Airhead America gets nutty - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2005, 05:26 PM   #46
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:55 PM
No, actually Rhandi was in Fl and the bit was made in NY. She actually didn't know what the thing was (cause that's a break for the DJ) except the end of gunshots. She was like "what is that". She did apologize the next day after hearing the whole thing. According to the writer the guy shooting was "Average Joe" shooting his son for wanting to privatize SS. That makes sense if you listen to the jioke.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 09:55 PM
Why anyone in their right mind would like to right or left wing radio is beyond me. But these people, on both sides, are equally as bad. For everything a right wing hosts says thats offensive a left wing host does the same. It occurs more for right wingers for the simple fact that there are more right wing radio shows since more left thinking people use the web to acces their news.(as everyone can tell here at FYM, many more liberals then conservatives)

When i read something like this i think "who gives a shit?" If i wrote a article everytime some idiot made a dumbass comment then my hands would fall off!

Old 05-03-2005, 09:48 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Sometimes, you have to give attention to those who cry for it. I'm probably doing them a favor.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:01 PM   #49
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Sometimes, you have to give attention to those who cry for it. I'm probably doing them a favor.
Yeah and in this case you probaly shouldn't. It's the right crying out for it with this article.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:04 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

...And a failing radio network which resorts to shock value.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:42 AM   #51
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Quote:
Their "failing" is quite exagerrated. They fell pretty hard when they first started but have picked themselves up and are slowly being picked up by more and more markets.

Shock value has taken conservative radio a long, so I suspect that we'll probably see more in the future.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #52
The Fly

Local Time: 04:55 AM
They currently only have 53 markets as compared to the conservative shows and thier ratings they are quite a failure.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:28 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
When Clear Channel expresses a lot of interest in it, it's not "failing."

It took MTV 10 years to be profitable. The old rule of thumb is that starting a business takes time. But yeah...we've created an economic environment that has a painfully short attention span.

Melon
Old 05-08-2005, 02:31 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by madroseka
They currently only have 53 markets as compared to the conservative shows and thier ratings they are quite a failure.
Right-wing radio has a 20 year head start, not to mention that they're mostly AM in nature. Anything in AM means "low ratings."

Anyway, "liberal radio" already has NPR, in case people have forgotten, and it's the furthest from "nutty." But, you see, their "normalcy" means no sensational media attention and no FYM articles like this. Now you can see why media people are so sensational so much of the time.

Melon
Old 05-08-2005, 05:49 PM   #55
The Fly

[QUOTE]Originally posted by melon

Right-wing radio has a 20 year head start, not to mention that they're mostly AM in nature. Anything in AM means "low ratings."

Anyway, "liberal radio" already has NPR, in case people have forgotten, and it's the furthest from "nutty." But, you see, their "normalcy" means no sensational media attention and no FYM articles like this. Now you can see why media people are so sensational so much of the time.

Melon
[/QUOTE

Is NPR publically funded? I have actually never even found it on the radio dial. Im just wondering. I mostly listen to talk radio directly from the internet. I'm not going to judge them until I hear them do they stream online?
Old 05-08-2005, 06:42 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by madroseka
Is NPR publically funded? I have actually never even found it on the radio dial. Im just wondering. I mostly listen to talk radio directly from the internet. I'm not going to judge them until I hear them do they stream online?
It's in the non-commercial range of FM radio (between 87.5 FM and 91.7 FM). So search for it somewhere in that region. And, yes, it's partially publically funded, but also relies on pledge drives.

Actually, I was being slightly sarcastic about it being "liberal radio." It's not officially part of any party, but it generally appeals to college-educated liberals in urban areas. Like PBS, as well, each NPR station sets its own programming schedule, but airs some nationally syndicated material.

Melon
Old 05-08-2005, 08:19 PM   #57
The Fly

Ok thanks! I will check it out.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:09 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by madroseka
Quote:

www.npr.org

if you want some good music with your public radio

www.kcrw.org

they both have links to streams
Old 05-08-2005, 11:32 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Always was amazed when right wing talk radio hijacked "counterculture" music for their bumper music.
I'd cringe when I'd hear the opening strains of "For What It's Worth" for Rush Limbaugh or "Long Time Gone" for Bill O'Reilly.
Yeah, I listen sometimes.

Don't get Air America in my little part of the country. Do they play "Cat Scratch Fever?"