Ah-nold starts a third party?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/041129/whispers/29whisplead.htm

Alien Arnold
California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has a plan for the future. Friends say the Austrian-born actor is looking for an "entity" to help him push for changing the nativity provision of the U.S. Constitution so he can run for president. Two ideas are under study. One is to work with Congress to change the law barring foreign-born American citizens from becoming president, then to sell it to states. Another is bolder and riskier: creating a third party to push his idea, a move that may lose him Republican support.

could it work? who would be in this party? what would it's platform be? where would it stand on social issues? economic? military? what current politicians would hang up their R or D hat and joint? could Arnold save the country from a 2nd civil war or is he just a more muscular Ross Perot? could the Republicans ever support a pro-choice, pro-stem cell, pro-gay, pro-medicinal marijuana politican who has smoked dope, had a whole bunch of sex (sometimes in groups!), and is married to a Kennedy on a national ticket? could Arnold be secretly plotting to destroy the Republican party as we know it? to set the McCain-Giuliani wing against the Santorum-DeLay faction?

discuss ...

I like his stance on many issues, but it still scares me a bit and I don't like the idea of changing the Constitution for him or anyone else. I think maybe he's power hungry

Has he had more sex than Clinton? :wink:

If Arnold chose the third party route, it would be the ego party. Name recognition will only carry you so far. And both parties have plenty of political ammo stockpiled to take out Arnold.

I'm one for third parties, but I'm not for change of the constitution for only one person. Seems like we're a little too eager to change the constitution these days and it's not even for the overwhelming majority.

I agree with Arnold on a few issues, but I really don't want to see an arrogant mysoginist ass in the office, especially one that did Kindergarden Cop.

I don't like the mysogynist crap either :down: He tries to pass it all off as joking and fun. Many men who are like that try the same tactic.

I guess since Maria says he's not like that though, we should just believe that ;)

I always thought that was the most idiotic part of our government....only 2 main partys?? That's like having a jury with an even number of poeple! Where's the tie-breaker? The U.S. is too stupid to change though so I'll believe it when I see it.

I don't agree with changing the natural-born president thing though.

I don't think they should change the constitution for one guy. Maybe if I was a bigger fan of Schwarzenegger's I'd support it, and well, heck, he is a moderate and moderate presidents are OK by me. But I can't see myself voting for the guy, period. There are too many things that annoy me about the guy.

whitehead said:
I always thought that was the most idiotic part of our government....only 2 main partys?? That's like having a jury with an even number of poeple! Where's the tie-breaker? The U.S. is too stupid to change though so I'll believe it when I see it.
I strongly agree with this. There's got to be more than 2 sides to a story. At least sometimes.

Get that constitutional amendment through and the flood gates will be opened and then what will you get?

U2 Democrat / A_Wanderer united party ticket 2032 :wink: (we all know that I will have established longstanding ties with organised crime and will use my multi billion dollar fortune to "swing" such an unlikely ticket into existence, mwhoahaha.

In a slightly less megalomaniacal tone allowing foreign born citizens to run for such an office would not be such a great idea, but President Ahhnold would be a good movie.

Last edited:
I really have trouble seeing how this guy is Republican. I mean I know he's pro-big business, but most democrats are. I mean, this is the captialist centre.
It's weird, he is seen as such a manly man, but he supports so many "woman's" issues. He confuses me...

Oh, and i think foreign born citizens should be able to run for president. Of course we should have a expectation like, one must be a legal citizen of the US for X many years (I'm thinking like 25-30)
Oh, and why are we Americans so damn afraid of mending the constitution (look, I didn't even capitalize it). It's just paper. Hell, within the constitution it calls that it should be changed to keep with the times...the elasticity clause i believe.

Last edited:
blueyedpoet said:
I really have trouble seeing how this guy is Republican. I mean I know he's pro-big business, but most democrats are. I mean, this is the captialist centre.
It's weird, he is seen as such a manly man, but he supports so many "woman's" issues. He confuses me...
That's why I would never vote for him. So many women's issues, so few fetal issues. He's basically a liberal to me who supports tax cuts and a few other financial conservative issues.

Actually, I don't think birthplace should determine a person's right to run for president. Generally I think the law is ridiculous and they should change it, but there is always a card to play concerning a foreign-born person alot of people don't want in the White House. For a long time it was Kissinger, now it's Schwarzenegger.

and for all you Democrats .... the "arnold amendment" would allow us to get the very lovely and talented Jennifer Granholm, governor of Michigan (and Canadian). she's a perfect, perfect VP candidate -- female, successful, and from a Midwestern sort of swing state.

