Al Roker Hates People With Epilepsy - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:25 AM
Al Roker Hates People With Epilepsy

Quote:

"I, for one, am really tired of the diatribes, the “humor” at others’ expense, the cruelty that passes for “funny”. Don Imus isn’t the only one doing this, but today he’s the one in the hot seat..."

"What he said was vile and disgusting..."

"The “I’m a good person who said a bad thing” apology doesn’t cut it..."

"The general manager of Cartoon Network resigned after a publicity stunt went wrong and caused a panic in Boston. He did the right thing. Don Imus should do the right thing and resign. Not talk about taking a two-week suspension with dignity. I don’t think Don Imus gets it..."

"Citing “context within a comedy show” is not an excuse..."

"CBS Radio and NBC News needs to remove Don Imus from the airwaves. That is what needs to happen. Otherwise, it just looks like profits and ratings rule over decency and justice..."

-Al Roker's own words

http://allday.msnbc.msn.com/archive/...10/116906.aspx
Joker Roker: 'Sorry'
by Michael Starr, New York Post

June 9, 2007 -- AL Roker apologized yesterday for joking about epileptic seizures on Thursday's "Today" show.

"Remember that controversial Olympic logo for the 2012 Olympics in London? Some folks have complained that the campaign actually sent them into epileptic seizures," Roker said on Thursday's show.

"Well, we asked you to weigh in on our Web site in an informal poll; those of you who could get up off the floor after shaking around were able to actually log in . . . "

Yesterday, Roker said he was sorry.

"I started joking about it. I want to make this clear - I was not joking about epilepsy or anyone who suffers from epilepsy," he said at around 8:04 a.m. while he was delivering a weather report from Milwaukee.

"We understand and know that this is a serious affliction and would never joke about that.

"We were joking about the logo - not about epilepsy. If anybody was offended, I heartily and really humbly apologize."

"Today's" poll showed that 80 percent of viewers thought the logo was inappropriate.

http://media.putfile.com/Al-Roker-Jo...the-TODAY-show

----------------------------------------------

I, for one, am really tired of the diatribes, the “humor” at others’ expense, the cruelty that passes for “funny”. Al Roker isn’t the only one doing this, but today he’s the one in the hot seat...

What he said was vile and disgusting...

The “I’m a good person who said a bad thing” apology doesn’t cut it...

The general manager of Cartoon Network resigned after a publicity stunt went wrong and caused a panic in Boston. He did the right thing. Al Roker should do the right thing and resign. Not talk about taking a two-week suspension with dignity. I don’t think Al Roker gets it...

Citing “context within a comedy show” is not an excuse...

NBC News needs to remove Al Roker from the airwaves. That is what needs to happen. Otherwise, it just looks like profits and ratings rule over decency and justice...

Old 06-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:25 AM
What's wrong with the logo?

Old 06-11-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
War Child

There is an issue of context, the severity of the issue, and the question of a pattern of behavior. I'm not sure that firing Al Roker would be anything more than an overreaction.

Don Imus, on the other hand, had a pattern of offensive comments, whereupon he finally said one too many offensive things and got canned. Now I'm also aware that Imus had a contract that encouraged him to say offensive things and claimed that a warning was required before terminating him. He's now suing CBS over this, and, frankly, I'll let the courts decide on that.

I question the popular wisdom of expecting everyone who makes a public mistake should get very publicly fired. I certainly think that there are instances where firing is appropriate, but we have to remember that, particularly in the media, where you are under constant pressure to tell jokes and entertain, slip ups will happen. It should, as such, come down to issues of severity and whether there's a pattern of offensive behavior, IMO.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
War Child

That's got to be one of the dumbest thread titles in recent memory...
Old 06-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

key difference... don imus was doing his job, as explained in his contract. he was doing what he was payed to do.

listen.. i don't believe al roker should be fired. he made a joke... he should be allowed to make his joke. many will find his joke extremely offensive... to them, i say get over it. it's all funny till it hits too close to home, and then it becomes offensive.

i wouldn't even care about what roker said if not for the fact that, in his own words, he said that comedy that he is tired of humor that is cruel and at someone else's expense, and then he goes a month later and makes a joke that can be deemed as being cruel and at someone else's expense.

either everything is okay, or noting's okay. the second you start making lines over what's okay and what's not okay, then that's it... it's over. it's exactly what happened to laverne and shirley.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by kimby
That's got to be one of the dumbest thread titles in recent memory...
thank you.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #7
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
either everything is okay, or noting's okay. the second you start making lines over what's okay and what's not okay, then that's it... it's over. it's exactly what happened to laverne and shirley.
But this isn't a science. If a manager canned every employee who made a slip up, then he'd probably bleed all of his talent. A good manager makes decisions based on the written corporate rules and also based on the context of the specific incident. And perhaps CBS wouldn't have fired Don Imus ordinarily, but when the public outcry is that extraordinarily loud, then you start having to care about your bottom line--which trumps all other considerations within corporate culture.

And perhaps Al Roker isn't the most eloquent person when it comes to public diatribes, like that one regarding Don Imus. I'll agree with that; celebrities aren't exactly known for being the brightest of individuals. But, then again, it certainly isn't a requirement to be a celebrity.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

thank you.
Your welcome.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

here's the thing...

don't get up and preach on your soap box (and what a sturdy soap box it must have been) and then not expect to be held to the exact same standard that you, yourself, set forward.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ormus
There is an issue of context, the severity of the issue, and the question of a pattern of behavior.
Exactly.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:23 AM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
"Citing “context within a comedy show” is not an excuse..."
if Al, himself, doesn't believe context should be an issue, why should we?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #12
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:25 AM
He apologised for this: "those of you who could get up off the floor after shaking around"?

Seems a bit ridiculous.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:27 AM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Al has made a whole career on being wrong, he's a weatherman for goodness sake.

You can't trust what a weatherman says.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 06-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Storm in a teacup.