Al-Qaeda captures two American soldiers - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:26 AM
Al-Qaeda captures two American soldiers

[q]Al Qaeda says has abducted two US soldiers By Michael Georgy and Ibon Villelabeitia
Mon Jun 19, 9:55 AM ET

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A group linked to Iraq's al Qaeda said on Monday it had abducted two American soldiers south of Baghdad, according to a statement posted on the Internet.

"Your brothers in the military wing of the Mujahideen Shura Council kidnapped two American soldiers near Yusufiya," the Sunni Arab group said. "We will provide you with more details about the incident in the next coming days."

In Baghdad's fortified Green Zone, Saddam Hussein, whose loyalists make up much of the Sunni insurgency, listened to the chief prosecutor in his trial demand that he be sentenced to death for the killing of 148 Shi'ites in the 1980s.

The al Qaeda statement came as 8,000 U.S. and Iraqi forces searched for the two U.S. soldiers, who went missing on Friday after an attack on a checkpoint that killed another soldier.

The missing soldiers have been identified as Private Thomas Lowell Tucker, 25, from Madras, Oregon and Private Kristian Menchaca, 23, from Houston, Texas.

Al Qaeda vowed to hit back after its leader in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, was killed in a U.S. air strike on June 7.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060619/ts_nm/iraq_dc_61

[/q]

my question: can we blame anyone but ourselves if we find that they have been tortured?

Old 06-19-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:26 AM
Re: Al-Qaeda captures two American soldiers

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
my question: can we blame anyone but ourselves if we find that they have been tortured?
Why do we consistently marginalize the evil of others through self flagellation?

Old 06-19-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:26 PM
Re: Al-Qaeda captures two American soldiers

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
I don't think that "we" factors into this, I blame whichever Muslim terrorist group does it and you have qualified an argument that Abu Ghraib and rendition makes these groups more inclined to torture captured soldiers.

I think that they were already doing it and more before Iraq and Afghanistan.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Al-Qaeda captures two American soldiers

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Why do we consistently marginalize the evil of others through self flagellation?

by torturing others, do we not ask for ourselves to be tortured?

how evil are the others when we have committed the same evil unto others?

do we reap what we sow?

why must american soldiers potentially pay the price for Cheney's policies?
Old 06-20-2006, 02:30 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:26 AM
This is what drives the blame America first crowd.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:55 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Rest in peace Thomas and Kristian

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - The bodies of two U.S. soldiers who went missing after an attack on their checkpoint have been found, an Iraqi defense official said on Tuesday.

The U.S. military had launched an intensive hunt for the soldiers involving aircraft and thousands of troops after vowing not to leave them "out there." U.S. military officials in Baghdad had no immediate comment, but CNN said the Pentagon had confirmed the discovery of two unidentified bodies.

The discovery came as more bomb blasts shook Baghdad, killing nine people despite a security clampdown. The U.S. military also said troops hunting insurgents linked to al Qaeda had killed 15 gunmen in raids north of the capital.

Senior Iraqi Defense Ministry official Major General Abdul Aziz Mohammed said the bodies of Privates Thomas Lowell Tucker, 25, and Kristian Menchaca, 23, were found near an electricity plant in Yusufiya, the area in which they were abducted.

He did not say when the soldiers were killed nor when their bodies were found. Fox News Channel said the bodies showed signs of torture, citing reports to Iraqi Defense Ministry officials by civilians who found them.

The Mujahideen Shura Council, an umbrella body of insurgent groups led by al Qaeda, claimed in an Internet posting on Monday to have abducted the two men. However, it provided no video nor documentary evidence that it was holding them and some U.S. officials cast doubt on the statement.

The two went missing at dusk on Friday after an ambush at a checkpoint in Yusufiya, a town in an area south of Baghdad some Iraqis call the "Triangle of Death," which is an al Qaeda stronghold. Another soldier was killed in the attack.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:58 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
This is what drives the blame America first crowd.

and the willingness to excuse and condone torture while viewing self-reflection as a sign of weakness is what drives the neocon New American Century imperialistic nationalism that got us into this mess in the first place.

perhaps some are happy to become a monster to defeat a monster, but i'm not interested in turning into a reflection of the USSR with our Gitmo gulags, secret torture chambers, and ideological warfare.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

The bodies showed signs of "barbaric torture" when they were found by American and Iraqi troops on Monday, a senior Iraqi general told Reuters on Tuesday.

"The two soldiers were found yesterday by a combined U.S.- Iraqi force. We found they had been tortured in a barbaric fashion," Major General Abdul Aziz Mohammed said.

They will be flown to the military's forensics lab in Dover, Del. for autopsies and to make positive identifications, U.S. military officials said. Any formal declaration of death will be withheld until the bodies are positively identified.

U.S. soldiers found the bodies based on a tip from a reliable Iraqi source, military officials told NBC News. U.S. forces had to literally fight their way to the bodies; enemy forces laid a series of improvised explosive devices, also known as IED's, on the primary route to the bodies.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:26 AM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
The bodies showed signs of "barbaric torture" when they were found by American and Iraqi troops on Monday, a senior Iraqi general told Reuters on Tuesday.

"The two soldiers were found yesterday by a combined U.S.- Iraqi force. We found they had been tortured in a barbaric fashion," Major General Abdul Aziz Mohammed said.

i'm glad these men suffered so the Cheney/Rumsfeld/Gonzales crowd could torture.

this is deeply upsetting.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:44 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:26 AM
I know I am going to go off the deep end here. This pisses me off, what happened to these two men. I would say fuck rules of war against your enemy and I say torture, behead or whatever. Fucking Extremist pigs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I talked with a janitor I used to work with he said the Bible is different than that if the Koran due to translation. Well I would say the same thing about islam and how fucked up it's becoming because of uneducated fuck tards like these Monsterous Humans!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 10:51 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
I know I am going to go off the deep end here. This pisses me off, what happened to these two men. I would say fuck rules of war against your enemy and I say torture, behead or whatever. Fucking Extremist pigs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I talked with a janitor I used to work with he said the Bible is different than that if the Koran due to translation. Well I would say the same thing about islam and how fucked up it's becoming because of uneducated fuck tards like these Monsterous Humans!!!

wouldn't that make them more likely to "torture, behead or whatever" the next American soldiers to get captured?
Old 06-20-2006, 10:54 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I am sure it would, but since they have no rules to follow, we should unleash as much hell as they do, with out killing or injuring civilians.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:00 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
I am sure it would, but since they have no rules to follow, we should unleash as much hell as they do, with out killing or injuring civilians.

so our way of life, the democracy we are trying to instill, Western liberal values -- none of this matters anymore.

we should just kill them.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:10 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

The insurgents. We all know Democracy may never work in that region of the world. They would rather live by Islamic Law.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:16 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:26 PM

It's absolutely horrible what happened to these men. Situations like these make me glad I've always been consistenly against torture.