Ah The Glory Days Of The Clinton Admin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
The Bush admin sure is taking a lot of heat for abuses of power these days. If the power is really being abused, they deserve the heat. However, many of the claims are not backed by proof.

These people who scream and holler that the Bush admin has destroyed America's reputation astound me. Have these people forgotten how Clinton's feds abused their power in the following cases:

Federal agents were directly responsible for the deaths at Ruby Ridge: a fleeing 13 year old boy (shot in the back) and an unarmed woman

Federal agents were indirectly responsible for the deaths of men, women and children at the David Koresh compound in Waco:

Federal agents broke federal law and storm-trooped the house of Elian Gonzales' uncle and took a frightened gun child at gunpoint on Easter Weekend

Not only that, but look at some of the military conflicts Clinton got us involved in; No one wanted us to go to Somalia, but Clinton sent forces in anyway. Now, I am not saying that the Pres should make decisions based on polls. But what ticks me off is that he sends them over on "peace-keeping status" with orders not to shoot! Some of our soldiers were executed and had their bodies dragged through the streets. And yet, our guys weren't supposed to shoot back. It's ludicrous.

Why do people still not remember these things when they talk about abuse of power?

It may be something to do with the fact that Clinton observed the basic precepts of international law, the Geneva convention, etc.

'Johnny comes marching home again, hurrah, hurrah....'

80sU2isBest said:
Not only that, but look at some of the military conflicts Clinton got us involved in; No one wanted us to go to Somalia, but Clinton sent forces in anyway.

Somalia was started by Bush, Sr., I thought.

Melon

or we can simply avoid questioning the present and make endlessly inconsequential, circumstantial to the past in order to tell ourselves that, hey, we're not as bad as everyone else thinks we are.

i also can't tell if comparing Waco and Ruby Ridge to Iraq, the Downing Street Memos, the endorsement of torture, Gitmo, the Patriot Act, and the general contempt for the rest of the world is sad or hilarious.

u2bonogirl said:
Or Clintons all nighter orgies
But then again, stuff like that is more glorified than scorned isnt it? :scratch:

Seemingly not in America. Clinton faced impeachment procedings. Bush has not. But I live in hope.

u2bonogirl said:
Im surprised the woman with the famous mouth hasnt come up :lol:

Or Clintons all nighter orgies
But then again, stuff like that is more glorified than scorned isnt it? :scratch:

or ignored, because it has nothing, whatsoever, to do with anything beyond getting some of our moralistic masses up in a quiver.

The immorality of sending troops into an illegal war, being responsible for the death of thousands upon thousands and all of this based on a lie...this dwarfs beyond measure any private personal sex behaviour. If there is any justice in this world, Bush should have been impeached ages ago.

Clinton: Biggest deficit to biggest surplus
Bush: Biggest surplus to biggest deficit

Clinton: Rising value of dollar
Bush: Falling value of dollar

Clinton: More jobs created than lost.
Bush: More jobs lost than crated.

Sulawelisgirl and unodostres, why let the FACTS get in the way of a good Clinton bashing thread?

Re: Re: Ah The Glory Days Of The Clinton Admin

melon said:

Somalia was started by Bush, Sr., I thought.

Melon

I don't think so. I'll look it up.

I wasnt saying it really mattered :shrug:
Just that I was surprised that it hadnt come up at all
Honestly, I dont know enough to join in on the bashing threads
I just read and try to learn something
Getting back to learning! :wave:

sulawesigirl4 said:
The immorality of sending troops into an illegal war, being responsible for the death of thousands upon thousands and all of this based on a lie...this dwarfs beyond measure any private personal sex behaviour. If there is any justice in this world, Bush should have been impeached ages ago.

Sula, my point isn't about sex or anything like that.

My point was the several abuses of power by Clinton and Janet Reno.

financeguy said:
Sulawelisgirl and unodostres, why let the FACTS get in the way of a good Clinton bashing thread?

fg, in case you missed my point, I'll express it again.

