AIDS in Russia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharky

New Yorker
Am reading this fascinating article about the HUGE rise of AIDS in Russia and how it's become almost as bad as Africa. Just wanted to add in it since I know alot of you are interesting in what's going on with the AIDS crisis and also because it's something I've never seen reported on until now, at least not in such depth.

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?041011fa_fact1

I am afraid we will be reading about how aids is now spreading in this population and that population for some time.

I guess education is what is most important.

“That is what scares me the most. Russia has a view of itself as a superpower, and this is the only way it can support that view. The country can only become more unstable as it becomes sicker, but its leaders cling to their view of Russia as it existed when there was a Soviet Union.

Unbelievable. Russia can't get over its past and face reality.

well the interesting thing between Russia and Africa and th U.S. is that here in the U.S. the government promotes education. Russia doesn't support it at all. One of the scary statistics in the story was the fact that a majority of Russians believe you can get AIDS from a kiss or a cough.

The AIDS crisis is bound up in the poverty crisis. We need to strive towards the elimination of both.

2005 is to be a crucial year for this....please check out the following website if you feel led--http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/. This campaign has been endorsed by Bono as an important asset in this fight.

The political events of 2005 mean that there is a unique opportunity for us to be the great generation that said 'enough is enough' 20 years after Live Aid. We can fight against the notion that the world is the way it is and there is nothing to be done--or we can do something about it! With enough public pressure - politicians could change policies on trade, debt and aid, which would change the lives of 800 million people.

If not our generation - who? If not in 2005 - when?

It IS possible...dream out loud. :heart:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom