Air And Space Museum Exibit Sparks Protest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The controversy over the Enola Gay exhibit is the topic of one of my seminars in my Asia Pacific War and Modern Memory module. I didn't realize that there was such a huge controversy over the display in the early to mid-90's. It seems the Smithsonian was in a catch-22 with veterans groups on one side and revisionist historians on the other, so it's not surprising to me that after all of the complaints from both sides (and pressure from Congress) that the display is so simple.

Dreadsox said:
The thread this summer was a great one.....

I found some really good quotes from Japanese historians upset that their guilt was being erased from the historical picture. Hiroshima was part of the military/industrial complex. It was not just a random city, and the imperial nature of Japan brought some of the reponsibility for the trajedy of the Atomic Bomb onto Japan as well. It was a very interesting read.

the thread was started by Scarletwine I believe.....if my memory serves me correct.

With all the reading I've done this week on the Enola Gay controversy, I could now write a novel on this topic (which is good since I have to write 5,000 words!). :crack:

Anyway, I went through past posts page-by-page trying to find the thread mentioned above....but couldn't find it. Can someone who remembers this thread (Dread or whoever else) remember about which month it was posted in or someone who's premium do a search for me? I'd be interesting in seeing the quotes from the Japanese historians, since most of the research I've done has focused on the debate between veterans associations and Congress and historians and pacifists in the US. Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom