Am I the only one who can't stand hardcore feminists? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2004, 10:16 PM   #16
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:18 PM
sorry indigo, my reply was to shart's above on the women in his dad's workplace lol, not you

Old 10-16-2004, 10:22 PM   #17
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 03:18 AM
Re: Re: Re: Am I the only one who can't stand hardcore feminists?

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

I believe it's true. My dad owns a business and employs alot of females and I've seen how much harder it is for them to cope with stress. Alot of times he'll have to send them home because they cn't containtheir emotions and it's getting in the way of their work. He tells me this all the time as well.

Just one example.
In 18 years of being employed, I have yet to have a meltdown at work.

I currently own and run a business with my husband. Ask him who gets more upset when we have a crisis. Sorry but the example you used above isn't going to fly with me.

Old 10-16-2004, 11:07 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:18 AM
Hey ladies, I say strap little shart down and cut his balls off! I hear Bonosloveslave is pretty good at the neutering!
Old 10-17-2004, 03:07 AM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 12:18 PM
Re: Re: Am I the only one who can't stand hardcore feminists?

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

I don´t believe in the modern version of light-cooked career feminism. I´m all for the same wages, but when women try to make career in a career system that was built up by men, they are just accepting the facts of this system. When a woman is a manager in a business, she will make the same, arguably sometimes even harder, decisions than men in the same position would make. I do not think that this is valuing women´s qualities, I think it´s purely adjusting to a male system. Women should build up their own career system!

An extreme example is Maggie Thatcher, I don´t see it a real triumph for English feminism that she got Prime Minister.

Brilliant hiphop.

As a side note, have you read any Wendell Berry? He makes this very argument.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:19 AM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 03:18 AM
I consider myself a feminist, and I don't think I'm annoying.
I believe in educating myself, working my own full load, bringing in my car to the shop, carrying my own groceries, etc.
AND I DON'T MIND when men pull out chairs, open doors, anything like that.
I am an intelligent, talented, and independent woman, and men should not fear me. I can make it on my own if men don't like me, but they just seem to adore me!
I am not insecure, and if a man at my workplace is making more than me, I do not question it, and I do not make equality an issue.
What we have here on earth equals nothing in heaven.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:47 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:18 AM
I agree with alot of the stuff that has been posted, especially Angie's. Don't tell us not to be housewives. Don't tell us we have to do stuff to be a "real woman" or whatever. Childbearing is not for every woman. Sometimes medical conditions make childbearing unadvisable. Chivalry dates from the Middle Ages, when a nobleman was expected to treat (aristocratic) women with extra courtesy. That doesn't make modern chivalry sexist or classist.. It's nice. I like it. It's considerate and I appreciate it.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:32 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:18 AM
I don't agree at all that "most men are more level headed than women" That is an unfair generalization. Like saying most men aren't in touch w/ their emotions or something to that effect, perhaps?

I hold doors for men all the time, because it's the polite thing to do. Some look at me like I have two heads when I do that. And I appreciate the courtesy of having a door held for me. It's just common courtesy, regardless of gender.

And that what I ask for-respect me, don't treat me as if I'm in any way inferior to you because I'm a woman, don't make sexist derogatory comments, in general don't pull chauvinist crap on me.

Much of feminism is and was necessary or women would still be suffering today in certain areas due to inequality. I'm for women having ALL the options to CHOOSE what we want to do.

The differences between men and women are interesting and fun, but we all need to be treated equally under the law, and w/ equal respect.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:10 AM   #23
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:18 AM
Re: Re: Am I the only one who can't stand hardcore feminists?

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

. I do not think that this is valuing women´s qualities, I think it´s purely adjusting to a male system. Women should build up their own career system!

By the way, shart, maybe you can read up on feminism too if you think it´s "hardcore" what you´re talking about.

What's that button I used have say? Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

SD
Old 10-17-2004, 10:16 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

When I say "most women" I mean exactly that. Most. Not all. There's always exceptions. Alot of women are more level headed than men when it comes to stress but I'd say usually men are more level headed from my experience.

Yes, men and women generally have different mental strenghts but of course there's alot of exceptions.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:02 AM   #25
The Fly

All I have to say is, I like a man who is considerate and has manners. There is nothing wrong with opening doors and pulling out chairs for women and I think it shows class.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:09 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheltie
All I have to say is, I like a man who is considerate and has manners. There is nothing wrong with opening doors and pulling out chairs for women and I think it shows class.
I agree. I'm pretty old-fashioned when it comes to manners. I suppose it is the Southern girl in me.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:19 PM   #27
Babyface

Hey, shart, to paraphrase Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets...

Sell ignorant, clueless, reactionary, misogynist bullshit someplace else--we're all stocked up here.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:08 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Felicity
Hey, shart, to paraphrase Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets...

Sell ignorant, clueless, reactionary, misogynist bullshit someplace else--we're all stocked up here.
It's true my friend.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:38 PM   #29
New Yorker

BAW

Right On! I've worked in male dominated business' for years and believe me you have to grow a thick skin and cojones to make it. I had to supervise 8 guys in the warehouse & do production schedules. It took a while to earn their respect and being cool under pressure is one way.
I also bake, like doors held open by men or women to be polite, but can be an assertive female course then you are a b***h)) as needed.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:57 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

To paraphrase Bono who in turn took this quote originally from a feminist---"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle".

It's true in some aspects...in this day and age woman don't NEED men to be their protectors/providers...but we enjoy their company for company's own sake.