Al-Qaeda has/had dirty bomb. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2003, 11:16 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:59 PM
Al-Qaeda has/had dirty bomb.

Al-Qaeda 'was making dirty bomb'

Government says its evidence proves dirty bomb threat

By Frank Gardner
BBC security correspondent

British officials have presented evidence which they claim shows that al-Qaeda had been trying to assemble radioactive material to build a so-called dirty bomb.
They have shown the BBC previously undisclosed material backing up their claim.

It includes secret intelligence from agents sent by Britain into al-Qaeda training camps in Afghanistan.

Posing as recruits, they blended in and reported back.

SAS officer inspects a deserted Afghan camp

They revealed that Osama Bin Laden's weapons programme was further on than anyone thought.

British officials said on Thursday Bin Laden now had gained the expertise and possibly the materials to build a crude radioactive bomb.

The government says evidence suggests that by 1999, Bin Laden's priority was to develop a weapon of mass destruction.

He had acquired radioactive isotopes from the Taleban to do this, officials said, adding that development work on the "dirty bomb" had been going on in a nuclear laboratory in the Afghan city of Herat.

Evidence 'credible'

The government even has al-Qaeda training manuals which detail how to use a dirty bomb to maximum effect.

For a second opinion, the BBC showed some of the material to an expert on al-Qaeda.

"I think this is genuine," said Dr Mustafa Alani, of the Royal United Service Institute.

"It is credible. This is proof that al-Qaeda put a lot of effort into collecting information and educating other members of the organisation.

"It is possible to produce this sort of weapon."

British military personnel worked with intelligence officers to gather material which was taken to Porton Down defence research centre in Wiltshire.

Their conclusion was that al-Qaeda had a small dirty bomb but probably not a full blown nuclear device.

"From nuclear weapons the threat is very, very slim," said Gary Samore, a former US National Security Council member.

Al-Qaeda has built a lab in Herat
To create one, he said, al-Qaeda would have needed to obtain weapons grade nuclear material - a difficult prospect.

"On the other hand, the threat of a dirty bomb or radiological bomb, is much more plausible," he added.

British officials say the "bomb" has never been recovered but at least one leading al-Qaeda weapons expert from Herat is still at large.

Why the British government would release such top secret information has been questioned by some commentators in the Arabic world.

Abdel Bari Atwan, the editor of Al Quds al Arabi, said it was an attempt to revive fears in Britain and the US about 11 September.

"They would like to prove their point that there are links between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda," he said.

Old 01-31-2003, 12:42 AM   #2
Bordering Purgatory

Local Time: 06:59 PM
that is frightening, to say the least.

i will make you hurt
Old 01-31-2003, 06:27 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

What is frightening, is one story on this has the Brittish making this announcement back in November, but they changed their minds.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:46 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:59 AM
yeah, there's NO WAY they would use biological weapons if given the chance.........

there's NO WAY saddam has kept any of his biological weapons around........

there's also NO WAY saddam would give them any if given the chance................

there is NO POSSIBLE connection to these completely unrelated, unimportant, underwhelming events.

everyone please go back to bashing the united states; nothing to see here.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:04 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 05:59 PM
Maybe i read this too quick but does this make any reference to Iraq?

Maybe you should go to trying to defend the US at all costs!

Man some people are so angry!
Old 01-31-2003, 09:10 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Re: Al-Qaeda has/had dirty bomb.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Why the British government would release such top secret information has been questioned by some commentators in the Arabic world.

Abdel Bari Atwan, the editor of Al Quds al Arabi, said it was an attempt to revive fears in Britain and the US about 11 September.

"They would like to prove their point that there are links between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda," he said.
bonoman, there's the reference to Saddam Hussein.

If this story checks out...then where did al-Qaeda obtain the necessary materials and expertise to build such a device? Was it just the Taliban that helped them out, or were there others? Since I'm not a bomb-making expert, I'll leave it at that.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:03 AM   #7
Babyface

Local Time: 04:59 AM
a. ha ha, their bombs are dirty.

b. our bombs are smart.

c. we're smarty pants.

d. they're dirty pants.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:27 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Al-Qaeda has/had dirty bomb.

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

bonoman, there's the reference to Saddam Hussein.

If this story checks out...then where did al-Qaeda obtain the necessary materials and expertise to build such a device? Was it just the Taliban that helped them out, or were there others? Since I'm not a bomb-making expert, I'll leave it at that.
Well, I think this is the important issue is where did they get the radioactive isotopes to make the bomb. Allegedly according to the British, the Taliban helped them make it, it was a little after-school project they worked on together.

My list of suspects in order of greatest to least.....

1) Pakistan
2) Russia
3) Iran (I believe they have reactors yes? no?)
4) North Korea
Old 02-01-2003, 12:59 PM   #9
Refugee

Jeez, would someone check the Nostrodomos quatrains, I think this is the Purple King moving in to the New World. Arizona just expanded across the Midwest, or maybe to the Heartland?

Eeek, a mouse! and where is that Rat? i mean Brat, Osama??

where are the Irish when you really have a big piece of metal roped off in Texas, the northern area...very close to Oklahoma, that. And where is the Kansas City Architecture Comittee? obviously everything there is FLAT

call out to St. Louis? any golden arches NOW??

and that reminds me, the National Women's counsel should really look into that abortion issue, huh?

thank you, we'll all meet soon in Cleveland, charge (it) he he.

See ya!
Old 02-01-2003, 01:34 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Old 02-01-2003, 03:21 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:59 AM
Re: Re: Re: Al-Qaeda has/had dirty bomb.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
1) Pakistan
2) Russia
3) Iran (I believe they have reactors yes? no?)
4) North Korea
Hmm, IMO, you can move North Korea higher up the list. They'll do everything for money (hey, that sounds a bit capitalistic!). North Korea also has biological and chemical weapons and they'll probably also sell those to everyone who wants to pay.

It great to see what some countries/groups will do for money (sigh...)

C ya!

Marty