All in the Family

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have cable, so I haven't seen it in ages. But it is amazing just what issues they were willing to tackle. And it did look a lot like many families at that time, which was what made it so good. It's humour did make people (at least some) see some of the very same flaws in themselves, and maybe consider altering their views.

Great show, when i had satellite I'd watch it all the time.

I remember one time at work a couple years ago, this guy who was I guess 22 or so at the time was bitching and bitching about how sexist, racist and everythign the show was and couldn't comprehend why I would like it. He was a big time liberal and everything....I just always thought it was hillarious how he "hated" the show that pushed and probably helped the change for rights back in the 70's.

he probably didn't get that the bigotry in it was, as indra said, pointing out the flaws in society. i can understand that if people take it seriously it would seem like a horrible show, but most people get it and realize how wonderful it was/is.

yeah I tried to convince him to watch it and get the ironies and everything out of it, but he refused lol. Archie Bunker was just great...even a stubborn seeminly ignorant old man could change with the times.

U2democrat said:
I love this show. I think it's a great social commentary from the time. It's absolutely hilarious with a message. What do y'all think of it?

I think it is a social commentary still today.

The Jefferson Episodes are classic.

I watched the show a lot when it first aired in the 70s. I was a little kid and some of it went over my head, of course. I've caught it in reruns and I laugh at how timeless it is. Politics can really polarize a family and cause a great deal of arguments, but at least this show had the guts to show how families can really be.

That's one thing I hate about sitcoms these days. As much as they try, none of them are like real families. All in the Family dealt with very real situations, however. It was bold and daring, but funny at the same time.

Great show. I don't really like how they make christians and conservatives look stupid, but still hilarious.

The reason we can't have shows like that today is because some people are so friggin politically incorrect that they can't take a joke without tears.

MrsSpringsteen said:
One of the most powerful episodes was the one in which Edith was raped.

I forgot about that episode. That was something.

I am old enough to have watched it with my parents when it aired originally :reject: and it was great how we could all laugh at ourselves. I was, and am, the only liberal in my family and it was amazing how much it reflected the division in my own family even though we were worlds apart from the Bunkers.

Edith wasn't actually raped, just attacked - she fought him off.

Back
Top Bottom