AIDS in the world.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/africa/03/aids_debate/html/default.stm

current_figures_416.gif

they have tabs on the top of that page that link to, for instance, "speed of spread" and "best case scenario by 2010."

Scary, scary stuff. :|

It's absolutely stunning. There are a lot of interesting things on that website. Thanks for posting it.

AcrobatMan said:
the moral of the story

ABSTAIN

or ATLEAST BE FAITHFUL & HAVE AS LESS PARTNERS AS IS POSSIBLE :D

No I don't think that's the moral of the story here. Having the least amount of partners as possible will not stop anything without protection. It just takes one time.

The moral is education and responsibility. We need to educate ourselves and our children about the dangers of this disease and how to protect ourselves from it.

The darkest areas on this map are in areas where sex education is often not allowed, protection is not available and rape is as common as the common cold. I have a cousin who's a missionary in Africa right now and the rate of rape is unbelievable. I can't remember the exact statistic but it's close to 1 of every 4 girls by the age of 16 have been raped.

Their children are being born with the disease and none of this will help them.

So abstenence and having the least amount of partners is not the moral of this story. Yes abstinence will protect you, but not without education.

Last edited:
Word to BVS's mother!

A serious examination of gender roles and the "rights" of a man to get it when and how it wants it just might be in order, too. If I may be blunt. :D IE, serious prosecution of the sex trade, child labor, child sex slavery, serious prosecution of rape, rethinking the "right" to infidelity" etc etc.

That map broke my heart. :( The debt has GOT TO GO so governments can fight this!

SD

I remember when AIDS was first in the news... I never dreamed that we would fail to control it, that it would become the scourge of the poor and the uneducated all over the world. Back then it was just gay men, people who shared needles and unfortunates who got tainted blood products. I had faith that we could and would stop it. :(

Sherry Darling said:
Word to BVS's mother!

A serious examination of gender roles and the "rights" of a man to get it when and how it wants it just might be in order, too. If I may be blunt. :D IE, serious prosecution of the sex trade, child labor, child sex slavery, serious prosecution of rape, rethinking the "right" to infidelity" etc etc.

That map broke my heart. :( The debt has GOT TO GO so governments can fight this!

SD

:yes:.

Also, ditto everything BonoVoxSupastar said as well. :up:.

Angela

I received my copy of "A Closer Walk" yesterday and got to watch it last night.

What a heart wrenching documentary, but also so very energizing.

One thing that struck me was the AIDS crisis represents the worst of the subordination of women, but could be used to empower them. Especially in developing countries such as Africa and India. Women's worth and position in society has to be addressed by these gov't to prevent the decimation of the next generation whether they like it or not.

I saw a BBC documentary on the web the other day about AIDS in China. The gov't has isolated entire villages and left them to die slowly rather than admit they have an epidemic.

How can we deny funding the entire 3B promised but can give 87B for oil?:sad:

Scarletwine said:
I saw a BBC documentary on the web the other day about AIDS in China. The gov't has isolated entire villages and left them to die slowly rather than admit they have an epidemic.

Yeah, that'll solve the problem. :rolleyes:.

That's awful.

Originally posted by Scarletwine
How can we deny funding the entire 3B promised but can give 87B for oil?:sad:

Good question. Something to ask our government about.

Angela

Soul Always said:
It's a PLAGUE people. The only person who can stop it is God.

That's an absolute cop-out and borders on hatred. So if God doesn't stop it, is it because he hates these people and wants to see them die? That's complete laziness. We have the technology and the means to prevent the spread. We are here to be God's hands.

Should we stop our search for a cure for cancer? Should we stop the spread of hatred?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That's an absolute cop-out and borders on hatred. So if God doesn't stop it, is it because he hates these people and wants to see them die? That's complete laziness. We have the technology and the means to prevent the spread. We are here to be God's hands.

Should we stop our search for a cure for cancer? Should we stop the spread of hatred?

It does not border on hatred. AIDS knows no prejudice. And, cancer would have a cure by now if the medical and pharmaceutical community didn't get so rich by the disease.

Soul Always said:

It does not border on hatred. AIDS knows no prejudice. And, cancer would have a cure by now if the medical and pharmaceutical community didn't get so rich by the disease.

