After Beslan, its Jakarta - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 09-09-2004, 05:57 AM   #16
New Yorker
Local Time: 07:53 PM
Wanderer-- so this seems like it's al Qaeda I'm assuming. what does Australia think about what the US is doing in Afghanistan vs. Iraq? Same question posed to any of you in Spain, particularly after the bombing there in March.

Not trying to start a fight but we in the U.S. don't hear very often what those outside of the country think about our policies.

Old 09-09-2004, 06:54 AM   #17
Jesus Online
Local Time: 11:53 AM
I think Jemaah Islamiah are being blamed for this. Iraq might have a little more approval as there is more to hate in Hussein etc. Both have been debated into the ground and both fuel more reasons to hate Howard who's head remains firmly up W's arse.

<a href= target=_blank></a>
Old 09-09-2004, 10:32 AM   #18
Local Time: 12:53 AM
I think A_Wanderer raised an interesting point back there, about how it is important to stand by your principle no matter what. The ultimate test, I think, would be for interested parties to say 'I would be prepared to die for such an ideal'. In other words, A_Wanderer - you.

'If the price of holding true to ones alliances is paid in blood then so be it.' That could well be substantial enough, but what if its 'your' blood? It sounds good, but I for one don't want my blood to be spilled, and I would not be happy at all for it to be spilled in the name of an increasingly controversial war.

I take issue with the deaths of the innocents, some of whom probably did not support the direction in which the War Against Terrorism has taken, while those who decide war are protected in their offices, be they in the White House or Downing Street.

I am not attacking you, A_Wanderer, if those are your convictions then I am glad that you find it acceptable to die for them - I would not. This is a tragedy, and it must have been a particular tragedy for those that were killed and who didn't even support the West's current military actions. In this War against Terrorism, it really does look like its the people who pay for it, not politicians.

Razors pain you; Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you; And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful; Nooses give;
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 09-09-2004, 02:40 PM   #19
Local Time: 11:53 AM
I guess it wont be long before there is a blast on Australian soil, it is terrible that these things are happening, but I do believe that if Australia was not involved in this whole 'war on terror' then we would not be targeted. I dont believe in the war on Terror and I dont believe or support Australian intervention in this war. Extremists of any denomination are a dangerous breed- what is the answer? do we get rid of them all, say no to any form of extremist action and create a golbal ethnocentric world????

I do believe that the world is slowly becoming a bi-polar world again, this time instead of it being east and west it is christian and muslim fighting each other, I guess that the only thing that nations can do is ask themselves where they stand and I firmly believe that Australian foreign policy should be very careful, not intimidated, but careful as we reside below the largest Muslim country in the world (Indonesia). I think Australian foregin policy should be respectuful of our neighbours and get away form the current "American ass licking political rhetoric' that we have been hearing since 911.......................waffling, I know, but basically I dont think that there are many Australians who agree with Australian intervention on the 'war on terror' and therefore to use A_Wanderers school of thought, I dont think that backing out would be giving in and therefore as I see it Australia would be making a much bigger political statement (listening to its people) and standing up for itself, rather than being a shadow and political whore of America
Old 09-09-2004, 05:56 PM   #20
love, blood, life
Local Time: 10:53 AM
I would not just lay down my life unconditionally to a cause, but I would be willing to be placed at risk, as we are now. We have gone (in the Islamist eyes) from being much hated infidels to slightly more much hated infidels. I have no problem with this if it means if we can hold true to our alliances and our real friends. We will never fully be an Asian nation, we shouldnt have any illusion that we can - engage strongly with Asia for sure but when push comes to shove and there is a major threat I would much rather have the USA on side.

This is all a moot point though because when it comes to western targets in SE Asia we are it, JI and other Islamist groups will kill innocent people no matter what, the responsibility for us is to make sure that their violence does not give them control over our decisions.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:11 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 08:53 PM
Every man has the right for himself to decide how he wants to live his life. I don't believe he has a right to decide whether it's fine for other innocent people to be given up. Sorry, I don't want my brother blown up, or my mother or my lover. If you want to sacrifice yours in the name of your alliance, feel free to do so, but you've got no right to make decisions about the worth of other people's families.

I lived once through this type of "individual has no worth compared to the society" belief system once, it was called Communism and once was quite enough for me, thank you very much.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:10 AM   #22
War Child
Local Time: 01:53 AM
I find so sad the things we have to use forums to speak about such a tragic reality.
Why can't we live together in peace?
Old 09-13-2004, 08:23 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Originally posted by anitram
Every man has the right for himself to decide how he wants to live his life.

does it include suicide bombers ?
Old 09-13-2004, 10:01 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 02:53 AM
on and on and on and on and on..............i'm sick and sad, i can't stand it anymore