AIDS Crisis May Alter Religious Views

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reminds me of the story of how Bono changed the views of ______(I went blank he's a very conservative Christian that claims Bono changed his views on AIDS, I can't believe I forgot his name). But anyways yes the church does need to change.

Well, they say that the bubonic plague in the 12th-14th centuries is the likely cause of the erosion of the Catholic Church in Europe and the ultimate contributor to the Protestant Reformation. That is, when bad things happen, you start questioning things. When good things happen, you're more satisfied with being complacent.

Melon

Well, I know it wasn't Frist - he's the good doctor of the senate that believes that you can get AIDS through tears.

What a dumbass. How proud I am that he's the candidate from TN and the majority leader. [Part of the reason why I nearly ALWAYS make the point that I am not fromthe South - I am just trapped here for the time being.]

Boy the Republicans sure like to have their stars burn dull in the common sense department.

YellowKite said:
Well, I know it wasn't Frist - he's the good doctor of the senate that believes that you can get AIDS through tears.

Really? From what I've heard of his views on things, I haven't agreed with him anyway (I just knew Bono had talked to him a couple of times, that's why his name came up), but I didn't know he thought that.

Yeah...that's kinda disturbing...

Angela

first, a by all accounts great Doctor, has had to do several professionally humiliating things in his quest to win over the Religious Right on his way to the Republican nomination in 2008.

first, he gave a diagnosis of terri schiavo via videotape and preposterously proclaimed that she was responsitve and not in a persistive vegistative state.

then, he went on ABC's "This Week" and when George Stephanapolus grilled him on the absolute horseshit science that absinence-only groups peddle off as "fact" -- stuff like 50% of all gay teens have AIDS, that sweat and tears can transmit AIDS, that condoms don't work -- he begrudgingly agreed to all that crap.

at least it made him uncomfortable as it should -- when you sign a deal with the devil, there's a price to pay.

hopefully, these laughable offenses won't totally erase all the good work he's done in Africa.

So much for Hippocratic oath, "First do no harm."

He's now taking the Hypocritic oath.

Frist, do no harm!

Oops. That is not in the Hippocratic oath. Should have looked before I posted, but the "First do no harm" phrase is attributed to Hippocrates and generally considered to be implied in the oath.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/doctors/oath_modern.html

modern link oath attached.

For a little unintended controversy (Sigh:| ) but with the intent of intellectual honesty, I have also attached the original oath to show how it has changed over time.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/doctors/oath_classical.html

Back
Top Bottom