Al Roker Hates People With Epilepsy - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:02 AM
Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson

got one of ours

now it's our turn

to take out one on their team.

"catch em by the toe

and make em pay."

Old 06-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:02 AM
get off yourself

it has nothing to do with "their" team

race

nothing

it has to do with being held to the same standard that you set forth yourself

thanks though for your broad assumptions

who's the one who's really seeing color here?

'preciate it

Old 06-11-2007, 06:26 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

and on second thought... it's not even about that. like i said, in no way do i think al roker should be fired. in fact, i chuckled when i heard what he said. it's a joke. all jokes are offensive to someone.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #19
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LJT
He apologised for this: "those of you who could get up off the floor after shaking around"?

Seems a bit ridiculous.
Yeah. I'm pretty confident that if anyone said that in Australia or NZ, there may be a few half-hearted chuckles of "that was a lame attempt at a joke" and then everyone would swiftly forget about it. They certainly wouldn't be having a discussion about it!

I honestly don't even see how it's an offensive comment, and it certainly doesn't require outrage or an apology. Although I don't have epilepsy, I have a number of other medical conditions and an equivalent joke would not offend me in the slightest - in fact, I'd probably make such a joke about myself!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-12-2007, 02:00 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
here's the thing...

don't get up and preach on your soap box (and what a sturdy soap box it must have been)
Just what do you mean by that?
See how easy it is?
(being the devils advocate here)

You didn't mean a thing about that, right.
but yet it was derogatory. and funny. and demeaning.
I watch comedians all the time and laugh my ass off, but some things aren't to be said in everyday situations, or should they?
Hence the controversy.
Where does the line draw? when you say it or when someone else says it? and are all insults ok?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:05 AM   #21
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Yeah. I'm pretty confident that if anyone said that in Australia or NZ, there may be a few half-hearted chuckles of "that was a lame attempt at a joke" and then everyone would swiftly forget about it. They certainly wouldn't be having a discussion about it!

I honestly don't even see how it's an offensive comment, and it certainly doesn't require outrage or an apology. Although I don't have epilepsy, I have a number of other medical conditions and an equivalent joke would not offend me in the slightest - in fact, I'd probably make such a joke about myself!
Something like Little Britain (is it shown anywhere in the states? and if so is it heavily edited at all?) or Jonathan Ross were shown in the US...some people would have a field day...I generally enjoy it when American guests discover they can actually swear on TV.

Just question to the American folk here....are Americans in general more sensitive to these types of thing? Or is it the watchdogs for TV and radio just out of control and too draconian?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:32 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:02 AM
^ Honestly I think a lot of Americans get a kick out of seeing somebody screw up. When somebody says something on radio/TV that's a bit "questionable", as in possibly offensive, people here love to point it out. It's kind of like catching somebody with their fly down, or with food in their teeth...we just have to laugh at their slip-up.

That's not to say that the things people sometimes say aren't truly offensive to some, or that it's always OK to say them, or that if anyone is offended by someone's comments that they need to just "get over it". I just think our current culture is obsessed with that kind of thing.

I think a lot of folk here are missing Headache's point, which I think is that Al Roker is a hypocrite. He is of course, and it's fair to point it out...but it's also fair to point out that one questionable comment by Roker doesn't equate to a history of offensive remarks by Imus.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by sue4u2

Just what do you mean by that?
See how easy it is?
(being the devils advocate here)

You didn't mean a thing about that, right.
but yet it was derogatory. and funny. and demeaning.
I watch comedians all the time and laugh my ass off, but some things aren't to be said in everyday situations, or should they?
Hence the controversy.
Where does the line draw? when you say it or when someone else says it? and are all insults ok?
i think you might be missing my point... i was being ironical. i in no way think al roker should be fired. he made a joke... a joke that could (and i'm sure in some cases did) offend a group of people. a joke that was mean, demeaning and at the expense of someone else... even after al roker himself jumped up and down over the imus thing, and pretty much lead the internal NBC revolt that ultimately brought upon WNBC's pulling of the plug. he said in his own words that he is "tired" of jokes at other people's expense.. and then he makes one. and ya know what? i could care less. it was funny.

other than knock knock jokes and chicken crossing the road jokes, the majority of humor is at someone else's expense. there are different types of humor... some humor is more crude, dark, edgey than others. when we start drawing the line over what is okay to make fun of and what isn't we enter into a very dangerous area. one group complains that they're being made fun of... an episode gets pulled, a person gets fired. then another group complains... hey, you did it for them, why not us? ok... pull that episode, too. fire that guy. before you know it, there's no one left to fire. there are no shows left to show. it's exactly what happened to laverne and shirley.

he offended someone... fire him! that thing is no good for you... ban it! that music is degrading, that video game is too violent... ban, ban, ban! that book can corrupt young minds... burn it!

am i overstating things? probably... are we at risk of turning into the future as shown in Demolition Man anytime soon, where everything that is deemed bad for you is illegal and you need to wipe your butt with the three seashells? no... but when you start drawing lines over what's okay to make fun of and what isn't, you're tip toeing on a very slippery slope.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Most human beings are hypocrites as far as not holding themselves to the same standard that they hold other people and being so eager to point out others' flaws and ignoring their own. So we could point out such situations to infinity

And Al Roker isn't even a real weatherman, he's a talking head just reading someone else's forecast. So maybe we should go after him for that too...
Old 06-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #25
Babyface

Local Time: 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LJT

Something like Little Britain (is it shown anywhere in the states? and if so is it heavily edited at all?) or Jonathan Ross were shown in the US...some people would have a field day...I generally enjoy it when American guests discover they can actually swear on TV.

Just question to the American folk here....are Americans in general more sensitive to these types of thing? Or is it the watchdogs for TV and radio just out of control and too draconian?
Political correctness and litigiousness are the 2 evils at work here.

Imus's job was to offend, he did it for years, now he gets canned ? Roker makes a joke in marginal taste (by TV standards) and we're supposed to cry foul ? Ridiculous in both cases
Old 06-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #26
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Fuck Al Roker.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:35 AM   #27
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LJT
I hate to think what would happen if something like The Chaser's War On Everything were shown in the States. It'd make for some damn funny news stories, though. For example ... in response to the "so where the bloody hell are ya?" Aussie tourism campaign, The Chaser gave us "Australia, it shits all over everywhere else" and "fuck, Australia's fucking great so why the fuck aren't you here motherfucker?"

Yeah, The Chaser's more worthwhile than some non-controversy being stirred up by people who'd be offended by almost anything you care to name.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog