Ah The Glory Days Of The Clinton Admin - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2005, 11:19 AM   #61
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:34 PM
i think all countries were in agreement as to the available intelligence.

they did not all agree as to what action was appropriate in response to this intelligent.

i think it's safe to say that, while all mentioned countries could say, "yes, we believe, based upon the intelligence we have, that this is the situation." however, only ONE country thought a war was the correct response to this situation. only ONE country thought that SH and Iraq posed a clear and present danger (sorry, a "grave and gathering danger") to the US. only ONE country thought invasion was the solution to this country. and now, only ONE country has lost essentially all credibility.

the intelligence, in and of itself, is beside the point. it's what was done about the intelligence that matters.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:24 AM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

they did not all agree as to what action was appropriate in response to this intelligent.

i think it's safe to say that, while all mentioned countries could say, "yes, we believe, based upon the intelligence we have, that this is the situation." however, only ONE country thought a war was the correct response to this situation. only ONE country thought that SH and Iraq posed a clear and present danger (sorry, a "grave and gathering danger") to the US. only ONE country thought invasion was the solution to this country. and now, only ONE country has lost essentially all credibility.
That's not true Melon. Several countries agreed, and that is evidenced by the fact that those countried attacked with us.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:28 AM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

That's not true Melon. Several countries agreed, and that is evidenced by the fact that those countried attacked with us.

firstly, i'm Irvine.

anyway, yes, this "coalition of the willing."

garbage. it is not evidence in any way, shape, or form that they agreed with us that the intelligence spelled out a "clear and present danger" to the USA (or London, or Paris, or wherever).

many went along with us because we were going to do it whether they liked it or not. we paid Turkey, what, $34B to let us keep troops they and they still refused? most sent an absolute bare minimum of troops, and many countries that supported the action (like, say, The Marshall Islands) were simply trying to curry favor with the Bush administration.

and let's compare this "coalition" (don't forget Poland!!!) to what Bush Sr and Jim Baker were able to assemble in 1991.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:03 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:34 PM
I want Clinton back. Seriously. I do.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:09 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

the intelligence, in and of itself, is beside the point. it's what was done about the intelligence that matters.
There was more than one country involved in the invasion.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:10 PM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

firstly, i'm Irvine.
I get you two confused all the time too. All you Gay men look alike online.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:19 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:04 PM
Is there a rule preventing a previous President from becoming vice-President?

Why does the President have a spokesperson come out every day and say what the President thinks and believes?

How come it seems that it is easier to get an audience with the Queen of England than the President? Our PM gets interviewed in the back of cars and hallways sometimes.

Just wondering, I'm an ignorant Canuck.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:27 PM   #68
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

There was more than one country involved in the invasion.

and they all had different motivations.

agreeing with the US on whether or not the intelligence justified a pre-emptive strike was probably not much of a consideration for those few (by comparison to 1991, *very* few) countries that did send troops.

gaining favor with a new American administration at the very beginning of a potential 8 years in power was probably of much greater importance.

still, most of the deaths have been Americans.

i suppose we should feel good about that?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:28 PM   #69
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I get you two confused all the time too. All you Gay men look alike online.

i'm the Jude Law look-alike.

all i know about Melon is that he's tall and thin.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:31 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:34 PM
Quote:

all i know about Melon is that he's tall and thin.

and cute
Old 06-24-2005, 12:34 PM   #71
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Is there a rule preventing a previous President from becoming vice-President?

Why does the President have a spokesperson come out every day and say what the President thinks and believes?

How come it seems that it is easier to get an audience with the Queen of England than the President? Our PM gets interviewed in the back of cars and hallways sometimes.

Just wondering, I'm an ignorant Canuck.

1. no, i don't think so
2. all politicians have press secretaries -- from the most junior member of congress to the President. generally, the WH spokesman answers questions every single day, and it is generally accepted that the President is too busy to prepare for a press conference every single day. however, most Presidents do have press conferences, frequently, and take questions from reporters; Bush is a notable exception in that he rarely speaks to the press.
3. the president is different from a Prime Minister. my understanding is that, at least in the UK, the PM is the head of whichever political party is in power, and government is done mostly through coalition building. it's a slower process, but perhaps more thorough. by contrast, the President is in charge not of a political party but of the executive branch of the government (the others being the legislative and the judicial). he weilds greater power within the US than the PM does within the UK. i think there's a tradition of viewing the office of the Presidency as somewhat above the rest of Congress, and you'll notice that reporters usually stand when a President enters the room, and this is not true of the PM (from what i understand).

also, i think it's a mistake to view the President of the US as the equivalent of any other head of state. sorry if that sounds arrogant, but i do think it's true. no other man on earth wields the power he does, and this makes him a great target for assassination. i would imagine that no reporter could walk up to Bush and interview him (as you say they do with the Canadian PM) is because access to Bush is restricted due to safety concerns (we do have a history of presidential assassinations).

but i was just an english major. any political scientists want to add more?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

i suppose we should feel good about that?
Please...tell me that I am not reading too much into that....

You are not implying that I feel good about that are you?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:37 PM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Past presidents who have served 8 years are not eligible. They have to be able to serve. Bush the father could. Ford could. Carter could.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:40 PM   #74
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Please...tell me that I am not reading too much into that....

You are not implying that I feel good about that are you?

i suppose what i meant was that at least non-Americans aren't being killed (in large numbers) because of mistakes made by the Bush administration. i am not implying that you feel good about Americans dying, but perhaps we should be greatful that we're reaping what we're sowing and not getting too many others (besides all those tens of thousands of Iraqis) killed?

that might be very callous of me. i'll have to think about it.

i think i was just reacting to the idea that because there was more than one country that was part of the invasion, that the invasion was therefore done by a coalition.

it wasn't a coalition in any sort of meaningful sense. this isn't to discount the sacrafices made by Italians, Poles, and Japanese soldiers; but it is to discount any notion that this was some sort of international effort akin to 1991.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:44 PM   #75
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:34 PM
Quote:
Past presidents who have served 8 years are not eligible.
:: phew ::

Join Amnesty.