People are suddenly up in arms over perceived abuses of power by the Bush admin, as if the Bush admin had somehow invented abuse of power. Why is that, when Clinton and Janet Reno were responsible for things like Ruby Ridge and Waco?

I think that if there was no Monica Lewinsky scandal, then Clinton would have been seen as one of the greatest presidents. But why does it matter what Clinton did with his private life? Just because he is the president means he has to live a perfect life?

financeguy said:
It may be something to do with the fact that Clinton observed the basic precepts of international law, the Geneva convention, etc.

And yet occasionally ignored federal law when it came to his own people; the people of this nation whom had sworn to protect.

Infinitum98 said:
I think that if there was no Monica Lewinsky scandal, then Clinton would have been seen as one of the greatest presidents. But why does it matter what Clinton did with his private life? Just because he is the president means he has to live a perfect life?
So what if bush had a scandal like that?
Just a question :shrug:

u2bonogirl,
The truth is that most liberaals probably wouldn't care, because they seem to find nothing wrong with a man using the power the American people entrusted to him, to seduce young women less than half his age, and using tax-payed facilities as the location for cheating on his wife. They don't even seem to care that he lied to a federal grand jury about it.

80sU2isBest said:

And yet occasionally ignored federal law when it came to his own people; the people of this nation whom had sworn to protect.

And by having the affair with Monica, he failed to protect his people? Those are unrelated things....

Bush on the other hand received a report on his desk from the CIA discussing Bin Laden's plan to attack US destinations with airplanes. Mohammed Atta was caught by police before the 9/11 attacks and the FBI let him go. THAT IS FAILURE TO PROTECT YOUR PEOPLE!

80sU2isBest said:
u2bonogirl,
The truth is that most liberaals probably wouldn't care, because they seem to find nothing wrong with a man using the power the American people entrusted to him, to seduce young women less than half his age, and using tax-payed facilities as the location for cheating on his wife. They don't even seem to care that he lied to a federal grand jury about it.

FUCK THOSE PINKO-COMMIE-NAZI-TREE HUGGIN'-HOMO LOVIN' LIBERALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

AND NO....IT'S NOT CONTRADICTING TO BE A COMMIE AND A NAZI.

Can someone please explain to me why the Monica Lewinsky scandal affected the way he governed our country. Looking at my stocks from the 90's, looking at the value of the dollar, looking at the effectiveness of homeland security.......doesn't seem like Monica Lewinsky negatively impacted America.

80sU2isBest said:

fg, in case you missed my point, I'll express it again.

People are suddenly up in arms over perceived abuses of power by the Bush admin, as if the Bush admin had somehow invented abuse of power. Why is that, when Clinton and Janet Reno were responsible for things like Ruby Ridge and Waco?

not quite apples to oranges ... more like acorns to oak trees.

unosdostres14 said:
Clinton: Biggest deficit to biggest surplus
Bush: Biggest surplus to biggest deficit

Clinton: Rising value of dollar
Bush: Falling value of dollar

Clinton: More jobs created than lost.
Bush: More jobs lost than crated.

clinton economic boom: started durring end of h.w. bush's term
w. bush's recession- started durring end of clinton's term with the popping of the dot.com bubble

eh.. but who's counting.

the rise and fall of the economy had nothing to do with either clinton nor bush. the economy is cyclical... it goes up, it goes down.

and low and behold, it's slowly been going up over the last year.

and i'm not a betting man, but something tells me that sometime in the next 10-12 years, it's gonna go down again. just a hunch.

I'll take the eight years of unprecedented economic prosperity we had under Clinton back in a heart beat. If he wants to get a BJ, whatever, just as long as he improves his taste in women.

FYI, it was Bush that sent the troops to Somalia:

With only weeks left in his term as president, George Bush responds to the UN request, proposing that US combat troops lead an international UN force to secure the environment for relief operations. On December 5, the UN accepts his offer, and Bush orders 25,000 US troops into Somalia. On December 9th, the first US Marines land on the beach.

