Airline Bans Bibles to Avoid Offending - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Airline Bans Bibles to Avoid Offending

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=48269

Old 01-10-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Ah yes. Leave it to the fearmongering WND to create a headline that neglects to say that this requirement only affects its employees and only on flights to Saudi Arabia.

Remember the thread we had about black basketball players being forced to wear a conservative dress code? And remember how all the conservatives here unanimously said that the basketball players needed to follow a dress code, because it was the right of the employer to set it? Well, guess what? Conservative Christians sometimes need to follow a dress code too. It's the employer's right to set it. Bling, bling!

Melon

Old 01-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:53 PM
Getting a little drudge with that thread title

Quote:
Teddy bears or other cuddly toys also are not allowed
My wife's family lived in Saudi for a number of years. There are many things you do out of respect for the local culture (no shorts, no short sleeves, etc.). Christmas was celebrated with a small display of gold, frankincense and myrrh (easily found, religious symbolism not so identifiable by the locals).

My guess is it would be a shock to most of us to live day to day so mindful of such a different culture (while we quibble over “offensive” t-shirts and breast feeding).
Old 01-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Remember the thread we had about black basketball players being forced to wear a conservative dress code? And remember how all the conservatives here unanimously said that the basketball players needed to follow a dress code, because it was the right of the employer to set it? Well, guess what? Conservative Christians sometimes need to follow a dress code too. It's the employer's right to set it. Bling, bling!

Melon

Quote:
A British airline banned its staff from taking Bibles and wearing crucifixes or St. Christopher medals on flights to Saudi Arabia to avoid offending the country's Muslims.
Somehow, I don’t think the conservative Christians were the ones referenced in the article.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Can we just get a crusade against these Muslims?

and wipe them off the face of the earth

they are not with us

a thinly disguised War on Terror may suffice

WWJD?

nuke em'
Old 01-10-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:53 PM
If that truly was the goal then Bush is more inept than anybody makes him out to be.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Excellent!

We got both conservative Christians and GWB references in the same thread

about a topic that doesn't involve either subject
Old 01-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:53 PM
at title.

at source.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Somehow, I don’t think the conservative Christians were the ones referenced in the article.
If it makes you feel any better, I could have said "conservative Protestants" or "fundamentalist Christians." Liberal Christians would likely not make a fuss about a rule requiring you to be non-religious in appearance. That's my point.

If it makes you feel any better than that, I think conservative Catholics are often much more frightening than fundamentalist Protestants.

Melon
Old 01-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Can we just get a crusade against these Muslims?

and wipe them off the face of the earth

they are not with us

a thinly disguised War on Terror may suffice

A partial transcript, GWB's address to the Nation, Sept. 21, 2001:

"I also want to speak tonight directly to Muslims throughout the world. We respect your faith. It's practiced freely by many millions of Americans and by millions more in countries that America counts as friends. Its teachings are good and peaceful, and those who commit evil in the name of Allah blaspheme the name of Allah."

(APPLAUSE)

"The terrorists are traitors to their own faith, trying, in effect, to hijack Islam itself.

The enemy of America is not our many Muslim friends. It is not our many Arab friends. Our enemy is a radical network of terrorists and every government that supports them."

(APPLAUSE)
Old 01-10-2006, 07:11 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:53 AM
If you're flying to Saudi Arabia, you expect certain things. If you don't know the place is a Wahhabist state, then, gosh, you need to find out what that means. The place is just plain not tourist-friendly. If they want tourists they'll have to change. If they don't want them then.........OK, there are plenty of other places to go. If you want to go to a tourist-friendly Muslim country, go to Turkey.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
The Fly

The only thing I have a problem with in the story is that staff can't opt out of the flights without losing BIG money. Where are the IR tribunals in this case? In my experience (which, admittedly, is not in the UK), employers cannot lower your conditions of work without mutual agreement or offering you a pretty good redundancy package as an alternative.

I don't have a problem with respecting the country's laws. Hell, the airline might just be doing its employees a favour by making them more aware of the laws they are expected to follow during their time in Saudi Arabia.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:21 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

I would rather be a Muslim in Rome than a Christian in Riyadh.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I would rather be a Muslim in Rome than a Christian in Riyadh.
I'd probably agree with you there, despite some of the crazy assertions made in here about Catholics . . .
Old 01-10-2006, 10:50 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

If it makes you feel any better, I could have said "conservative Protestants" or "fundamentalist Christians." Liberal Christians would likely not make a fuss about a rule requiring you to be non-religious in appearance. That's my point.

If it makes you feel any better than that, I think conservative Catholics are often much more frightening than fundamentalist Protestants.
PLEASE tell me you're not implying that Protestants are fundamentalists!

Honestly, I don't have any problems not doing/wearing/reading certain things in the context of other cultures. In Africa, we had to be careful about our dress. Well, it wasn't really an issue for me since I prefer light t-shirts and light, loose khaki pants in that kind of weather, but for example the girl from Laguna Beach had to be reminded on several occasions that her booty shorts and cropped tanks obviously showing off her boob job were not appreciated.