Alarm Mounts for 3 Mil. Left Homeless in Pakistan as Winter Closes In - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2005, 05:05 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:09 AM
I'll also add that Mercy Corps, via the www.thechildhealthsite.org is also participating in relief. You can do your Christmas shopping AND send relief.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:09 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:09 AM
thanks for the links. I hate to think these people will be forgotten this winter.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:27 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:09 AM
Thanks for the links.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:37 PM   #19
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:09 PM
thank you for this, yolland.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:57 PM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 12:09 PM
In Sweden TV4 will have a show in cooperation with the red cross to raise money for the victims in Pakistan today, Monday at 9PM.
There is a link on their main page www tv4.se to a site where they explain how you can donate money.
They say 40 swedish crowners (about 5 US dollars) is the worth of one blanket, and 180 (about 22 US dollars) that of some sort of heater.
That's not a whole lot of money to us, I intend to give what I can, and I encourage other swedes to do the same tonight. We were incredibly generous after the tsunami, and I know there were lots of us who lost loved ones in that catastrophe, but that showed that we have the will to give, atleast. Let's do it again.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:47 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:09 AM
money donations should be avoided

as it can ( WILL) be used for terrorist purposes.

instead of blanket, bombs will be bought.

those bombs will be used in srinagar
Old 11-07-2005, 03:36 AM   #22
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:09 AM
Care to elaborate on which of the links posted is for a known terrorist proxy? Four of the five links I posted (Red Cross, UN Refugee Agency, UNICEF, Disasters UK) are major international aid organizations, which many of us also donated tsunami funds to. The fifth (KIRF) is a British charity of longstanding acclaim and the largest international NGO active in the region, historically devoted to building clinics and hospitals and to organizing vocational schooling for women. All five organizations have their own independent aid workers on the ground in the affected area as we speak.

Or perhaps you know of something sinister about Swedish TV4 or the Mercy Corps?
Old 11-07-2005, 05:01 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Pakistan occupied kashmir is a haven for terrorists and terrorist camps.

These money are most likely to end up in the hands of groups like Laskar-e-Toiba and such terrorists organisation. I bet Sweden will be safer if the terrorist kill innocent civilians here.

Do you know that more than 80000 people have been killed by these terrorists in last 10 years.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:06 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

well established secular charity groups are okay ( if we know that they dont give monetry assistance to local terrorist groups)... but one should where his or her donation is going..

safe donations could be medicines, blankets, tents, durable food and such stuff...anything but cash

"Three pro-militant charities—banned by the US—use quake aid to revive themselves

AMIR MIR

| e-mail | one page format | feedback: send - read |

From the rubble of the earthquake have risen proscribed Islamic charity groups, providing relief to a devastated people and riding the tide of gratitude to bolster their image.

Three such groups—Al-Rashid Trust, Al-Akhtar Trust and the Ummah Tameer-e-Nau—had been declared as terrorist support organisations by the United States; and their bank

The Proscribed Ones

accounts frozen by the Pakistan government. But within weeks of the October 8 quake, amid an all-round collapse of the administration, the three Islamic charities have resurrected themselves through humanitarian operations.

No longer are the activities of these charities clandestine, nor are their activists shadowy figures engaged in social welfare. In Azad Kashmir (Pakistan-occupied Kashmir for Indian readers), they have opened relief camps with banners proudly proclaiming their names. Indeed, immediately after the quake, these charities launched a massive media campaign, asking people to donate lavishly. Their volunteers claimed that Islam requires every Muslim to contribute to charity, or zakat (a mandatory 2.5 per cent every Muslim has to pay on their annual savings every year), which is aimed at supporting those striving to promote the cause of Allah.

The response to the appeal was prompt and massive, both in and outside Pakistan: millions of rupees have poured in, and their dozen camps in Kashmir now brim over with relief material. In several remote areas, such as in Balakot and Batgram districts, the volunteers of these charities and other pro-militancy groups have taken a lead over the army in providing succour to the people.

But their dubious past still lurks behind their humanitarian measures in Kashmir. Always flush with funds, these charities had been earlier accused of funnelling donations worth billions to militant groups. American counter-terrorism experts based in Pakistan say Muslim charity organisations have been one of the major sources of funds for Pakistani militants. The advantage arises from the difficulty law enforcement agencies encounter in determining whether the donation is actually being utilised for the originally specified purpose, or diverted to bankroll dubious activities. After US intelligence agencies unravelled that the World Trade Center bombings were financed via funds from a Muslim charity organisation—Alkifah Refugee Center in Brooklyn, New York—they turned the spotlight on Islamic charities worldwide. Their scrutiny resulted in the closure of Al-Rashid Trust, Al-Akhtar Trust and the Ummah Tameer-e-Nau in Pakistan.

The latest activities of these charities have sparked fears of a reforging of ties between Islamic charities and militants. Their symbiotic relationship could empower both. Leading political analyst Dr Hassan Askari Rizvi says both militants and Islamic charities have not only won public sympathy but have also received massive donations. "While their popularity and influence keep soaring, the Musharraf regime appears directionless," Rizvi told Outlook.

In the backdrop of the devastating earthquake, the government perhaps is hamstrung in preventing the proscribed charities from reaching out to people. President Pervez Musharraf said so to a TV channel: "I know that some extremist outfits are participating in relief activities in the quake-affected areas. Their activities are being watched closely.... (But) I am not going to prevent anyone from helping the people." Federal relief commissioner Maj Gen Farooq Ahmed said on October 20, "The government cannot stop anyone from participating in relief activities "
Old 11-07-2005, 02:33 PM   #25
The Fly

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Well, as I wrote in my post, swedish TV4 is doing this show in cooperation with the Red Cross, which I would say is a well established secular charity group, so I still intend to give money.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:09 AM
Unfortunately, this thread should be locked because of the links to charitable groups.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:03 PM   #27
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
well established secular charity groups are okay ( if we know that they dont give monetry assistance to local terrorist groups)... but one should where his or her donation is going..

safe donations could be medicines, blankets, tents, durable food and such stuff...anything but cash
You are crying wolf when there's not one to be found in this thread.

And well established secular charity groups were all that was posted here. You can visit their websites if you are concerned--UNICEF (where I made mine) deals primarily with children. They are not going to hand out the money to a local Islamic group, they are going to use it to buy the food, clothing and shelter that Pakistan's children need.

I'm sure we would all love to send material items, but the organization of those kinds of efforts is massive. They are far less likely to reach their destination, and may fall into the wrong hands. Organizations like the Red Cross and UNICEF are better equipped and prepared, which is why they prefer monetary donations.

I think this is a reason MANY are not contributing, because somehow they will be supporting terrorism. It's becoming a great excuse to ignore a massive humanitarian problem.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:23 AM   #28
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:09 AM
Just thought those concerned would enjoy a bit of good news.

BBC: Quake Aid Now Exceeds Target

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4451514.stm
Old 11-19-2005, 12:26 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:09 AM
Why is this thread still open? Threads about charitable agencies violate Interference policy.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:13 PM   #30
Refugee

As I mentioned before regarding this subject, I was not the only one sitting back and watching and taking notes.............the word got around and so has the money and aid. Thanks for the link Sherry Darling.

The sad part about this earthquake was President Musharraf's comment that "Children are the main victims because they happened to be in the school at the time. The major brunt of the casualties has been taken by the children. They say a full generation has been lost."