I think one must be careful about ammending the constitution, it's not just a piece of paper. I agree being born here doesn't make a lot of sense as a qualifier. But one guy with a little bit of clout comes along and asks for it to change to suit his needs. Ok so we change it, then another person comes along gets a little clout and says that the minimum 14 years of living here doesn't make sense for me. So we change it, next thing we know someone slips under the radar wins the presidency and destroys are country from within. I know this is an extreme case, but hopefully you see my point. I agree we should ammend our constitution with the changing of times, that's one of the beauties of our constitution. But for one man? A change in the constitution should benefit all. We don't want people changing the constitution because one guy comes in this group really likes him so then they change term limits so he can stay longer, then make a few more changes next thing we know we have a dictator.

as this also relates to other recent proposals to change the constitution, i thought i'd let television's most intelligent show, The Simpsons, offer us a bit of insight:

[Little Boy] Hey, who left all this garbage on the steps of Congress?

[Amendment] I'm not garbage
I'm an amendment to be
Yes, an amendment to be
And I'm hoping that they'll ratify me
There's a lot of flag-burners who have got too much freedom
I want to make it legal for policemen to beat 'em
'Cause there's limits to our liberties
At least, I hope and pray that there are
'Cause those liberal freaks go too far

[Little Boy] But why can't we just make a law against flag burning?

[Amendment] Because that law would be unconstitutional
But if we change the constitution -

[Little Boy] - Then we could make all sorts of crazy laws!

[Amendment] Now you're catching on!

[Little Boy] But what if they say you're not good enough to be in the constitution?

[Amendment] Then I'll crush all opposition to me!
And I'll make Ted Kennedy pay
If he fights back, I'll say that he's gay

[Congressman] Good news, amendment! They ratified you!
You're in the US Constitution!

[Amendment] Oh, yeah! Door's open, boys!

Damn straight, and that little cartoon designed to appeal to Gen-X-ers also had the wonderfull reference to St. Curley.

A_Wanderer said:
Get that constitutional amendment through and the flood gates will be opened and then what will you get?

U2 Democrat / A_Wanderer united party ticket 2032

:yikes:

We'll have to have a paxetaurora/DaveC Democratic ticket to run against you!

I suppose that might settle this once and for all. :wink:

whitehead said:

I don't agree with changing the natural-born president thing though.

If people want to win badly enough, they're naturally going to make alliances and compromises until there are two or fewer main political parties.

As posted previously - the Constitution is a very sacred document, not to be changed and amended at the whim of any ol' rich politician. It’s spookin the heck outta me that he may actually get this thru. :madspit:
I live in California and im dumbfounded every time I see Arnold on TV, hes the most slimy and despicable type of political (thats pretty bad aint it? or just redundant... ummm?) He ran under the Republican Party but will support anything he finds to be popular and will boost his own numbers. You can’t even say he follows the Republican party line of less gov’t cause he supports bonds and other types of measures that expand bureaucracy. Whatever will make him look good is the policy he goes by.
The whole stem cell thing was a joke - it wasn’t just saying "California is cool with stem cell research!" it was "Hey Biotech come to California, we fund you up to $350 MILLION dollars for your stem cell research on the backs of the California tax payers!" Yet the commercials for this proposition would have every slightly naive Californian believing a no vote would be equal to killing millions of Christopher Reeves in one punch of a voter card. Disgusting. blah.
I think the thing that spooks me most about him, he can win votes. His ability to be pro choice, pro business and talk to the lowest common denominator of voter ... works... :mad:

I don’t know if you can tell, but I don’t like Arnold. Not one bit. :huh:

why is the constitution such sacred text? i don't understand why people feel this way. many western countries don't even have a constitution. in addition, the framers of said document fashioned it in such a way to welcome change. and, actually that is why the document is so cool, it wasn't meant to remain the same - supposed to static

blueyedpoet said:
why is the constitution such sacred text? i don't understand why people feel this way. many western countries don't even have a constitution. in addition, the framers of said document fashioned it in such a way to welcome change. and, actually that is why the document is so cool, it wasn't meant to remain the same - supposed to static

[Little Boy] But why can't we just make a law against flag burning?

[Amendment] Because that law would be unconstitutional
But if we change the constitution -

[Little Boy] - Then we could make all sorts of crazy laws!

[Amendment] Now you're catching on!

[Amendment] Then I'll crush all opposition to me!
And I'll make Ted Kennedy pay
If he fights back, I'll say that he's gay

[Congressman] Good news, amendment! They ratified you!
You're in the US Constitution!

[Amendment] Oh, yeah! Door's open, boys!

that's why.

that implies that all the laws set in motion by the original text are sufficient for the rest of america's perverbial life. It's a shame i guess that that "crazy laws" like outlawing slavery were added to the original. the constitution has within it a portion known as the elasticity clause. the framers knew that times change, subsequently additions, negations etc would need to take place. It's only been in the last ten or so years that we have been afraid of touching the constitution. in addition, it's not very easy for ammendments or clauses to be ratified. i think like two-thirds in congress need to ratify as do two-thirds of the states. someone with the exact info please feel free to correct me on the ratification process.

Back
Top Bottom