Africa Help!!!! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2004, 02:33 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:40 AM
Africa Help!!!!

Hello FYM friends.

I am at church this morning and the priest quoted extensively someone we all apparently love dearly, Bono.

She happened to be looking for someone to educate the church about AIDS in Africa and what we as a church can do to help.

My wife, turns to me and I to her and we decided to do this together. Its not like raising two kids, working as an officer in the lions club, and entering into a four year lay minister course is enough on the plate.

What I am asking from you, since I am willing to bet my pinky that there are many more of you more knowledgeable on this topic, where should I go for information. What books, jounals, magzines, and websites should my wife and I use to begin our research.

Peace,

Matt

Old 09-26-2004, 03:22 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:40 AM
Maybe one of many good sites which has some valuable information is www.unaids.org

Up there, you will find a keyword search field, you can search by region. Decide for Sub-Saharan Africa. Then click on the little arrow below to start the search.

Old 09-26-2004, 03:25 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

On my way hip hop...thanks.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:40 AM
A good friend of mine works for an AIDS centre. He told me that nowadays it is possible to live for a very long time when you got AIDS, but that the drugs for therapy cost around 25,000 $ per year.

It is clear that no African can afford that. Now, in Europe, we got (state) health care systems, they pay for those drugs, so you can be sure to get the best medical treatment.

One problem in Africa is, that many countries are just too poor or undeveloped to offer any health care system, so the state does not pay for drugs.

Also, many meds could be created cheaper than for 25 grand per year/ person in other countries, but many U.S. pharma companies do not allow anyone to reproduce their drugs (because they got the patent, want to make the big money themselves).

So, some campaigning for the free reproduction (by any pharma company) of existing meds against AIDS would be useful.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:41 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 03:40 AM
That's so neat Dread!

Everything I need to know is always at data.org
Old 09-26-2004, 03:43 PM   #6
Refugee

Data also has petitions to bring to your congregation to sign and will also alert you as to when to call the government.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:01 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, DATA is really helpful especially for youth like middle schoolers and high schoolers without strong political and economic knowledge.

I took a class freshmen year called Politics of AIDS in Africa. If I can find the binder, there might be some good sources listed in there...
Old 09-26-2004, 08:56 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:40 AM
Dreadsox, we did a whole thread about Africa and its development challenges plus news sources and organizations to go to on the Internet for more info.

Check out the PLEBAns section and look for the thread Merc started on Africa - it will begin to lead you into the right directions.

Plus, when you go to DATA's site, click on the "POLICY" icon and then click on the "Policy Library" icon and you will be led to some of the BEST and MOST RELIABLE info on Africa you can find on the web.

I would suggest you get a copy of "The aWAKE Project: Uniting against the African AIDS Crisis" if you don't already have one. It is like the primer for faith-based organizations to get their feet wet on the AIDS crisis in Africa.

It has articles in it by Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu, Jimmy Carter, Kofi Annan, Danny Glover, Dikembe Mutombo and others well known for their advocacy and first-hand experience in Africa.

Of course, we all know that Bono has a section in the book too as well as having one of the pics he took years ago in Ethiopia (1985) on the front cover!

Go to http://www.wpublishinggroup.com for more info on that book.

And, as Boston Anne has said, DATA has a WONDERFUL section on Faith based activism for Africa at its website. Click on the Why Me? icon on the front page and then click on the Your Faith icons to get their EXCELLENT info on the AIDS pandemic and the importance of Faith-based responses to it.

Best wishes for success with your awareness raising, both for your church and yourselves. You will find once you get into the very sad realities of AIDS and extreme poverty in Africa, you will not be the same again!

God will move your heart to speak out and to act, even if it is to get your church involved in supporting The ONE Campaign's fight for Africa's Future (http://www.theonecampaign.org) and maybe table a sign up booth in your church or community for them just like I did today. (which is why I'm so late in reading your post)

Let us know, Dreadsox, of your progress. And if you ever need a cheerleader for your endeavors, I am always here.

I think the B-man would thank you.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:33 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

The aWAKE project would be an excellent source as well as www.data.org , www.faith4life.com, www.stopglobalaids.com

Also I think it would be really important to try to become familiar with Africa's poli/social history. So you can better comprehend why Africa is where it's at today.

I volunteer in my spare time here in the states with AIDs clients and am planning a trip to Africa this summer...if you need anymore help or advice you can email me!

Bono would be grateful and God can see your faith in action James 1:27 I pray that your ministry will be successful.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:16 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Good for you!

Try

www.apathyislethal.org
Old 09-27-2004, 08:05 AM   #11
New Yorker

Hi Dread! I'm so glad you're back!

Here's a great site on debt and trade stats

http://jubileeresearch.org

The Center for Economic and Policy Research has good in-depth stuff. http://cepr.org

And Oxfam's Make Trade Fair campaign is right on! http://maketradefair.com

Finally, if you're after news you won't find on any US network, check out allafrica.com

SD
Old 09-27-2004, 02:49 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Thanks to everyone from the heart.

Sherry, good to be back, in a limited capacity (no comments from the galery please).

Busy does not quite describe what I am right now.

Peace
Old 09-27-2004, 02:57 PM   #13
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 08:40 AM
Could you please tell me where in africa the AIDS-education should hapen?
Maybee i know a volunteer to help out in that issue who is in africa right now

(you can send it to me via e-mail too:
u2@extrema.de)
Old 09-30-2004, 02:12 PM   #14
Refugee

How's your research going Dread?

If you haven't already - check out Bono's speech at the Labour Party Conference.

The video:
http://www.labourconference2004.ukcouncil.net/

More:
http://www.data.org/worldwide/uk/

I also wanted to make sure you didn't miss this part of the DATA.org site:

http://www.data.org/whyme/yourfaith/
Old 10-01-2004, 09:44 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Klaus, I am supposed to be doing a presentation at my church here in Massachusetts.

Anne, thanks for the post.

Research is started. I am still waiting to find out what the Diocese wants.