Air Travel to London - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2003, 04:00 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:19 PM
Normal Air Travel to London

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe...ick/index.html

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Police say they have detained six more people during a major security operation at airports around Britain.

Four men were held in west London on Friday directly under the flight path of Europe's busiest airport, Heathrow.

They were originally arrested under the UK Terrorism Act 2000 but were later "de-arrested" and instead were being detained under the Immigration Act 1971 and were being referred in custody to the Immigration Service.

It was also revealed on Friday that two men were arrested Thursday night near the perimeter fence of Leeds-Bradford Airport in northern England. They were being held under anti-terror legislation.

A West Yorkshire Police spokeswoman told the UK Press Association that the two men arrested outside Leeds-Bradford airport were believed to be Iraqi Kurds.

On Thursday, police arrested a 37-year-old Venezuelan man after a live grenade was found in his luggage as he arrived at Britain's second airport, Gatwick, from South America.

Two other men were arrested outside Heathrow on Thursday; one was released, and one was placed into the custody of the Immigration Service.

Heathrow has been ringed by police and troops for the past four days amid intelligence-led fears that al Qaeda extremists may target the capital.

Part of Heathrow's Terminal 2 -- which serves European destinations -- was evacuated and later reopened on Friday after what a police source said was the discovery of a suspect package.

Areas under the flight path have been combed in case of a repeat of last November's rocket attack on an Israeli airliner taking off from Mombasa airport in Kenya.

Only one of the nine arrests this week -- that of the man held at Gatwick -- was initially thought to be potentially significant.

His arrest -- after the grenade was found in his luggage on an incoming British Airways flight from Caracas, Venezuela, via Bogota, Colombia -- sparked travel chaos at the airport south of London.

"We've had to cancel 32 flights in all, which would probably affect around 2,500 passengers," a British Airways spokesman said, with the delays dragging on through Friday morning. Other airlines were similarly affected.

BA re-routed its scheduled Friday flight to Caracas, saying the plane would fly only to Colombia and Barbados.
Gatwick
Police officers guard the entrance to the north terminal of Gatwick Airport

The BA spokesman said the measure had been taken "as a precaution" and added the airline was conducting its own investigation into how the grenade passed undetected through South American security checks.

British police have been on a state of alert since Tuesday when they warned that al Qaeda -- the network headed by Osama bin Laden and blamed for the September 11, 2001 attacks on New York and Washington -- might use the end of the Muslim Eid religious festival as a symbolic time to attack.

Britain has been U.S. President George W. Bush's closest ally in the build-up to a possible war against Iraq, and many in the UK have voiced fears the country might be targeted by terrorists -- especially if Britain and the United States attack Baghdad.

Armed police and soldiers in tanks were patrolling London's Heathrow airport for a fourth consecutive day on Friday as part of the largest security operation ever mounted by Britain's Metropolitan police force.

About 1,700 extra police officers were at Heathrow and other key London sites, and security was beefed up at Manchester airport, including spot checks by armed officers.

The Ministry of Defence has refused to comment on reports that military jets were patrolling the skies over London.

-----------------------------------------------

I have a ticket into Heathrow next week. Do you think I have reason to be afraid? .....Reason to cancel?

Old 02-14-2003, 04:04 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:19 AM
Re: Air Travel to London

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm
I have a ticket into Heathrow next week. Do you think I have reason to be afraid? .....Reason to cancel?
No. Go in peace.

Old 02-14-2003, 04:06 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:19 PM
Re: Air Travel to London

Honestly, I would be careful and watch the progress with this. They talked about closing Heathrow down, so it's pretty serious.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:13 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:19 PM
You could always try and fly into Gatwick.

Melon
Old 02-14-2003, 06:18 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

When I go, if it's still like this, I may fly into either Paris or Manchester.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:24 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
When I go, if it's still like this, I may fly into either Paris or Manchester.
I was thinking about that too! but I dunno if I am going anymore!!
Old 02-14-2003, 06:44 PM   #7
War Child

I wouldn't cancel if I were you. The article you posted reported things in a slightly more dramatic way to some of the articles I've read from other newsites. The "suspect package" was allegedly an unattended bag, which I think happens almost hourly in our airports. The RAF planes over London were apparently Nimrod planes being used specifically to aid communication.

The Festival the government fear could be the trigger for an attack ends tomorrow I believe.

There are alot of very cynical ppl who believe that this whole thing is merely a publicity stunt to gain more support for the War on Iraq.

I think you should stick to your plans for now and see what happens over the weekend, if anything.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:28 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

Re: Re: Air Travel to London

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

No. Go in peace.
I flew 10 days after 9/11 here in the US, and I refused to let terrorists keep me afraid from flying. I felt that they won if I did not make the trip.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:28 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Stansted.

It's cheaper - and terrorists are less likely to recognize it.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:57 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:19 PM
I'm going. Anyone who cares to pass along some extra prayers, it would be much appreciated.

thanks, Olive
Old 02-18-2003, 12:00 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
have a safe trip!
Old 02-18-2003, 02:58 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Good for you

I'll say a prayer for you

Everything will be fine, and you'll have a great time
Old 02-18-2003, 06:49 PM   #13
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Is de-arrested a word?

Olive, I'm sure you'll be fine, praying for your safe trip and peace there and back
Old 02-18-2003, 07:54 PM   #14
War Child

Good for you Olive. Just be careful and have fun. My cousin went last month through Heathrow and she said she felt pretty secured and they had massive security so you should be fine. Anyway I'll say a couple of prayers!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 09:13 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

When I flew out of Heathrow, there was a group of people at security in traditional clothing (not sure what country they were from) that included several VERY large knifes on each person. Like 10 inches long, curved, ceremonial things. I have NO idea how they thought they were going to get through security like that.