Bush assures the American people and troops involved that this is not an open ended commitment; the objective is to quickly provide a secure environment so that food can get through to the starving Somalis, and then the operation will be turned over to the UN peacekeeping forces. He assures the public that he plans for the troops to be home by Clinton's inauguration in January.

Last edited:
unosdostres14 said:

And by having the affair with Monica, he failed to protect his people? Those are unrelated things....

Dude, read what I wrote. I clearly outlined earlier in the thread what the "failure to protect his people" was, and it wasn't Monica. The failure to protect his people came when he allowed his feds to murder a 13 year old, fleeing boy and unarmed woman at Ruby Ridge, and the when he allowed his feds to attack a compound full of innocent women and Children that eventually resulted in most of their deaths. It was also "failure to protect his people" when he didn't allow his soldiers in Somalia to fire their weapons, even in defense.

unosdostres14 said:

Bush on the other hand received a report on his desk from the CIA discussing Bin Laden's plan to attack US destinations with airplanes.

Did he? Or is that just unsubstantiated rumor? And was it on his desk, or someone else's? And did it include specifics, or just general warnings, like the kind the president gets every single day?

unosdostres14 said:
Mohammed Atta was caught by police before the 9/11 attacks and the FBI let him go. THAT IS FAILURE TO PROTECT YOUR PEOPLE!

Did this really happen? If so, decide what you want. One one hand, liberals don't want people being held if there is no evidence against them, but now you say Mohammed Atta should have been held. Which way do you want it?

80sU2isBest said:
u2bonogirl,

you're right, i don't care. i really don't. he can fuck whoever he wants, so long as he doesn't fuck up the country and/or the world. i don't look to the president to provide me with some sort of moral compass (good gosh, imagine, looking to a *politician* for morality!!!), but i do look for a president to govern effectively.

this would be a different matter, however, if one could prove the exchange of sexual favors for either political influence or political advancement. my understanding is that there was none of that beyond what a typical white house intern might receive as a result of having that on her resume.

and still, the exchange of sexual favors for some kind of advancement, while deplorable, shrinks in comparison to what the Bush administration has done.

randhail said:
FYI, it was Bush that sent the troops to Somalia:

With only weeks left in his term as president, George Bush responds to the UN request, proposing that US combat troops lead an international UN force to secure the environment for relief operations. On December 5, the UN accepts his offer, and Bush orders 25,000 US troops into Somalia. On December 9th, the first US Marines land on the beach.

:up:

Clinton received the blame for Somalia, but as a friend of mine (who is rather into Mogadishu) aptly puts it, "It was a political football left over from the Bush administration."

80sU2isBest said:

Did he? Or is that just unsubstantiated rumor? And was it on his desk, or someone else's? And did it include specifics, or just general warnings, like the kind the president gets every single day?

it said "BIN LADEN DETERMINED TO STRIKE WITHIN THE U.S."

this memo is common knowledge and was circulated in august 2001.

unosdostres14 said:

FUCK THOSE PINKO-COMMIE-NAZI-TREE HUGGIN'-HOMO LOVIN' LIBERALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Remember folks, it wasn't I who said that - it was unosdostres14.

In fact, I didn't even imply it.

I simply stated a fact. Liberals don't seem to care about Clinton's affair with Monica, or even that he lied to a federal grand jury about it. Am I wrong? Does any perosn who identifies themself as a liberal care about these things?

unosdostres14 said:

Can someone please explain to me why the Monica Lewinsky scandal affected the way he governed our country. Looking at my stocks from the 90's, looking at the value of the dollar, looking at the effectiveness of homeland security.......doesn't seem like Monica Lewinsky negatively impacted America.
:lol:

The only point I was trying to make was what do you think the difference in reaction would be with Bush as compared to Clinton
People would attack Bushes faith, saying that his professed faith in God and love for his wife are bullshit. I believe that people probably would have a different reaction in other words
If Bush lied under oath people would be in uproar
Whereas a lot of people sat in their livingrooms and laughed at the TV while watching the Clinton news.

Back
Top Bottom