants to go out of their way for someone who is a complete d*#khead?

I think what you might be hearing from the girlies is that we don't need to be closetted and treated like an object, nor do we want to. BUT, if you are doing things to help make each others life easier out of love and respect then that is a totally different category altogether. Motive is a big factor.

Just my 2 cents.

(Now back to your regularly scheduled program....)
Old 10-25-2004, 09:23 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tania

I think what you might be hearing from the girlies is that we don't need to be closetted and treated like an object, nor do we want to. BUT, if you are doing things to help make each others life easier out of love and respect then that is a totally different category altogether. Motive is a big factor.

you nailed it, tania. well said.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:30 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

I think people tend to reject extremists in any form.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:08 AM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I think people tend to reject extremists in any form.
hope you are right

we will find out on nov. 2 with red state count
Old 10-25-2004, 11:16 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

And reject extreme flip flopping
Old 10-26-2004, 02:33 AM   #59
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:04 AM
Sand shoe, Dandy

(Now back to your regularly scheduled program....)
Old 10-26-2004, 06:59 AM   #60
Refugee

Local Time: 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Felicity
Hey, shart, to paraphrase Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets...

Sell ignorant, clueless, reactionary, misogynist bullshit someplace else--we're all stocked up here.

Best post in this thread, fel says it all!