Airstikes R Us - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2002, 02:20 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 03:27 PM
Airstikes R Us

I find it amazing that the americans called in an air strike to kill their allies?

The Story

Dont you think they went a bit overboard?

Old 12-31-2002, 02:27 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:27 AM
Re: Airstikes R Us

Quote:
Originally posted by Ace Rimmer
I find it amazing that the americans called in an air strike to kill their allies?

The Story

Dont you think they went a bit overboard?
And your tactical solution in the situation would be.......?

Old 12-31-2002, 03:52 PM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:27 PM
I wonder if it was Canadians or Pakistanis who would have droped a bomb on US soldiers, by accident, what would have happened in the american public opinion.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:31 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Holy John
I wonder if it was Canadians or Pakistanis who would have droped a bomb on US soldiers, by accident, what would have happened in the american public opinion.
No offense John...but did you take the time to read the article? Maybe beyond the headline?

Here let me paste it for you...

"A Pakistani border scout opened fire with a G3 rifle after the US patrol asked him to return to the Pakistan side of the border," the statement said

"That individual and several others retreated to a nearby structure," it added.

MY Words:

So lets see.....The Pakistani fired on the US soldier FIRST then hid in a building.

STORY Continues:

"Close air support was requested and one 500-lb bomb was dropped on the target area."

A local official in Pakistan's South Waziristan tribal area close to the Afghan border said that a seminary in the Pakistani town of Angor Adda had been hit by US warplanes.

A Pakistani intelligence official said two bombs were dropped on Pakistani soil, but he reported no injuries.

DO I think they overreacted.....NO! You get fired upon, it is your job to fire back and save lives. Calling in for AIR support may have been the only recourse. You do not have the tactical information available to make a second guess decision.

Why not read or post the whole story instead of twisting it.!

Peace
Old 01-02-2003, 04:47 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Hello,

Indeed, it would have been strange if the US soldiers did not react to the shooting 'allies' (who are only 'allies' because the Pakistani government succombed to US pressure to fight the Taliban, not because Pakistan is suddenly so much US loving). I don't find the article that amazing. Somebody starts shooting at the US soldiers, they shoot back.
OK, maybe the report is one-sided (only the US point of view), but I don't have many doubts about the article.

What I do find amazing though is that nobody was killed. Apparently, the Pakistani and the US soldiers were on a joint patrol, so I assume they were close together when they started shooting. Yet nobody was shot dead. Then the Pakistani went into a building that got bombed. And again nobody got killed.
Have they finally invented non-deadly guns and bombs?

C ya!

Marty
Old 01-02-2003, 06:20 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn
Hello,
What I do find amazing though is that nobody was killed. Apparently, the Pakistani and the US soldiers were on a joint patrol, so I assume they were close together when they started shooting. Yet nobody was shot dead. Then the Pakistani went into a building that got bombed. And again nobody got killed.
Have they finally invented non-deadly guns and bombs?
I think, it is amazing. They should all feel very lucky and thank their lucky stars that no one was killed. The article does not give a lot of deatail as to the logistics of everything. However, from everything I have read, the US is operating with very small units in conjunction with other forces. It may explain why the bomb was called for when they were under fire.

Peace