It sounded to me as if you believe we shouldn't do anything about it. You said, "God is the only person who can stop this". So are we suppose to sit back and let it happen? Let it wipe out a whole continent and kill millions throughout the world?

Any time I hear someone say only God can stop it now and I ask them what that means, I get this explanation; "It's out of our hands, if God wanted to save these people he would." This explanation is nothing but hate.

If this isn't what you meant then I apologize and ask you to elaborate.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It sounded to me as if you believe we shouldn't do anything about it. You said, "God is the only person who can stop this". So are we suppose to sit back and let it happen? Let it wipe out a whole continent and kill millions throughout the world?

Any time I hear someone say only God can stop it now and I ask them what that means, I get this explanation; "It's out of our hands, if God wanted to save these people he would." This explanation is nothing but hate.

If this isn't what you meant then I apologize and ask you to elaborate.

No, I don't think it's about God wanting or not wanting to save people and to end this AIDS epidemic all over the world. However, I do think there are just some things that are bigger than us and it takes us turning to God to aid in the solution.

It's like the drought we've experienced here for years. Do I think he wanted to make it hard on the farmers, trees and wildlife for years? No. But, we certainly couldn't end the drought all on our own. We had to do a lot of praying to God, turning to Him, and now the drought is ending.

I don't think He necessarily starts things...I just think He waits for us to come to Him as part of the solution.

No, not everyone believes, but I do think God has to be involved in this one. Some things ARE bigger than we are. This whole planet is becoming infected at this point.

I think God definitely expects us to do all we can, first, before asking Him, and I don't think it's some sort of punishment doled out by God. It's something that we need God's help on, that's all. Something very big to us. On a smaller scale it's like cancer to the individual. I bet any person who believes in God prays during that time because they need that extra support. We need Him. He is the ultimate factor AFTER all we can do.

Last edited:
I agree we should turn to God. I misunderstood you as saying we can't do anything about it, so we shouldn't do anything about it. I apologize.

Instead of saying only God can stop this, I prefer thinking the only way we can stop this is through God.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I agree we should turn to God. I misunderstood you as saying we can't do anything about it, so we shouldn't do anything about it. I apologize.

Instead of saying only God can stop this, I prefer thinking the only way we can stop this is through God.

Yeah. That's a much better way of putting it. Thank you.:yes:

Sherry Darling said:
Word to BVS's mother!

SD

:up:

I follow this topic pretty close, the other night I watched a documentary, maybe on HBO, about a village in Uganda. Anyway the film followed the residents of a small village, at one point the residents of village the film was about were all taken in for testing, then you had to watch all of the people find out the status of their test. Rather sad seeing the people who were postive. In the film I think only one couple was positive out of 6 couples or so; however the clinic worker said it usually 8 out of 12 people. More or less all the woman in the film said there husbands were sleeping with a lot of other people.

Maybe everyone here should buy a shirt, song or make a donation to www.46664.com

World AIDS Deaths, Infections at New Highs
Tue Nov 25

By Patricia Reaney

LONDON (Reuters) - Deaths and new cases of HIV/AIDS reached unprecedented highs in 2003 and are set to rise still further as the epidemic keeps a stranglehold on sub-Saharan Africa and advances across Eastern Europe and Central Asia.

New global estimates released Tuesday based on improved data show about 40 million people worldwide are living with HIV/AIDS, including an estimated 2.5 million children under 15 years old. About five million people were infected in 2003 and more than three million died.

"The AIDS epidemic continues to expand -- we haven't reached the limit yet," said Dr Peter Piot, head of the Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS).

The whole article is here...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=753&e=1&u=/nm/20031125/sc_nm/aids_dc

:banghead:

In a dusty township, containers hold AIDS key, but remain unused
Sun Nov 30

DAVEYTON, South Africa (AFP) - In a dusty South African township, two empty shipping containers could change the lives of hundreds of people dying of AIDS every week, but they remain unused.

Members of Hospice, the organisation in charge of running the AIDS programme in Daveyton, some 30 kilometres (18 miles) east of Johannesburg, say they cannot scrape together the 155 dollars needed to hire a grader to flatten the bumpy and rubbish-filled ground to allow them to turn the containers into proper satellite clinics

The rest of the article is here

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...l_afp/health_aids_africa_safrica_031130220721

Back
Top Bottom