Air marshal kills man who made bomb threat - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2005, 10:37 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:05 AM
I guess what I am trying to say is I would rather not have people working to protect me thinking about should I or shouldn't I. If the cop did not shoot, lives could have been lost. His own.

After the incident, in which a weapon was fired, I was not sure I could make the right decision.

Make sense?

Old 12-07-2005, 10:38 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

it's a terrible situation all around.

the air marshals did their job. for that i am thankful.

i have been around people who have gone off their meds, and it is truly something astonishing. in college, we had a former alumni visit the swim team and would call meetings with the captains to let them know that clinton was trying to kill him and that there was heat all around, they were onto him and knew his location, and he had to leave soon, but he had to pass along information in case he was killed.

then his father came and got him. the man was 40.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:51 PM   #33
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I guess what I am trying to say is I would rather not have people working to protect me thinking about should I or shouldn't I. If the cop did not shoot, lives could have been lost. His own.

After the incident, in which a weapon was fired, I was not sure I could make the right decision.

Make sense?
Believe me I completely understand. And for the most part I'm playing a little bit of devil's advocate.

I was in a split decision with a car thief once, thankfully a gun wasn't involved, and I was able to get my father's car back after he had already driven away. I was lucky. But I wasn't trained, I just reacted.

But I guess my point is these men are trained to make split decisions. Should there be a thought process, or just a black and white, blanket shoot to kill policy?

If the proper checks are put into action, then shouldn't that allow at least another second to think?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:50 AM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

If the proper checks are put into action, then shouldn't that allow at least another second to think?
I am sure the failing report card by the 9/11 commission really gives faith to the checks in place.

Life or death...fuck the checks.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:58 AM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:05 PM
Once the decision is made it must be carried out without second guessing, in these sort of cases the action taken is not as relevent as the decision and the events surrounding it.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:19 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

I saw a psychiatrist on CNN last night who said she tells her bipolar patents to never fly, it is too stressful for them even when they are on medication. This man and his wife used to fly back and forth to Equador to do do charity work with their church. Very sad situation.

Someone also said on CNN that this would deter terrorists, I have doubts about that. People who are willing to fly planes into buildings aren't scared off by much I would think.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:44 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:05 AM

Ï think we can at least all agree on that it's a sad state of affairs for everyone involved.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:52 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:05 PM
what DrTeeth said
Old 12-08-2005, 09:28 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Investigat...C-RSSFeeds0312

Dec. 7, 2005 — Federal law enforcement sources tell ABC News they had been on the alert for a possible shoe bomber when a federal air marshal opened fire at the Miami International Airport today.

In today's incident, an agitated passenger claiming to have a bomb in his backpack was shot and killed by a federal air marshal, officials said. No bomb was found.

Officials say a 50-year-old Egyptian man was stopped six days ago at New York's John F. Kennedy Airport. Sources say he had a suspicious pair of shoes that tested positive five times for the explosive substance TATP on the interior of his shoes between the heel and sole.

Federal officials say the man's shoes are remarkably similar to those used by shoe bomber Richard Reid, who attempted to blow up an American Airlines jet over the Atlantic four years ago.

The Egyptian man's destination was Des Moines, Iowa, sources say, and he claimed he was a student at Iowa State University in Ames.

Strangely, after holding him overnight, airport security in New York released him. The FBI was notified after he was released. Now the FBI has put out a nationwide alert.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:33 AM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

One of many cases that would otherwise go unreported, but when they do something like do a check on a baby it grabs headlines for inept non-profiling.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:23 AM   #41
The Fly

Local Time: 06:05 AM
its really sad that he was shot and killed off the plane. kinda makes you wonder what really happen. I personally think the air marshall wasnt prepaired and missread the situation.

I'm glad they are there. but I also question the whole "he hada bomb" thing.

After watching the raiding of the Koresh compound in Waco, Texas on live TV, I've always been a little leary. During that ABC had a live shot of 2 ATF agents on the roof of the compound toss molatov cocktails into a window and seconds later flames and smoke start rising out of the very same window, while they make the statement the people inside started the fires.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:50 PM   #42
War Child

Local Time: 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by UltraVioletMofo
. I'm glad they are there. but I also question the whole "he hada bomb" thing.
Passengers on the plane have corroborated the marshal's testimony that the man said he had a bomb.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:29 PM   #43
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 02:05 AM
Well this all makes me nervous because I have to fly next week....between this story and the icy cold weather delaying flights, I'm already stressing!
Old 12-08-2005, 03:39 PM   #44
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230
Well this all makes me nervous because I have to fly next week....between this story and the icy cold weather delaying flights, I'm already stressing!
...just don't tell anyone you have a bomb - and everything should be A-ok for ya..
Old 12-08-2005, 03:54 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Just remember the Police lies after the Jean Charles de Menezes shooting in London, hopefully a bit more early transparency will be present rather than lies and backtracking.
this was a very good post

i don't understand why some want to jump out and make certain declarations when there is plenty of time to learn more why something happened and the circumstances involved.