Al-Qaeda is back?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Deep,

"I do not have a corner on "the truth""

"I am sure I believe some things that may not be correct. I am always trying to gather more information to help me have a better understanding of important complicated issues."

"Below is information regarding my previous post."

"You seem to be unaware of this bit of history."

The articles you posted would only be relevant if I had made the claim that no one on the Jewish side had ever engaged in any action that could be construed as terrorism. I never said that.

What I had said before was that terrorism was not successful in furthering one's goals. Nothing in the articles or anything that you have said demonstrates that Israely independence was in any way made more possible by this single action. If anything, it may have helped to put it in jeopardy.

It is interesting to note that despite the "terrorist" action was against a military target and that they warned of the attack prior to when it happened. Not to say anything to support the action at all, but this is certainly different from the terrorism that we see from the Palestinians and Al Quada. In those terrorist actions, civilians and only civilians are the target. The military is in fact avoided. The Suicide bombers never make any attempt to warn anyone of their attack.

It's not the lower level guys I'm talking about as such, and I'm well aware that it's not a standard 'war' that will have a defining 'winning' moment.

What I mean is the millions and millions of people who are not terrorists, just regular citizens of the Middle East, Africa, Asia etc who think they see a problem and think that someone like Osama Bin Laden is the answer to that problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it would really help the cause if you could get Bin Laden's argument (or whoever) to be falling on deaf ears. At the moment they're all for it. There are reasons why he gets the support he gets.

People said the war in Iraq would breed more al Qaeda support and I think they are turning out to be right. Think about it: you're pretty sure you don't like the U.S. after the war and become REALLY sure when your poor family can get millions if you blow up a car bomb. What would you do?

TylerDurden,

Considering how small the number of attacks by Al Quada has been since 9/11, it does not look like Bin Ladin has massive support at all. If that were the case, there would have been 10 times or 100 times as many attacks. Most of what Al Quada has done since 9/11 has been carried out by a very small number of people.

Also, the USA and Pakistan have been very successful in catching Al Quada members in Pakistan and Afghanistan. This would not be possible if support for Al Quada was really as strong as you claim it to be. Most people in the middle east are intelligent enough to realize that Bin Ladin is a radical idiot.

Sharky,

"People said the war in Iraq would breed more al Qaeda support and I think they are turning out to be right. Think about it: you're pretty sure you don't like the U.S. after the war and become REALLY sure when your poor family can get millions if you blow up a car bomb. What would you do?"

Based on the number and size of attacks launched by Al Quada, if anything, the war in Iraq could be seen as reducing support for Al Quada. Honestyl though, I don't see the two as being related.

STING2 said:
Based on the number and size of attacks launched by Al Quada, if anything, the war in Iraq could be seen as reducing support for Al Quada. Honestyl though, I don't see the two as being related.

Before the Sept. 11 bombing, hundreds of people died in two bombings in Africa. And look what happened after that.

Within the last year [as we started to debate and then go to Iraq], there have been bombings in Yemen and Bali. The bombing in Bali killed hundreds of people -- just because it wasn't as big as Sept. 11 does not mean that it wasn't an issue.

In the last week, we've have bombings in Morocco and Saudi Arabia that killed almost 100 people. Are you saying you don't care about these bombings because they only killed 100 people?

I don't want to say this, but I'm afraid these smaller bombings are just a run up to another larger attack. Then what? These smaller bombings are not to show reduced support for al Qaeda. They are to remind us that al Qaeda is still around and the worse could be yet to come.

AARRGGHHHH!!! A suicide bombing in Ankara, the capital of Turkey! The Turkish police report that there were some small bombings in Istanbul by some far left outfit that were a protest against the U.S. war in Iraq. Now a bomber has hit a cafe in a busy part of Ankara. I don't know the particulars of the attack except that the Turks say it's the same group. Damn. Madness is breaking out all over. :mad: :mad: :censored: :censored: :scream: :scream:

Sharky,

"Before the Sept. 11 bombing, hundreds of people died in two bombings in Africa. And look what happened after that."

"Within the last year [as we started to debate and then go to Iraq], there have been bombings in Yemen and Bali. The bombing in Bali killed hundreds of people -- just because it wasn't as big as Sept. 11 does not mean that it wasn't an issue."

"In the last week, we've have bombings in Morocco and Saudi Arabia that killed almost 100 people. Are you saying you don't care about these bombings because they only killed 100 people?"

"I don't want to say this, but I'm afraid these smaller bombings are just a run up to another larger attack. Then what? These smaller bombings are not to show reduced support for al Qaeda. They are to remind us that al Qaeda is still around and the worse could be yet to come"

People have been losing their lives in terrorist bombings since bombs were first invented. Its terrible, but we need to put things into context. The rate of terrorist actions since 9/11 is actually less than it has been in different periods of time before 9/11. The number of attacks that Al Quada has launched is small and the damage done rather small for an organization that is supposed to have such outstanding capability, organization and global reach.

The reason that Al Quada has been crippled is the fine work of are Men and Women in the armed forces and intelligence services. They have done an amazing job of rolling up an organization that spends much of its time hiding behind women and childern.

The world is a big place and its hard to have security everywhere at everytime. Terrorism we have seen can come from anyone. Its four years ago since the Columbine shootings. The childern that committed that terrible act were not living in a state of poverty.

Again, the best one can do with acts of crime and terrorism is manage them. One can only say they are winning the war on crime, drugs or winning the war on terrorism, because they are successfully managing it, not because they have stopped it 100%.

Again, the best one can do with acts of crime and terrorism is manage them. One can only say they are winning the war on crime, drugs or winning the war on terrorism, because they are successfully managing it, not because they have stopped it 100%.

A lot of people have accused the Administation of "managing the terrorism".

I am surprised you agree with them.

I personally wouldn't know the number of people killed by terrorism prior to 9/11 but terrorism certainly didn't start on that hellish day. It hasn't stopped. Thank God no one was killed in the attack in Turkey. One person was injured and the cafe building was pretty screwed up. They've had many terrorist attacks and killings in Turkey and other countries. I think it's safe to say that we still have a terrorist problem and most likely we can't completely wipe out terrorism. We can only do our best to fight it, and not let the terrorists win.

Deep,

"A lot of people have accused the Administation of "managing the terrorism"."

"I am surprised you agree with them."

Accusing the president of managing the terrorism? As if thats a bad thing? Only if your apart of the Anarchy/Chaos party would one think that managing terrorism and crime would be a bad thing. Failing to manage the problem only allows it to grow and expand.

Back
Top Bottom