Ahmadinejad Wants To Visit Ground Zero - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #106
New Yorker
 
The Disciple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,586
Local Time: 09:10 AM
LOL.... thank U.
__________________

__________________
The Disciple is offline  
Old 09-25-2007, 02:53 PM   #107
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 12:10 AM
Quote:
So some hostages were taken. Regrettable, but Iran didn't kill anyone the way Americans are responsible for brutal repression and the deaths of surely thousands in Iranian history.
The old revolution took out quite a few as well; creating a pure islamic society (with no homosexuality LOL) requires purging troublesome intellectuals and dissident groups; one should hope that the fact that this clerical autocracy attacked leftists should prevent them from making common cause - but a minority seems more than happy to cooperate with violent bigoted religious morons when they say the right stuff about a common enemy.

It's as if Anglo-American imperialism imbues any regime with impunity to abuse the populations human rights, to attack free speech around the world and get by with some rather dirty tactics without too much trouble (Basij mine sweepers for instance).
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 09-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 02:10 PM
He keeps rambling on and on at the UN.
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 09-26-2007, 05:58 AM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by toscano


You need your hearing SERIOUSLY checked.

I got the name from my boss, he's Iranian.
No. My hearing is fine.

Though, apparently I'm a little slow on the uptake. I just got it. . .Ahmadimibulb. Dim Bulb.

Toscano, I owe you an apology for judging you so harshly based on a play on words I failed to recognize. That was hasty and unfair of me. I hope there are no hard feelings.

I hearby repent and sit down to my dinner of humble pie.

__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 09-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #110
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,974
Local Time: 09:10 AM
This is what happens to gay people in Iran

http://direland.typepad.com/direland..._kill_me_.html

And women have it better there than in many other countries in the world, according to Ahmadinejad.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 09-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
This is what happens to gay people in Iran

http://direland.typepad.com/direland..._kill_me_.html

And women have it better there than in many other countries in the world, according to Ahmadinejad.
Comparatively speaking, I believe women in Iran are better off there than in most other countries of the Islamic world. Iranian universities, for instance, are over half female, whereas some Muslim nations won't let them go to school at all. So, no, it would not be fair to paint all the Muslim nations of the world with the same brush, even if some of their governments are better or worse than others.

However, Iran's attitude towards gays, while officially hostile in every Muslim country, is certainly one of the top offenders, along with Saudi Arabia. The fact that he has the audacity to deny that they even exist in Iran is a combination of that religion-derived hostility with communist-era ideology, as most communist nations considered homosexuality to be a bourgeois cultural construct related to the excesses of capitalism. Undoubtedly, the subtext of saying that homosexuals don't exist in Iran corresponds to him believing that it is merely a perversion of the West. That just makes him--and all others who think like him--seem even more ridiculous than they already are.
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 09-26-2007, 09:46 AM   #112
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,974
Local Time: 09:10 AM
I don't know his exact quote, so I don't know if he meant women only in the Islamic world. I don't know how their treatment compares exactly to the rest of the Islamic world, but I would guess he paints a rather false picture.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 09-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
hiphop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the jungle
Posts: 7,410
Local Time: 04:10 PM
Last thing I saw of Iran was a video showing young students who were hung on the street.

Well, the death sentence in the U.S. isn´t much better.

Two criminals called Prez meet. Who cares. Ahmadinejad isn´t any better than Bush.
__________________
hiphop is offline  
Old 09-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #114
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Last thing I saw of Iran was a video showing young students who were hung on the street.

Well, the death sentence in the U.S. isn´t much better.

Two criminals called Prez meet. Who cares. Ahmadinejad isn´t any better than Bush.


garbage.

the US doesn't execute gay people. while i am opposed to the US, there's at least a long and lengthy process of law that, however imperfectly applied, is worlds away from dictate-by-mullah you have in Iran.

our president is a bloody fool and a moron, but equivocation between him and the Iranian government -- i have to assume that's what you meant, since Ahmadinejad has no actual power -- is just silly, and it's statements like this that does more harm to leftists politics than good. it's statements like this that enable moderates and conservatives to dismiss everyone on the left as silly postmodern relativists.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 09-26-2007, 12:03 PM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
hiphop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the jungle
Posts: 7,410
Local Time: 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
and it's statements like this that does more harm to leftists politics than good. it's statements like this that enable moderates and conservatives to dismiss everyone on the left as silly postmodern relativists.
and so what i don´t give a fuck for leftists or their statements that enable morons to dismiss whatever they think they are obliged to dismiss

your president is a killer, and to continue a war you can´t win (=to let young soldiers die) is just as cruel as supporting extremist terrorists

the guy from Iran is a killer too

that´s all that counts in my book
__________________
hiphop is offline  
Old 09-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #116
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,333
Local Time: 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i have to assume that's what you meant, since Ahmadinejad has no actual power --
it's a secret
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 09-26-2007, 12:41 PM   #117
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars


and so what i don´t give a fuck for leftists or their statements that enable morons to dismiss whatever they think they are obliged to dismiss

your president is a killer, and to continue a war you can´t win (=to let young soldiers die) is just as cruel as supporting extremist terrorists

the guy from Iran is a killer too

that´s all that counts in my book


and with that, you're every bit as simplistic as Bush.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 09-26-2007, 01:55 PM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by melon




However, Iran's attitude towards gays, while officially hostile in every Muslim country, is certainly one of the top offenders, along with Saudi Arabia. The fact that he has the audacity to deny that they even exist in Iran is a combination of that religion-derived hostility with communist-era ideology, as most communist nations considered homosexuality to be a bourgeois cultural construct related to the excesses of capitalism. Undoubtedly, the subtext of saying that homosexuals don't exist in Iran corresponds to him believing that it is merely a perversion of the West. That just makes him--and all others who think like him--seem even more ridiculous than they already are.
I've pondered the matter quite extensively within the outter reaches of my intellect.

I propose that we send Senator Wide Stance as an Ambassador to investigate the matter more fully.

Maybe he'll become more honest with himself more quickly.




thank u,

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 09-26-2007, 02:18 PM   #119
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond


I've pondered the matter quite extensively within the outter reaches of my intellect.



if you're looking to explore, or even if you're just curious, you can always PM me.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 09-27-2007, 04:35 AM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
hiphop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the jungle
Posts: 7,410
Local Time: 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

and with that, you're every bit as simplistic as Bush.
yeah and that´s ok. some things are simple.
__________________

__________________
hiphop is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com