alcohol on sunday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
is this sinful? what's God & Jesus' official stance on this? (I remember being surprised when moving to the DC/Virginia area that liquor is not sold on sunday... though you can still purchase plenty of beer or wine and get bombed that way, or just buy your liquor on saturday or go to a bar)

also, do "morality laws" such as this defeat the purpose? people are not abstaining because they believe in it, but because they have no choice

----------
love is blindness, I don't want to see

I just talked to God, and She demurred on the subject; Jesus seems to think it's all right as long as you share some of your cheap red wine with a bum outside your church.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

I don't get it, everybody imbibes alcohol when they supposedly drink the blood of Christ anyway, I don't see what the controversy is.

If you're a Christian with your own set of ideals and moralities, you should stick to them everyday, not just on Holy Sunday.

Ant.

If drinking on Sunday is a sin, I'm going to hell.

BTW, would this count if you're drinking Saturday night into early Sunday morning? I've done that one a lot too.

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
is this sinful? what's God & Jesus' official stance on this? (I remember being surprised when moving to the DC/Virginia area that liquor is not sold on sunday... though you can still purchase plenty of beer or wine and get bombed that way, or just buy your liquor on saturday or go to a bar)

also, do "morality laws" such as this defeat the purpose? people are not abstaining because they believe in it, but because they have no choice

----------

Silly Puritan laws.

I think Puritans drank plenty of beer the rest of the week, they just thought drinking on Sunday was wrong. I don't know of any other denomination that holds this view, though.

I actually cannot believe this question is even being asked. But, that said, let's leave God out of it just this once, maybe.

I really don't think it rates that high on the list. Sunday is only God's day if you regard it, and treat it, as such. For the non-Christians out there, it's just another day. End of story.

I don't think that drinking alcohol on any day of the week is necessarily wrong. I don't drink - that's a personal decision, partially based on alcoholism in my family. But, according to the Bible, getting drunk is wrong (on any day of the week).

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
But, according to the Bible, getting drunk is wrong (on any day of the week).

Hmmm....

I don't remember that part of the Bible.

------------------

I have no clue what the offical stance is but alcohol is not sold until after Noon on Sundays where I'm from. This was to keep people from drinking and then going to church or Mass if you're Catholic.

Originally posted by The Wanderer:

----------

A-ha , sha-la-la

Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car

Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car

Sunday , Monday , Tuesday , Wednesday , Thursday , Saturday's alright

Daddy's GONNA pAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yyyyyyyyyyyyaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Sunday , Monday , Tuesday , Wednesday , Thursday , friday , Saturday's alright
Daddy's GONNA PAY!!!!!!!!!!

Sunday , Monday , Tuesday , Wednesday , Thursday , Friday , Saturday's alright ..

Originally posted by mikal:
Hmmm....

Ephesians 5:18, RSV: "And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery; but be filled with the Spirit."

You can read the whole chapter in a number of different versions at http://www.gospelcom.net/bible

Originally posted by speedracer:
Ephesians 5:18, RSV: "And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery; but be filled with the Spirit."

You can read the whole chapter in a number of different versions at http://www.gospelcom.net/bible

hmmm....yep, I'm definitely going to hell folks.

------------------

Well, if you gave yourself a concussion and forgot you read this thread, maybe you can be forgiven.
tongue.gif

Hmmm....

There's a really amazing description of drunkenness in Proverbs, I think it is. Pretty graphic.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

Proverbs 23:31-35:

Do not gaze at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it goes down smoothly!

In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper.

Your eyes will see strange sights and your mind imagine confusing things.

You will be like one sleeping on the high seas, lying on top of the rigging.

"They hit me," you will say, "but I'm not hurt! They beat me, but I don't feel it! When will I wake up so I can find another drink?"

Also let us not forget the counsel of the Bard:

MACDUFF.
Was it so late, friend, ere you went to bed,
That you do lie so late?

PORTER.
Faith, sir, we were carousing till the second cock: and drink, sir, is a great provoker of three things.

MACDUFF.
What three things does drink especially provoke?

PORTER.
Marry, sir, nose-painting, sleep, and urine. Lechery, sir, it provokes and unprovokes; it provokes the desire, but it takes away the performance: therefore much drink may be said to be an equivocator with lechery: it makes him, and it mars him; it sets him on, and it takes him off; it persuades him, and
disheartens him; makes him stand to, and not stand to: in conclusion, equivocates him in a sleep, and giving him the lie, leaves him.

You and me both! But that's OK--I don't believe in hell as a place, just as a state of mind.

wink.gif

------------------
You will believe in me
And I can never be ignored

Back
Top Bottom